O's deal?

toasty

With no movement yet on signing talks with the o's and ponson, they may be closer to dealing him... if we can get him, who do we give up.... WITHOUT giving up crede?

clee? wright? glover?

They want Crede. They were very adament about it.

With no movement yet on signing talks with the o's and ponson, they may be closer to dealing him... if we can get him, who do we give up.... WITHOUT giving up crede?

clee? wright? glover?

I'd give up any of those 3 you named. I wouldn't give up on Crede yet. If it were up to me though we wouldn't make the deal.

In fact, getting Ponson for anything more than low class prospects is a ripoff. Dont trade for him, hes a fluke...

Everyone's a fluke to you except Frank Thomas :rolleyes:

And what is the love affair, that some on this board have, with Ponson? This guy is no better, IMHO, than Wright.

Everyone's a fluke to you except Frank Thomas  :rolleyes:

And what is the love affair, that some on this board have, with Ponson? This guy is no better, IMHO, than Wright.

I wouldn't go nearly that far. Ponson has 13 wins, Wright is getting lit up at AAA.

I'm telling you..... we trade for Ponson in '03 and he'll become the Belcher of '93 :nono .

In fact, getting Ponson for anything more than low class prospects is a ripoff. Dont trade for him, hes a fluke...

Ponson is a guy that had limited success before this year. He may have talent, but before we start giving up our talent we need more proof he is not a one year wonder. We may need that 5th starter though, or another relief pitcher, but even the great analysts on BBTN think Ponson is just a good 4th or 5th pitcher and the Orioles are asking to much.

Lets just compare Colon's numbers (paid 9 mill a year) with Ponsons (Paid 4.5 mill this year; could be resigned for the next 4 years at around 20 mill with incentives to push the deal around 25 mill).

Bartolo Colon - 30 yrs old

7-9 with a 4.25 ERA. In his 21 starts he has pitched 146 innings giving up 142 hits. He has 105 strikeouts to 45 walks and has given up 16 homers. Opponents bat .259 off him with a .315 OBP.

Sidney Ponson - 26 yrs Old

13-5 with a 3.67 ERA. In his 19 starts he has 4 complete games and has pitched 132.1 innings while striking out 92 and walking 37. He has given up 10 homers and 134 hits. Opponents bat .261 off of him with a .312 OBP.

Career wise Colon has better numbers, but in 2002 Ponson had a 4.09 ERA (Not bad at all, especially for a 25 year old).

Now what I'm saying is the Sox can get two young starters for Colon (plus a 3rd who you may just use to deal to get Ponson). Could you imagine getting Ponson, Williams, and Foppert or something like that for Bartolo Colon. Sox would probably have to add someone else, but I'm just saying the possibility is there.

While Colon is more proven, Ponson has been awesome this season and has always had great stuff. He's only 26, would be cheaper, and the Sox could have him long term. They'd also get a 5 starter, which means the pen doesn't need to be used as much and can move the other man acquired into the long relief spot.

i am tired of waiting, i am tired of constantly hearing about rebuilding.

if getting ponson, giles and kendall will get up the series, then so be it, get it done.

if it means getting rid of 2 nd teir prospect and rauch and cotts and webster, so what. do it.

i am for putting the product on the field now. f*** the "let wait till next yr" bs statment.

we are close to winning and we need a few more players go and get them.

Now what I'm saying is the Sox can get two young starters for Colon (plus a 3rd who you may just use to deal to get Ponson).  Could you imagine getting Ponson, Williams, and Foppert or something like that for Bartolo Colon.  Sox would probably have to add someone else, but I'm just saying the possibility is there.

While Colon is more proven, Ponson has been awesome this season and has always had great stuff.  He's only 26, would be cheaper, and the Sox could have him long term.  They'd also get a 5 starter, which means the pen doesn't need to be used as much and can move the other man acquired into the long relief spot.

I agree totally with what your saying. I think the White Sox should trade Colon to the Giants for Williams, Foppert, and Matt Cain. Then we could go trade Lee and prospects(Malone, Diaz, B. Miller, etc.) to the Orioles for Ponson. Now look at what our Starting rotation would look like(in no particular order):

Buerhle- 8-10, 4.21 ERA, 149.2 IP(24 yrs. old)

Loaiza- 12-5, 2.16 ERA, 137.1 IP(31 yrs. old)

Garland- 7-7, 4.51 ERA, 111.2 IP(23 yrs. old)

Ponson- 13-5, 3.64 ERA, 138.1 IP(26 yrs. old)

Williams- 5-1, 2.83 ERA, 63.2 IP(21 yrs. old)

Now, if you look at our starters, we have gotten younger and better all around. All of our pitchers also have low ERA's(garland & buerhle would be much lower if not for some really bad outings). And, our lineup isn't affected much b/c we'd just move Everett to LF and Roward to CF.