Most exciting sporting event you ever attended.

I was flipping around on the TV the other day and landed on the Big 10 network. It was the "Big 10's Greatest games" Michigan at Northwestern from November 4, 2000. Northwestern ending up winning the game 54-51 in a barnburner. Future Bear Anthony Thomas fumbled in the last two minutes with Michigan up and trying to run out the clock. Northwestern scored the go ahead touchdown and 2 pointer with around 30 seconds. Even though, at the time I was a huge Michigan fan I will always remember how exciting the back and forth scoring of that game was. It was a surprise gift from my dad with seats in the fourth row on the 10 yardline. It couldn't have turned out any better.

Here's a recap of the game if anyone is interested

Michigan vs. Northwestern Nov. 4, 2000

Notre Dame @ Michigan State September 23, 2006

Notre Dame down 37-21 with 10ish minutes to play. Won 40-37.

It was amazing, and the MSU fans were destroying us. At the end of the game the look on their face was priceless absolute disbelief.

Other than the obvious White Sox playoff games, the monday night Bears vs. Cardinals game in Phoenix a couple years ago was awesome to be it. Sexy Rexy did everything in his power to lose the game, and they were down 23-3 in the last seconds of the 3rd, then the defense returned two fumbles for TDs, and Hester returned a punt for the lead. Ex-Illini Neil Rackers had a field goal to win it at the end, but he blew it.

The Bears were undefeated and it was Arizona's first monday night game in a while at their new stadium and the Cardinal fans were treating it like it was their Super Bowl. They were so sure they had the game won and to blow it like that really hurt them. There was a good amount of Bears fans there too.

I went to a Bulls/Atlanta Hawks playoff game in 1993. MJ hit a half courter to close out the half, they just steamrolled the Hawks.

I also went to the White Sox game where Herbert Perry tripped over 3rd base trying to catch a Jim Thome popup. The very next pitch Thome hit a ball to straight away center that still hasnt landed. Stache Valentin and Big Frank homered too

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:15 AM)
I went to a Bulls/Atlanta Hawks playoff game in 1993. MJ hit a half courter to close out the half, they just steamrolled the Hawks.

I also went to the White Sox game where Herbert Perry tripped over 3rd base trying to catch a Jim Thome popup. The very next pitch Thome hit a ball to straight away center that still hasnt landed. Stache Valentin and Big Frank homered too

That reminds me of a game in 05 vs. Boston I was at. It was tied in the 9th, Manny popped one up behind 3rd base and Crede just straight up dropped it. The very next pitch, Manny just smoked a line drive out to left, I have never seen a ball leave the park that quickly.

I have been very lucky in going to some pretty major games, so I'll do it by sport:

Football: Bears NFC Champ game (close second, even though they lost, Payton's and Fencik's last game as a Bear)

Hockey: Final Regular season and post-season game for the Blackhawks in the Stadium

Basketball: EASILY the 1.8 second game.

Baseball: Hmmm...I can't say there was one so exciting, but there was a time there where I saw most of Ozzie's home runs hit at home.

Arena: First Chicago Bruisers game (yeah I'm old) and first Austin Wranglers game (they are no more)

Soccer: 1980, Sting vs. Cosmos at Comiskey. Sting lose 1-0.

College Football: Illinois-Michigan. I wanna say 1990. Illinois loses on a last minute TD. AGAIN.

1. ALCS Game 7 last year. Actually tripped and broke my ankle walking up to the stadium. Ankle swelled up big time by the time I got to my seats but it was so electric that I didnt care about my ankle anymore. But the 7th inning I could barely stand but it was still worth it. I've been to games at the Swamp in Gainesville, Miami/FSU games but nothing match the noise level after the final out was made.

2. Capital One Bowl a few years back between LSU/Iowa. Sitting on the 10 yard line on the Iowa side, things looked really bleak. Then Iowa hit that bomb and the Iowa fans went f***ing nuts. I was rooting for Iowa since I like seeing the SEC lose so that was fun.

Those are my top 2 events. Last year's ALDS Game 1 was fun but nowhere near as exciting. My parents were at the Miracle on Ice game. Don't think that one will ever be topped.

Ive never been to any sort of postseason game so I would say the best game was in '07 when DePaul beat #5 Kansas.

I was also at the game when DePaul beat #19 Villanova in 2008.

I was at the Pirates game on saturday when McCutchen hit 3 Homers.

I was at the game last year when Thome got his 2,000th hit.

'02 when the Patriots made a huge come back to beat the Bears in Champaign with a TD in the final seconds.

I was in Evanston when Northwestern beat #18 Minnesota

I was at the Penn State-Baylor NIT Championship game

'08 White Sox Opening Day was awesome

AJ chickenwing game against the Rays last year

but the DePaul over Kansas was the best because of the annoying Kansas fans that were talking about how they were sing there fight song at an away teams stadium, THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

To be perfectly honest, the biggest and most exciting game I've ever attended was the NCAA DIV II Tourney 2 years ago. We were hosting our region and had an undefeated season going and the regional final was in our house vs our biggest conference rival, Findlay (who just won the title this past March.) The Fieldhouse was packed and the game came down to the wire. Everyone was wearing blue and it was the most exciting game I've been to, no question. We won a close one on same late FT's and awesome defense. Our student section was insane.

I was also at the game last year where Thome hit his 2000th, that was really exciting. And I've never been to a post-season game in a pro sport, but the Sox/Rays game last Monday when Gavin pitched was very exciting and there was a playoff-like atmosphere.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Illinois v. Arizona. 2005 NCAA Midwest Regional Final.

My hands remained swollen for two days from clapping so hard, and my voice stayed hoarse for five.

Awesome. If I could have went to one game in the past, this would be it. It was nuts just watching at home, I can only imagine how crazy it was at the Horizon.

Just thought of my White Sox one: Mike Cameron hits 4 home runs. I believe that was it for Parque AND the last time Jon Rauch pitched for the Sox as that was the cab game. Plus, I was lucky enough to be in a suite...so there you go.

I've been to a ton of White Sox games, and there have been some pretty great ones in there, but the best game I've ever been to was my senior year of high school. St. Rita vs. Brother Rice in the game that would not end. It broke the record for most OT's, and Rita won it in very dramatic fashion.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I was at every home game for the white sox 2005 playoff run and game 4 in houston.

Game 6 v. jazz

The winner for me:

KU v. Memphis ntl championship game in San Antonion. Much better comeback than the Illini v. Zona game and it meant a whole lot more.

KU's obviously meant more, but the Illini's was more points in less time and actually consisted of defense not the luck of a bad free-throw shooting team being unable to hit a free throw when it mattered

Ole Miss-Arkansas 7 overtime game back in 2001. Matt Jones was a freshman QB, and all the Ole Miss fans (myself included) were so pissed that "some freshman QB" was tearing it up, running all over Ole Miss. Little did we know that Matt Jones would actually be a pretty good college QB.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
somewhat true, but nothing in the world will ever ever ever beat the Mario Chalmers shot.

For a Kansas fan, yes. But, not for an Illinois fan. It may not have been with time expiring, but the Deron Williams' 3 capping off the comeback is one of my favorite sports moments. Goosebumps.

Edited by dasox24