Josh Fields wants a trade

southsider2k5

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone on this board knows what I think of Wise, but he is really not that bad of a defender. He isn't anything special, but his terrible defense is a myth created by Soxtalk (similar to Jerry Owens, who had a s*** arm, but great closing speed, good range, and a good glove). I think people sometimes just have an inability to see defense independently of offense.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Kotsay can't really play CF anymore. Wise is our defensive replacement in CF.

That's never been a concern for us before, I don't see why we'd start now. The Sox said "to hell" with defense in centerfield when they gave away Brian Anderson and to keep Wise on the roster.

Wise is no amazing defensive player in CF, either. Not terrible, not by a long shot, but he's no BA.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
That's never been a concern for us before, I don't see why we'd start now. The Sox said "to hell" with defense in centerfield when they gave away Brian Anderson and to keep Wise on the roster.

Wise is no amazing defensive player in CF, either. Not terrible, not by a long shot, but he's no BA.

So if Wise had been dealt for Kotsay leaving us with Kotsay, BA, and Fields, which would you send down? Obviously it would be Fields, which was my point that Wise has nothing to do with Fields getting sent down.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
So if Wise had been dealt for Kotsay leaving us with Kotsay, BA, and Fields, which would you send down? Obviously it would be Fields, which was my point that Wise has nothing to do with Fields getting sent down.

At this point, I honestly could care less who our late-inning defensive replacement is. Obviously it was total BS getting rid of Anderson, and they're whole excuse for sending him down was that he had the option and they could keep both players if they kept Wise up, even though they subsequently traded Anderson shortly after. However, I will start to care if Wise keeps starting every other day in center like he has been. Honestly, bat Ramon Castro or Nix in there at DH if Thome is hurt, not Wise in center. Guillen is taking absolutely no heat for this complete garbage in trotting out a sub .190 hitter every other day on a team that was in the middle of this hunt.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
At this point, I honestly could care less who our late-inning defensive replacement is. Obviously it was total BS getting rid of Anderson, and they're whole excuse for sending him down was that he had the option and they could keep both players if they kept Wise up, even though they subsequently traded Anderson shortly after. However, I will start to care if Wise keeps starting every other day in center like he has been. Honestly, bat Ramon Castro or Nix in there at DH if Thome is hurt, not Wise in center. Guillen is taking absolutely no heat for this complete garbage in trotting out a sub .190 hitter every other day on a team that was in the middle of this hunt.

Maybe not in the media, but oh my god is he ever taking heat for it on Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Obviously it was total BS getting rid of Anderson, and they're whole excuse for sending him down was that he had the option and they could keep both players if they kept Wise up, even though they subsequently traded Anderson shortly after.

Anderson is bad and Wise is bad. They're both bad. It's like flipping a coin and getting pissed about it landing 'tails' instead of 'heads'.

Maybe the difference is one knows he's bad and the other still thinks he's good. Good luck with that in Pawtucket.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)

But Kotsay can't really play there anymore. He could in a pinch, of course, but Wise is a superior defensive player right now. Kotsay could spell people at the corner spots but he's really down to primarily a 1B now. With Fields only backing up PK at 1B and Beckham getting 90% of the PT at 3B (as he should be), Fields wasn't going to get at bats. Wise isn't a good player, but there wasn't really a "competition" between Wise and Fields b/c of where they play and where Kotsay can play. We need an OF who can play a decent CF if (when?) Pods or CQ get hurt or as a late inning replacement.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
But Kotsay can't really play there anymore. He could in a pinch, of course, but Wise is a superior defensive player right now. Kotsay could spell people at the corner spots but he's really down to primarily a 1B now. With Fields only backing up PK at 1B and Beckham getting 90% of the PT at 3B (as he should be), Fields wasn't going to get at bats. Wise isn't a good player, but there wasn't really a "competition" between Wise and Fields b/c of where they play and where Kotsay can play. We need an OF who can play a decent CF if (when?) Pods or CQ get hurt or as a late inning replacement.

I'm amazed that Kenny hasn't grabbed some mediocre OF in a trade that can actually play a little defense and hit over .240. Are they that rare?

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Anderson is bad and Wise is bad. They're both bad. It's like flipping a coin and getting pissed about it landing 'tails' instead of 'heads'.

Maybe the difference is one knows he's bad and the other still thinks he's good. Good luck with that in Pawtucket.

Anderson was hitting .230 wasn't he? Not good at all, but compared to Wise it looks pretty good.

Anderson is also a better defensive outfielder.

I think Anderson would have been a more valuable player to this team. Wise should have been cut and Anderson should have remained to be the defensive sub...why send a guy down to AAA hitting .230 when you have a guy playing the exact same position hitting .186?

And spare me the 'lefty right' thing...Wise can't hit anything so what side of the plate he stands on means nothing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)

Kotsay apppeared in 4 games in CF this year. Are we sure he is done in CF? Does he at least have better D than Pods and and as good as Griffey last year? He's not the CF of the future, but let's see what he can do in a backup role.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)

Option A: Gold Glove caliber defense, .322 OBP, 27 years old.

Option B: OK defender, .228 OBP, 31 years old.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
I think everyone on this board knows what I think of Wise, but he is really not that bad of a defender. He isn't anything special, but his terrible defense is a myth created by Soxtalk (similar to Jerry Owens, who had a s*** arm, but great closing speed, good range, and a good glove). I think people sometimes just have an inability to see defense independently of offense.

I think we were just comparing him to Anderson on D.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:40 AM)
When I saw Fields get sent down, the thought crossed my mind to jokingly start a thread saying "Josh Fields wants to be traded" to go with the Anderson thread. I decided not to for several reasons, one of them being that I was about 80% sure Fields was actually going to do it.

I'm going to start the "Aaron Poreda wants to be traded thread". I'll let you have dibs on starting the one for our 2008 1st rounder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
I think we were just comparing him to Anderson on D.

Yeah with the exception of that leaping catch that I don't recall Anderson ever making, there's not many things he does that Anderson can't do as well or better. I would say throw accurately but it looks like BA worked on that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
Option A: Gold Glove caliber defense, .322 OBP, 27 years old.

Option B: OK defender, .228 OBP, 31 years old.

That pretty much says it all. You could even change Option B to "good defender" and the choice would still be a no-brainer. There's no question in my mind that Ozzie has a personal vendetta against Anderson.

Unfortunately for Josh, he can't play defense and has to compete with a future All Star at 3B. So dealing him makes sense.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Anderson was hitting .230 wasn't he? Not good at all, but compared to Wise it looks pretty good.

Anderson is also a better defensive outfielder.

I think Anderson would have been a more valuable player to this team. Wise should have been cut and Anderson should have remained to be the defensive sub...why send a guy down to AAA hitting .230 when you have a guy playing the exact same position hitting .186?

And spare me the 'lefty right' thing...Wise can't hit anything so what side of the plate he stands on means nothing.

Levels of suckitude. The difference in having Anderson vs Wise on the roster is severely negligible.

Anderson + Fields vs Wise + Kotsay? Who knows? But at least Anderson can finally be free of his White Sox shackles and can now unleash his baseball fury on the AL East.

It also gets him the hell out of the way for the next round of prospects.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
That pretty much says it all. You could even change Option B to "good defender" and the choice would still be a no-brainer. There's no question in my mind that Ozzie has a personal vendetta against Anderson.

Unfortunately for Josh, he can't play defense and has to compete with a future All Star at 3B. So dealing him makes sense.

Beckham is probably not going to be an allstar at 3rd base. To start off, ARod, Young, and Longoria are there for a long time, and then every year it seems like there's more than a few guys who step up and put up near .900 OPS's there. He'll need to be legitimately hitting .330+ and putting up 30+ HR a year before he's an all star there. Especially with Longoria's glove.

Beckham at 2b is an all star right now. The only 2b with a higher OPS than him is Zobrist.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)

If Ozzie had a personal vendetta against Brian Anderson he would have been gone three years ago when he still had any value at all.

The entire league knew he was available this week!! Nobody cared!! The best offer they got was a DFAd Mark Kotsay. Everyone needs to breathe deeply and repeat

"Brian Anderson is not as good as we thought he was."

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
Levels of suckitude. The difference in having Anderson vs Wise on the roster is severely negligible.

Anderson + Fields vs Wise + Kotsay? Who knows? But at least Anderson can finally be free of his White Sox shackles and can now unleash his baseball fury on the AL East.

It also gets him the hell out of the way for the next round of prospects.

Useless veterans are always better than prospects who may figure it out. Wise and Kotasy are not getting any better.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
Kotsay apppeared in 4 games in CF this year. Are we sure he is done in CF? Does he at least have better D than Pods and and as good as Griffey last year? He's not the CF of the future, but let's see what he can do in a backup role.

Most of those observers havent figured out yet that Kotsay has been hampered by injuries most of the season. He can play CF, but only when he gets healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Beckham is probably not going to be an allstar at 3rd base. To start off, ARod, Young, and Longoria are there for a long time, and then every year it seems like there's more than a few guys who step up and put up near .900 OPS's there. He'll need to be legitimately hitting .330+ and putting up 30+ HR a year before he's an all star there. Especially with Longoria's glove.

Beckham at 2b is an all star right now. The only 2b with a higher OPS than him is Zobrist.

Why isnt Becks an All-Star at 3B? 300 avg close to .400 OBP with developing power and a plus glove. Who cares if he is ACTUALLY elected to the game as long as he plays at an All Star level.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Brian Anderson cares about Brian Anderson. He didn't care about the team, from what you can read between the lines. So, bubye.

What could he do for the team from where he was?