Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
I could see the true comment being 'top line potential" and that could give you Buff and Barker. I feel like you're reading my mind though.

Vertseeg could potentially be one of those players too, if there is any substance to this.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
Vertseeg could potentially be one of those players too, if there is any substance to this.

I was just going to post this. They are moving Versteeg, especially after having to give him the $$ prematurely.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
I was just going to post this. They are moving Versteeg, especially after having to give him the $$ prematurely.

I didn't think about Versteeg. He would fall into the category of "potential top liner." It seems so weird they messed up with him.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
I didn't think about Versteeg. He would fall into the category of "potential top liner." It seems so weird they messed up with him.

Ugh, they messed up with 25% of the roster. I was hoping the news was about DT's canning!

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
I think replacing Tallon with the young Bowman is a way for a few different voices to make calls, instead of having one an actual GM. There have been rumors for a while now there are one too many voices in the Hawks front office in terms of hockey decisions, and John McD. didn't get along with Tallon. I think bumping up the inexperienced Bowman allows others to have more of a say, which could be troubling.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tallon was fired at some point in the next few months, but not less then a week before the Hawks convention. Certainly not in the same week they have the press conference for Hossa. Talk about a 3 ring circus. McDonugh has his hands in the pie, but the timing of this if true is not his M.O

I don't see him taking the pr hit so close to the convention.

I really doubt they would fire him at this time, and I dont see it anywhere as it would be quite big news, so nicely I say i think your full of it or you heard bad source, but hey we could find out your right

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
I wouldn't be shocked if Tallon was fired at some point in the next few months, but not less then a week before the Hawks convention. Certainly not in the same week they have the press conference for Hossa. Talk about a 3 ring circus. McDonugh has his hands in the pie, but the timing of this if true is not his M.O

I don't see him taking the pr hit so close to the convention.

Wasn't it not right when Savard was removed so early in the season last year as well? It was quite a story if I remember especially considering he's such an ambassador in the city.

Josh Mora is also reporting this.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
I don't mind the firing of Tallon but to replace him with a guy without experience at being a GM, I think is a bit much. Then again I suppose he will be relying a lot on his dad too...so who knows.

Especially considering Tallon could only be fired by contract issues and Sassone wrote this:

Stan Bowman has been with the organization for eight years, the last two as assistant GM. Bowman was responsible for matters pertaining to th e collective bargaining agreement and contract negotiations.

So if he's overpaying for some players, he's getting replaced by the guy who negotiates. Don't all contracts have to be approved by someone higher than Tallon anyway? Isn't anyone checking on the contracts going out in the mail except for Tallon? I think for all the Tallon haters, this is going to be a case of be careful what you wish for, of course if the Hawks don't win, they will just say its because Tallon put them against the wall with the cap

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Was it because he f***ed up the paperwork on the new contracts?

Of course. That combined with the botched FA signings of Khabibulin, Huet, and Campbell and the writing was on the wall. I'm elated... he was in over his head. He's a f***ing color commentator, not a GM of a team that has Stanley Cup aspirations.

The Bowman takeover continues.

These COULD be combined in the NHL thread.

From what we've been hearing, sounds like this was in the works for a while, especially with Rocky & McDonough as the new bosses, wanting their guy in the position. The issue with the late qualifying offers gave them a better reason/front to do it right now and not wait til later.