Brian Anderson traded to Red Sox for Mark Kotsay

Jimmywins1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
So is Kotsay now the 4th OF? If Wise is anything more than a late inning pinch runner I will be livid.

He's backup 1B who can also play LF or RF when needed. He's also the best pinch hitter we have. He can also be used as a pinch runner once in a while as he still has some speed.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
He's backup 1B who can also play LF or RF when needed. He's also the best pinch hitter we have. He can also be used as a pinch runner once in a while as he still has some speed.

I can't handle anymore Wise starts. He doesn't deserve another start with this team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
I can't handle anymore Wise starts. He doesn't deserve another start with this team.

Agreed, but I can handle it if he is used only as a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner. Any more playing time than that is too much.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. HE MADE A CATCH. HE IS A GOLDEN GOD AND HE'S HITTING .185 WITH A .228 OBP. HE NEEDS TO LEAD OFF MORE THAT MAKES US SEXY WINNERS.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. HE MADE A CATCH. HE IS A GOLDEN GOD AND HE'S HITTING .185 WITH A .228 OBP. HE NEEDS TO LEAD OFF MORE THAT MAKES US SEXY WINNERS.

I still can't believe we had him leadoff the game after he made the catch. That's just bad managing.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Now Hef. Sure he’s not doing anything to get on base. But he’s probably hitting the ball hard every now and again right? No, dummy. Weren’t you listening? This guy has almost no value with his bat. His slugging percentage is an impressive .313 which puts him behind such sluggers as David Eckstein (.322), Willy Tavaras (.335), and Yuniesky Betancourt (.344). He has 11 doubles, 1 triple, and three home runs (along with his 14 singles for a grand total of 29 hits all season). But at least he’s stealing bases, right Hef? Right? Totally. Of the 23 times he’s sat on first base this season (not counting fielder’s choice outs–14 singles, 8 walks and a HBP), he’s swiped 4 bags. But he’s also been caught twice for a SB rate of .667 which is below the magic number of 75% which is supposedly the break even point. So…he’s costing the team runs in the few times he’s actually getting on base. Which is bad. I think.

Ozzie and Walker ruined him with their racist inability to develop young talent!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)

He's played CF the last couple seasons as well - I don't think managers would have run him out there if couldn't play there as a backup.

He makes Wise useless, basically. You don't keep a guy on the roster just to pinch-run, except maybe in September with the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Is this yours, or someone else's? If it is someone else, please cite your source.

it was at http//:majorleaguejerk.com/2009/06/02/congratulations-chris-young-youre-the-worst-everyday-hitter-in-the-league/

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Kotsay is no help. I'm no fan of Josh Fields, but he going to AAA and Wise sticking around with this acquisition is very curious.

Why?

Kotsay is now the backup 1B.

Beckham plays almost every day at 3B.

Wise can play all the outfield positions better than Kotsay.

Wise shouldn't be on the team, but Fields has nowhere to play at all now with Kotsay here.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Why?

Wise shouldn't be on the team, but Fields has nowhere to play at all now with Kotsay here.

Kotsay plays the OF and 1b and hits LH. Wise plays the OF. Fields can play 1B or 3B and bats RH. Kotsay and Wise are basically used for the same thing, except Wise won't be used at 1B and if there is a game where Kotsay is at 1B and Wise is in the line-up, there's a pretty good chance the Sox will lose that day. If anyone doesn't have a place to play with the Kotsay love (see Erstad, Darin) its Wise, and maybe that's a good thing, however with both on the roster, you may see the Sox piss away games playing both at the same time.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Why?

I'm not so sure there. And Kotsay can hit a baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm not so sure there. And Kotsay can hit a baseball.

Kotsay isn't much of a hitter at this point, but considering in his last 133 AB in the major leagues, Wise has 20 hits with 6 walks, and a .150 AVG. Kotsay should be playing ahead of him. Its amazing Wise is on the club. Its sickening he was allowed to make the final out last night.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Kotsay isn't much of a hitter at this point, but considering in his last 133 AB in the major leagues, Wise has 20 hits with 6 walks, and a .150 AVG. Kotsay should be playing ahead of him. Its amazing Wise is on the club. Its sickening he was allowed to make the final out last night.

I laughed when they brought in Joe Nathan. I was like, is this really necessary? It's like driving to your neighbor's house.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
I laughed when they brought in Joe Nathan. I was like, is this really necessary? It's like driving to your neighbor's house.

And yet if the roles were reversed and we brought in Jenks to face Casilla for the last out he'd probably get a base hit.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
And yet if the roles were reversed and we brought in Jenks to face Casilla for the last out he'd probably get a base hit.

It's too bad but your probably not wrong on that call. Plus we would have lost the game

Here is an interesting BA stat from baseballthinkfactory.com:

In his 89 plate appearances this year when he got off to a 1-0 count, Anderson batted .329 with a .472 on-base percentage and .457 slugging.

But in his 89 plate appearances this year when he got off to an 0-1 count, Anderson batted .129 with a .169 on-base percentage and .153 slugging.

Dick...there's a stat in the Trib, which was posted earlier about Kotsay being the second best pinch hitter (active based on 50 PAs) right now. That has been a HUGE problem for the Sox this year. And Kotsay's defense at 1B is pretty good. Wise isn't good, but he tries. Fields isn't good and either isn't listening or isn't capable. Either way, as much as I like him...it's time for a change of scenery. Anderson had his chances, didn't listen to his coaches, partied a bit too much and over-all didn't back up his own crowing and therefore, I'd much rather have myself a Mark Kotsay and cash than a Michael Dubee and...well, Michael Dubee.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Dick...there's a stat in the Trib, which was posted earlier about Kotsay being the second best pinch hitter (active based on 50 PAs) right now. That has been a HUGE problem for the Sox this year. And Kotsay's defense at 1B is pretty good. Wise isn't good, but he tries. Fields isn't good and either isn't listening or isn't capable. Either way, as much as I like him...it's time for a change of scenery. Anderson had his chances, didn't listen to his coaches, partied a bit too much and over-all didn't back up his own crowing and therefore, I'd much rather have myself a Mark Kotsay and cash than a Michael Dubee and...well, Michael Dubee.

Sample size.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)

I honestly believe 2009 Kotsay

Edited by Dick Allen