Who would you rather have starting at 2b?

son of a rude

Who do you want starting at 2b?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want starting at 2b?

• Getz
    • Nix
    • Getz against righties, Nix against lefties
    • Lillibridge (wtf?)

Nix all the way man. He's like cockrock, you can't go wrong. I've always read on here that Oz doesn't put enough emphasis on defense and too much on speed. So then why Getz over Nix? I understand the whole added lefty, better average added to it. I still choose Nix. Now if we can just find a way to get Deweezy more at bats....

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Nix all the way man. He's like cockrock, you can't go wrong. I've always read on here that Oz doesn't put enough emphasis on defense and too much on speed. So then why Getz over Nix? I understand the whole added lefty, better average added to it. I still choose Nix. Now if we can just find a way to get Deweezy more at bats....

It's odd, but with our declined HR numbers from a few different positions in the lineup...Nix actually helps us be better tailored to our park's specifics.

Although, I do like that use of two lefties in a row: 9-Getz/1-Pods one two punch. Tempts managers to put in their good lefty against those two in clutch situations. At that point you can PH Nix for Getz.....and then the guy is left in to face Pods who is hitting LHP well.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)

Wow, all of these points were sound. Until the last one. Now, i sense sarcasm. Misguided sarcasm, but sarcasm just the same.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 05:46 AM)
I'd rather have Alexei at 2b

I agree, I would love to have Alexei back at second base, Nix at shortstop, & Bacon at Third. With Alexei's Arm at 2B again I would love that, plus he seems to really get good jumps from the right side of the infield. With Paulie & Dye on the right side he doesn't hesitate going after balls on that side. My only reservation would be to many right handed batters. Although with Kotsay & Getz in the Line-up, plus AJ, & Thome(outfield-Pods & wise) we can bat 6 lefties. However, I really like our balance with Getz coming back. Pitching is (relievers) is my biggest concern.

AI wouldn't want to change things to much, but Nix played third once or twice & I think he could play third just as well as Bacon. Bacon could probaly move to any of those positions, he has a very accurate arm.

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Wow, all of these points were sound. Until the last one. Now, i sense sarcasm. Misguided sarcasm, but sarcasm just the same.

However misguided my love for the black Ross Gload may be, it shall never die. I believe he has truly just been lying in the weeds, playing rope-a-dope. When he finally gets an opportunity when the time counts, he will unleash himself.

Edited by jamesdiego

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 02:13 AM)
Getz brings the speed, better average, and a possible lead off candidate in the future. Nix brings great defense and decent power. Lillibridge looks pretty funny. Who would you want starting?

Getz brings a whole new set of qualities to the field that the Sox don't really have and he put up a pretty good line since the all star break. I like Getz a lot.

Nix is a real solid back-up though and he has good at bats but I don't know if he'll ever hit for enough of an average to be an everyday player. I like what Getz brings as a starter and what Nix brings as a back-up.

Getz and Nix both have a .325 OBP with Getz having the edge in BA and Nix having an edge in SLG. Getz is 18-20 in SBs and Nix is 8-8 and Getz has a better fielding pct. So it is sort of pick your poison. Nix seems to fit better when one of the big bats is out of the lineup.

According to FAngraph...wins above replacement for second basemen:

Chase Utley: 5.5

Jayson Nix: 1.3

Juan Uribe: 1.0

Chris Getz: 0.4

Aaron Miles: -1.05

I think that sounds about right. Seems we are perhaps over rating Getz because of his grindiness? Or we figure he's young and getting better? Or we like his 18 stolen bases? At this point he is a defensive liability...-3.6 rating by Fangraphs. Nix is about the same age, a much better hitter and a much better fielder. The biggest question about Nix is...are his batting stats an illusion based on Guillen's platooning? I sure think it makes sense to try Nix for three weeks everyday to see.

Nix is a prolific defender, he takes pitchers, and has a good deal of pop. He's also an above-average base-runner. Getz has modest range, has a nice approach at the plate, is a good base-runner, but has no pop at all. I think Nix can offer a lot more in the starting lineup then Getz.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Nix is a prolific defender, he takes pitchers, and has a good deal of pop. He's also an above-average base-runner. Getz has modest range, has a nice approach at the plate, is a good base-runner, but has no pop at all. I think Nix can offer a lot more in the starting lineup then Getz.

Nix by far has the better potential of the two and it isn't even close, but Getz is that grinder/hustle guy that most teams need on their team. He can become a really solid ball player with time. I hope Nix can get a shot playing full time either with us or another team next year. His upside is really special and I just don't like him being limited to a utility player after this year. For now though, the platoon is perfect and they both need it.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Nix is on a statistical pace for about 30 homeruns in a 162 game season. Getz is on pace for about three.

Projections like this don't mean much of anything. Put Nix in and have him play 155 games against both RHP and LHP and then see what he looks like. If he wasn't so bad against RHP he would be a MLB starter.