Giants acquire Ryan Garko

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Ryan Garko-1B-Indians Jul. 27 - 9:25 pm et

According to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse, the Giants have acquired first baseman Ryan Garko from the Indians for LHP Scott Barnes and a PTBNL.

The Giants have been eyeing a first baseman to replace Travis Ishikawa, and Garko is a nice fit. The 28-year old is batting .285/.362/.464 this season with 11 home runs and 39 RBI. He's a force against left-handed pitchers and is under team control through 2012. Barnes, 21, has gone 12-3 with a 2.85 ERA and a 99/29 K/BB ratio in 18 starts (99 innings) for Single-A San Jose.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
This is a modest upgrade for the Giants. Not going to give them enough to win the wildcard though.

They still need a power hitting RF, but Garko is quite the improvement over Ishikawa.

8:46pm: MLB.com's Anthony Castovince says there is no player to named in the deal. It's Garko for Barnes, straight up.

Solid trade by the Giants as Barnes was definitely expandable and they sold high on Barnes who seems to be a good but not great prospect (although he has been dominating this year in advanced A ball).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
I really wish we were sellers right now with the huge prices teams seem to be paying for average players. The Giants #9 prospect could be top 5 in many systems.

I understand what you're saying, but I think the value of prospects are getting a bit out of hand right now. The entire reason they became so valuable over the last several years is because of the STEEP financial cost of proven quality veterans. However, now that cost has decreased. If quality veterans are available at reasonable prices, then the value of prospects correspondingly decreases, and the best move becomes to trade some of these kids you're not particularly high on...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:51 AM)
I understand what you're saying, but I think the value of prospects are getting a bit out of hand right now. The entire reason they became so valuable over the last several years is because of the STEEP financial cost of proven quality veterans. However, now that cost has decreased. If quality veterans are available at reasonable prices, then the value of prospects correspondingly decreases, and the best move becomes to trade some of these kids you're not particularly high on...

I want prospects added to the system to increase KW's ability to make bigger acquisitions in the offseason. Right now, our system is pretty thin if you consider Beckham and Richard to no longer be prospects. You're only looking at 5 or so legit guys in Danks, Dex Carter, Hudson, Viciedo, and Flowers (and potentially Mitchell)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
I want prospects added to the system to increase KW's ability to make bigger acquisitions in the offseason. Right now, our system is pretty thin if you consider Beckham and Richard to no longer be prospects. You're only looking at 5 or so legit guys in Danks, Dex Carter, Hudson, Viciedo, and Flowers (and potentially Mitchell)

Poreda?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)

Our system may only have 5 or 6 big prospects, but you also have to remember that many of our players drafted out of high school can almost come out of nowhere in the future. Trayce Thompson (since it seems like he is going to sign), Steven Upchurch, Nevin Griffith, or any other young prospect that I don't know about may play themselves up into that "legit" prospect status, making our farm system potentially deeper than it may appear. All it takes is one good year.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
Our system may only have 5 or 6 big prospects, but you also have to remember that many of our players drafted out of high school can almost come out of nowhere in the future. Trayce Thompson (since it seems like he is going to sign), Steven Upchurch, Nevin Griffith, or any other young prospect that I don't know about may play themselves up into that "legit" prospect status, making our farm system potentially deeper than it may appear. All it takes is one good year.

that, and a good scouting report. Right handed pitchers who top out at 87 can put up good numbers in Kannapolis; that doesn't mean they are going to be valuable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
Ha, sadly I forgot him.

The definition of "legit" is very fuzzy. but as far as that group of six (including Poreda) you mentioned, meaning MLB-starter-likely talent in the upper levels of the system, I think you need to start considering adding Shirek to that list.