What is your job?

HeGone33

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
It's not just you if that's any consolation. Things are a lot harder, IMO, for young people just getting started than it was for me in the late 90's and way harder than it was for the boomers whom were basically guaranteed a job if they got a college degree. You are going to be competing against experienced people for entry level jobs when unemployment is this high. You still have your youth and energy working for you, try to remain positive even though I know it must be hard to do. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate the input.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Hopefully a year from now, I'll be saying the same thing. Congrats on the job!

Muchas gracias! Good luck on the market--most stressful time of my life.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
On the law side, I'm trying to do the same. Unfortunately now there are far more experienced attorneys out there willing to take entry level jobs, while 3rd year law students are in internships with the companies looking to hire. I decided to go back to school to get my LL.M. while I'm waiting for my Bar exam results. Hopefully I can get a clerkship in the meantime.

I'm honestly at the point where I can't ever see myself getting a job. It's a bad feeling.

That is what I am worried about. I am in the process of applying to law schools right now. Hopefully in three years, the economy is better, but that worries me. Boo the LSAT, by the way. Taking for the first time in about a month.

Broadcasting for almost a decade. I currently work in the Technical Operations Center for the EWTN television network, which is based here in Birmingham. I monitor all 8 of the feeds that eminate from the station, as well as the playlists, audio/video quality and ingesting and recording programs to the video server. The network broadcasts to Europe, UK, Pac Rim, Africa/India, Domestically in English and Spanish, Internationally in Spanish and in Canada. It's the channel you always pass by and never watch. Take my advice, don't watch it. The best part about my job is that I work a 4 on, 4 off schedule. Which allows me plenty of free time for my hobbies. I would recommend to all of you who may be seeking a career in broadcasting to think twice. It is certainly not a career that necessitates a college degree at all. I took advantage of an internship on a local AM station and turned it into a paying job. I was the on-air producer for an afternoon drive talk show...at age 19. I also engineered the Barons broadcasts when they were on that station. People spend years in college and in the business to achieve what I did right out of the gate. Being 19, I foolishly left that job and moved to Utah. I'll spare you the details, but what does a 19 year old male think with? Anyway, I worked for Simmons Media in Salt Lake City for 2 1/2 years, doing everything I could including a stint as a DJ on their modern rock station KXRK, X96. Funny thing is that one of my bosses at Simmons is now a PD at a station here in B'ham. I moved back home and took the job I have now, which I've worked at for almost 7 years. Like I said, if you're thinking of broadcasting as a career, don't. It's all about the bottom line, and there is plenty of technology that renders having human employees obsolete. You won't make any money and you'll regret it if you go to school for it.

Edited by JPN366

Coming out of high school, I thought for sure my life would remain the same, I would date the same person, I would enjoy broadcasting and writing for the paper as well as becoming a high school teacher. I attended EIU for several reasons including the 2 year foreign language requirement, the education being superior (not to ISU, obviously) and because they had good media programs. (I only looked at NIU, UIC and EIU and I never really did much research on my decisions - completely idiotic, I know.)

I started to take courses and became less sure of my decision to go for a job in broadcasting, journalism or education. Most recently I have transferred home to attend the College of DuPage for a semester before transferring out again. As I've voiced in this thread, I would love to work with a professional sports organization, most specifically with the White Sox or Bears. At ISU, they have a Public Relations program where there have been a few graduates who work for those teams (I've met a few, but the person that stands out most in my mind is Chris Rongey). I'm taking business courses at the moment and I'm trying to graduate within the next 2-3 years. I just hope a more urban environment that is closer to home is a better fit for me.

Often times I have thought about obtaining a bachelor's degree in PR or Business and seeing how the market is for jobs when I graduate, so that I could go back to school to check out nursing, being an EMT or a dental hygenist. I'm all over the place with what to do, really. I guess the saving grace is that you don't need to graduate in 4 years.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
That is what I am worried about. I am in the process of applying to law schools right now. Hopefully in three years, the economy is better, but that worries me. Boo the LSAT, by the way. Taking for the first time in about a month.

You shouldn't be affected. By then, a lot of this will have settled out and big firms will be back on track, which will trickle down to smaller firms. As much as it sucks for me (and most of my class) right now, in the next year or so, it will probably be the older attorneys who aren't bringing in enough money who get the axe and younger attorneys will be brought in.

Good luck on the LSAT. It absolutely sucks, and has almost nothing to do with your ability to succeed in law school.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
You shouldn't be affected. By then, a lot of this will have settled out and big firms will be back on track, which will trickle down to smaller firms. As much as it sucks for me (and most of my class) right now, in the next year or so, it will probably be the older attorneys who aren't bringing in enough money who get the axe and younger attorneys will be brought in.

Good luck on the LSAT. It absolutely sucks, and has almost nothing to do with your ability to succeed in law school.

Yeah. Studying is annoying because all you really can do is take practice tests, so that has been my life for the past couple weeks and will be that way for the next month.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
Yeah. Studying is annoying because all you really can do is take practice tests, so that has been my life for the past couple weeks and will be that way for the next month.

Focus on the logic games. If you can master the logic games, you master the LSAT.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Focus on the logic games. If you can master the logic games, you master the LSAT.

Actually I disagree with that a bit. Logic games is only about 25% of the LSAT. In fact, it's my best section of the test. Usually I miss at most two questions on the sections, many times getting them all. I need to continue to get better at the LR and RC. But if all goes well on test day, I could do pretty well.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
Actually I disagree with that a bit. Logic games is only about 25% of the LSAT. In fact, it's my best section of the test. Usually I miss at most two questions on the sections, many times getting them all. I need to continue to get better at the LR and RC. But if all goes well on test day, I could do pretty well.

I know it is only part of the test, silly. I took the test. Most people do fairly well on the other parts, but the people who can master the LG seem to be the ones that get the best scores. It's usually what separates the men from the boys...