2010 Lineup

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
What else do we have at 3rd in the organization? Do we dare name Viciedo has our future 3B? I don't see him staying over there as he moves across the infield.

I actually believe Beckham will be our guy at 3rd for a long time.

I was thinking someone acquired via trade or free agency. Certainly not counting on Viciedo for anything at this point.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing is certain, we need to add at least 1 OF this off-season. Dye and Thome are both due to be free agents and you have to figure one will leave and one will go, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see both of them stay on smaller contracts. Seems like Figgins will be a priority so let's roll with this:

Figgins CF

Beckham 3B

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Getz 2B

Buehrle

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Contreras/Torres/Hudson/FA?

For some reason, I just can't see the organization kicking Thome and Dye and Contreras to the curb, but needless to say, they'd all be coming back on far lesser deals.

I know he's been great, but I'm not sure how I feel about bringing Pods back next year. I just don't want to take the chance of him going back to his 2006-2008 form. He only hit .267 in July, so his average could very well be on its way down, plus he's been caught stealing an awful lot.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
I know he's been great, but I'm not sure how I feel about bringing Pods back next year. I just don't want to take the chance of him going back to his 2006-2008 form. He only hit .267 in July, so his average could very well be on its way down, plus he's been caught stealing an awful lot.

The problem is that you're going to have to give another CF (such as Figgins) a multi-year deal. Personally, I would offer Pods a 1-year $3.5M deal right now. If he goes back to sucking, it's not a huge loss. Than you can hopefully plug in Danks in late 2010 and 2011. Otherwise, you have to fit Figgins into CF next year, or at 3b next year (and plan on keeping him there), and move Beckham to 2b.

I don't want any part of a 3/$30 deal for Figgins. Not with the kids we have in the pipeline.

3B Chone Figgins

SS Alexei Ramirez

LF Matt Holliday

DH Jermaine Dye

1B Paul Konerko

RF Carlos Quentin (could move up pending on season)

C AJ Pierzynksi

2B Gordon Beckham

CF Jordan Danks

teams gonna be huge

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Nix is not an everyday player, and he is a 2B.

If we make Dye our DH (discount, new deal) and keep our infield the same which I think we should, it opens up two outfield spots, with Carlos being LF or RF.

Find someone that can leadoff and play CF (assuming Pods is gone).

Crawford CF

Beckham 3B

Quentin RF/LF

Dye DH

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Danks2 RF/LF

Getz 2B

Rotation is already set.

How is that for a lineup.

This is the exact lineup i've been wanting for next year!

Except for the 5th spot. I would like KW to let a veteran or young pitcher earn this spot via ST. Torres perhaps. .

Crawford is probably better suited for LF, because of his arm, with Jordan Danks/Mitchell/FA taking CF.

Probably we'll try to keep Pods if he doesn't fall apart b4 the end of the season.

However, Crawford will cost a ton, and there's no guarantee we'll keep him. Holliday's a Boras guy, so that more or less nixes that idea.

Figgins is definitely the most logical, probably at 3B but possibly CF.

It doesn't seem for the present that Ozzie wants to move Beckham off 3B, but I think they would have to decide which would give them the best possible defensive alignment (guessing they'd move Becks to 2B) with the acquisition of Figgins. Wouldn't go 3/30 for him at his age and with a so-so injury history in recent years...more like 2/18-20, take it or leave it.

Would still be interested in Orlando Hudson, if the Dodgers don't control his rights for next year. In that scenario, he'd stay at 2B with Beckham remaining at 3B. Could definitely live with that.

Viciedo, however, has REALLY REALLY picked it up...I think too many are discouraged, but if you look at his July numbers, he's really progressing nicely...and he's the heir-apparent at 3B, whether in 2010 or 2011.

Flowers won't be on the everyday roster until AJ's gone or disabled.

Edited by caulfield12

I know what Ozzie said but I think next season Getz would make a great utility guy and have Beckham at 2B. Now, if Getz keeps up his 2nd half hitting like he is now maybe that changes. For 3B I think Figgins is obviously going to be the guy KW looks at first if possible, a fall back plan could be Melvin Mora or if the money is right Adrian Beltre. I think this is the last season of Thome and resigning Dye to be DH would be a pretty good idea if the money is right. While Crawford is a nice dream I dont see how the Rays let him go and Danks probably isnt read for the bigs so maybe make a run at Bay/Abreu/Vlad and resign Pods is our best bet.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:44 AM)
I know what Ozzie said but I think next season Getz would make a great utility guy and have Beckham at 2B. Now, if Getz keeps up his 2nd half hitting like he is now maybe that changes. For 3B I think Figgins is obviously going to be the guy KW looks at first if possible, a fall back plan could be Melvin Mora or if the money is right Adrian Beltre. I think this is the last season of Thome and resigning Dye to be DH would be a pretty good idea if the money is right. While Crawford is a nice dream I dont see how the Rays let him go and Danks probably isnt read for the bigs so maybe make a run at Bay/Abreu/Vlad and resign Pods is our best bet.

From what im hearing, Tampa may not have the funds to grant Crawford's $10 million club option. I heard 2 things. I heard the Rays are going to take the option and shop him this winter (most likely) and I also heard they might even consider taking the $1.5 million buy out.

If they are to shop him you HAVE to look into it this winter. If we could aqcuire Crawford and sign him to an extension, Soxtalk shall no longer have leadoff envy!!

As far as Jordan Danks goes: He is currently hitting .297, 61 runs, .385 OBP and 36 RBI. Not stellar numbers but not to bad. I'm guessing if he continues to show progress, and rocks it out in Fall ball and in ST i say let the young man learn at the big league level while hitting 9th.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 04:07 AM)
3B Chone Figgins

SS Alexei Ramirez

LF Matt Holliday

DH Jermaine Dye

1B Paul Konerko

RF Carlos Quentin (could move up pending on season)

C AJ Pierzynksi

2B Gordon Beckham

CF Jordan Danks

teams gonna be huge

Holliday won't happen - he's a Boras client.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:03 AM)
From what im hearing, Tampa may not have the funds to grant Crawford's $10 million club option. I heard 2 things. I heard the Rays are going to take the option and shop him this winter (most likely) and I also heard they might even consider taking the $1.5 million buy out.

If they are to shop him you HAVE to look into it this winter. If we could aqcuire Crawford and sign him to an extension, Soxtalk shall no longer have leadoff envy!!

As far as Jordan Danks goes: He is currently hitting .297, 61 runs, .385 OBP and 36 RBI. Not stellar numbers but not to bad. I'm guessing if he continues to show progress, and rocks it out in Fall ball and in ST i say let the young man learn at the big league level while hitting 9th.

No way the Rays don't keep him and get the best return...letting him go and spending $1.5 million for the buyout is simply insane for their organization to ponder....bad enough they let Edwin Jackson get away for almost nothing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
Barring injury, there's no reason to think this. His hitting approach is completely different now than what it was. But there is no place to put him if we don't want him to play CF.

He's not up to CF defensively. The Sox will need a CF solution no later than 2011 and probably sooner. Pods has had three good years in MLB and has trailed off the two years afterwards each time.

With his number of caught stealing, he's not really productive on the base paths as he once was.

I agree that Chone Figgins would be a nice addition, but it's not clear how much salary flexibility the Sox would have after Peavy. If you are resigning Dye, then the Sox are really only $4-$5 million ahead of where they would have been - not enough to pick up Figgins. Unless they are going to take on payroll.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
I’m not saying the move is going to happen, but center field defense has never been an issue for this organization.

I guess you mean the post-Reinsdorf Sox organization. Because Jim Landis and Ken Berry were pretty good defensive CF'ers with marginal offensive contributions.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Chet Lemon

Rudy Law

Lance Johnson

Mike Cameron

Aaron Rowand

Brian Anderson

All were good in CF.

I fixed it. I'd argue the BA point, barring 2006, the team never felt the need to play him over inferior defensive options. Still the rest of your names are sound.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
I fixed it. I'd argue the BA point, barring 2006, the team never felt the need to play him over inferior defensive options. Still the rest of your names are sound.

I'd say that it hasn't been a major defensive issue until recently.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Brian Simmons says hello...can't really remember Cangelosi's defense.

Kenny Williams...Jimmy Hurst....Anthony Webster...Jeremy Reed also chime in.

Other than Cangelosi, those guys haven't been full time starters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Brian Simmons says hello...can't really remember Cangelosi's defense.

Kenny Williams...Jimmy Hurst....Anthony Webster...Jeremy Reed also chime in.

John Cangelosi was arguably the best defensive CF we have ever seen. And I am not biased. /green

I hope that some of you are right about Crawford, but I just don't see it happening. The Rays would want a massive package in return and, after Richard and Poreda were dealt, I just don't see Kenny tapping the farm system again. The Rays might not be willing to deal him anyway.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
I hope that some of you are right about Crawford, but I just don't see it happening. The Rays would want a massive package in return and, after Richard and Poreda were dealt, I just don't see Kenny tapping the farm system again. The Rays might not be willing to deal him anyway.

I agree Crawford would pretty much clean out our farm system. I'd have to believe the Rays would ask for Danks or Mitchell, Flowers and another top tier prospect....we just can't afford to do something like that IMHO.