Alexei goes after A.J.?

wilmot825

QUOTE (nastymasty21 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
I applaud AJ for getting in Alexei's face. Alexei tippy toed into 2nd for the throw and then gator armed it alomost giving casilla 3rd base on the over throw. Alexei's lackadaisical play at SS is killing this team.

AJ's act is that he tells the truth even if it gets under someone's skin. Alexei needs to be the one shipped out of town if he doesn't get his act together or he at least needs to move back to 2B. He's had over a half of a season at short now which is supposedly his natural position. Beckham is already showing big improvement at a position he barely played until he had to learn on the job. If Alexei needs to be the centerpiece of a Halladay deal, so be it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:58 AM)
To his credit, A.J. has become a better defensive catcher over the past year and a half. He's also swinging the bat nicely. Plus, I don't think that Flowers is anywhere near ready right now.

i'll agree that AJ has swung the bat nicely this year.....but i'm not sure we are watching the same games regarding AJs defense. He has become the worst defensive catcher i have ever seen play on an everyday basis. He lazily tries to stab and pick the ball instead of getting his ass down and blocking it. when he does try to block it, he's late getting down and doesn't smother it well.

He also has a horrendous throwing arm. Everyone complains about how our pitchers are so slow to the plate, and thats the reason why AJ can't throw anyone out. Well, Buerhle is just about the best in the league at holding runners, Richard is well above average, Danks is above average, Colon has been above average at it in his career. The two slow ones are contreras (who is really bad) and floyd who is bad, but a good throwing catcher would be OK with floyd on the bump. He has a slow release, doesn't throw hard, and is VERY inaccurate. I caution Sox fans to not allow hawks BS about AJs defense cloud their own judgement.

not that Alexei is ozzie smith out there, but AJ is the last person who should be criticizing someones defense, especially since alexei had little chance to block that throw the threw into second

Edited by daa84

There's absolutely no denying AJs winning mentality. He seems to be the most passionate player on our team and I applaud him for trying draw that out of the rest of the players. Especially Alexei who seems to half ass at regularly. AJ exudes hustle and it's the things that most people don't notice that make him a special player... backing up first on every play, being completely in tune with the game situation when other players seem to be checked out. Last night he followed Brendan Harris down the line on an infield grounder - in full gear he was step for step with him. It was crazy to see live. If there was one complaint I have it's that he seems to swing at a ridiculously high number of 1st pitches recently. I'm not sure if it's just me thinking this but, last night he swung at the first pitch in at least two at bats. Seems to be a pretty high ratio of outs on one swing with him.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
Tyler Flowers can't come soon enough. AJ's act is getting old.

This was probably the most unintelligent comment i've seen this year. He's bee our most consistent offensive player over the past 5 years, and does a great job handling our pitching staff. He is also up there, if not, the most competitive player on our team. I personally appreciate someone telling Lexi to get his act together defensively, he makes the laziest errors out there, although it was probably not the best forum to do so.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:58 AM)
To his credit, A.J. has become a better defensive catcher over the past year and a half. He's also swinging the bat nicely. Plus, I don't think that Flowers is anywhere near ready right now.

AJ is the least of our worries-look at some of the catchers in MLB

I've never heard something more overstated than what was reported. They had some words, but it wasn't major.

I have a great deal of respect for AJ. He has caught so many innings since he's been here and done a solid job. I think the two throw outs a few games ago proves he can be at least average in that aspect if the pitchers give him any chance and for a catcher his offensive is OK.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
I have a great deal of respect for AJ myself. Yesterday is a red flag to me. I don't really mind him mouthing off to the other team, but leave White Sox players alone (especially in public) .

You have a problem with him calling out a teammates lazy play? I'm sorry, but I'm glad he did it, someone had to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
I think in-game is better. Not only is it immediate, when guys are thinking baseball, but it puts Alexei on the spot in front of the fans, which I am all for.

Jeter, Ripken Jr etc (good leaders) do not go that route. I think it's classless.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
Jeter, Ripken Jr etc (good leaders) do not go that route. I think it's classless.

First off, do you know they didn't? I don't think you could know that.

Second, its all opinion I guess, but if someone is out there giving plays the ole, or just not focusing, then they need a quick slap to the jaw. I liked it. Feel free to see it otherwise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
First off, do you know they didn't? I don't think you could know that.

Second, its all opinion I guess, but if someone is out there giving plays the ole, or just not focusing, then they need a quick slap to the jaw. I liked it. Feel free to see it otherwise.

I've watched a lot of baseball and that would have stood out to me. So show me that they did.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)

Didn't Ripken supposedly travel separately from the rest of the team, and even occasionally stayed in different hotels? I'm not sure he's the guy I'd use as an example.

Why didn't anyone ever do that with Brian Anderson for wasting his talent?

Second, whenever Ozzie and the team become embroiled in controversy and the media is circling like sharks, the team historically has played much better under Guillen....the "circling the wagons" effect.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I've watched a lot of baseball and that would have stood out to me. So show me that they did.

Circular argument - I never said they did or didn't, and I don't care, you brought them up as some sort of example, even though you made a statement you cannot prove.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
I have a great deal of respect for AJ myself. Yesterday is a red flag to me. I don't really mind him mouthing off to the other team, but leave White Sox players alone (especially in public) .

Red flag? I don't recall you trying to chase Dye out of town when he got in Cabrera's face last year. This is barely a blip on the radar, and frankly I'm glad someone did it. I'm getting tired of Alexei's constant brain farts.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Didn't Ripken supposedly travel separately from the rest of the team, and even occasionally stayed in different hotels? I'm not sure he's the guy I'd use as an example.

Ripken was much more of a jerk than the media let us know. I've heard second-hand stories about him treating young players like crap, and have read about him constantly undermining Davey Johnson's authority.