8/12 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (CSF @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:06 AM)
Viciedo 4-5. Good.

JorDanks 0-5. Bad.

It's gotta be his wrist. No way he could be lighting it up, and all of a sudden go stone cold like that.

Or his crazy high BABIP earlier in the year has caught up to him?

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Christian Marerro is 4-4 with 2 singles, 1 2B and 1 HR today. OPS of .880 in 171 PA so far in Birmingham. He might be a legitimate prospect.

I'd been watching his numbers for awhile and compared him to Brandon Allen a few weeks ago. With the exception of walks, something Allen only got better at this year, the comparison is pretty favorable for Marerro, based just on the numbers. Can Marerro actually play first base decently?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Or his crazy high BABIP earlier in the year has caught up to him?

Part that, part Regions Park. His H/A splits are pretty defined. .688 OPS at home, .808 on the road. He's very unknown right now.

Wow. What's with Gallagher? I'm pleasantly surprised with how well he's done in his brief time with the Barons. I saw him play with Great Falls when he first broke in and was impressed with him. But haven't been too sure what to think of his seemingly slow progress through A ball. Maybe he's still a "prospect"?

Tyson Corley.. has one hellova heavy ball/sinker. His GB/FO ratio has been off the charts for a couple years now. If he keeps it up, he'll be very useful at the cell in the future. Hopefully he moves up quick. Nice to see Long have a good year for B-Ham as well.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
Part that, part Regions Park. His H/A splits are pretty defined. .688 OPS at home, .808 on the road. He's very unknown right now.

Which is why I would have personally had no problem with the Sox moving him at the deadline in the right deal. Fortunately for the Sox, the two right deals did come up, and neither one of them had anything to do with Jordan Danks (except that Rios makes Danks more expendable).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)
Which is why I would have personally had no problem with the Sox moving him at the deadline in the right deal. Fortunately for the Sox, the two right deals did come up, and neither one of them had anything to do with Jordan Danks (except that Rios makes Danks more expendable).

I think trader KW has something left for us in the offseason.

You guys follow the minors and prospects a lot more closer than I do, but all this talk about Allen, Cunningham and Carter tearing it up for other teams in the minors brings a few questions up for me. 1) aren't they all doing it in the PCL which is notoriously famous for pumping hitting prospects up. Not related to Sox prospects at all, but Stone a few weeks backed talked about how, I believe, the Dodgers would always have guys, especially 1b or corner OF prospects over inflated because of the league and park they were playing in; and 2) maybe the White Sox are just good at finding that type of prospect. It sounds like Marero is a similar prospect to these guys (although older?), so maybe that's the White Sox scouts nitches?

Who knows, all I know is KW hasn't been burned badly by a prospect leaving yet, and until I see these guys do it consistently on the MLB level I won't go to crazy.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I think trader KW has something left for us in the offseason.

You guys follow the minors and prospects a lot more closer than I do, but all this talk about Allen, Cunningham and Carter tearing it up for other teams in the minors brings a few questions up for me. 1) aren't they all doing it in the PCL which is notoriously famous for pumping hitting prospects up. Not related to Sox prospects at all, but Stone a few weeks backed talked about how, I believe, the Dodgers would always have guys, especially 1b or corner OF prospects over inflated because of the league and park they were playing in; and 2) maybe the White Sox are just good at finding that type of prospect. It sounds like Marero is a similar prospect to these guys (although older?), so maybe that's the White Sox scouts nitches?

Who knows, all I know is KW hasn't been burned badly by a prospect leaving yet, and until I see these guys do it consistently on the MLB level I won't go to crazy.

I think he will be burned by Brandon Allen and Chris Carter, if Quentin doesn't pan out over the long term. I think Cunningham will be good once he gets steady play in the majors. He does nothing but hit, and not just in the PCL. Look at his numbers from 2007 until now in the minors. Christian Marrero just recently turned 23.

Edited by JPN366

Cunningham will probably be a mediocre Major Leaguer and it's going to be very hard for Carter to outperform Quentin. Quentin has already been an MVP candidate so Carter would have to be above average for multiple years to start a comparison to that season alone. Plus Carlos has looked a lot better in the last couple weeks so I think he is returning to form. Quentin when healthy is going to be much better than Carter.

I think he will be burned by Brandon Allen and Chris Carter, if Quentin doesn't pan out over the long term. I think Cunningham will be good once he gets steady play in the majors. He does nothing but hit, and not just in the PCL. Look at his numbers from 2007 until now in the minors. Christian Marrero just recently turned 23.

Allen for Pena was indeed a stupid trade even though I think Pena can be a decent ML reliever -- hell, if David Aaardsma can do it, anyone can.

But let's not overrate the contributions of Allen, Carter or Cunningham thus far. Quentin put up MVP numbers and almost singlehandedly saved 2008 from turning into 2007 nightmare.

And I firmly believe, if not for foot injury, he'd be top 5-10 in MVP voting in 2009, as well.

In other words, I am happy with Q. You can keep Carter.