Financial News

jasonxctf

guys.. i work with banks on a daily basis for commercial lending.

their goal right now... get customers to a 15-20 day deliquency, charge the 15% per month late penalty and keep them in that range. No new lending unless the owners have a 700 or in some cases 725 credit score with minimal revolving debt ($30k or less) and if you have these scores, you'll be capped at 1/2 of what they'd lend out to you before. All fees are up. (doc fees, filing fees, etc) On top of that, since fewer banks are lending, rates are up about 200bps from this time a year ago for those we are fortunate enough to "qualify". Credit analysts have been instructed to look for "reasons to say no".

they absolutely do not want to modify contracts/agreements unless these customers go to 45-60 days past due. If you are a guy struggling to make your businesses payments on time, call and ask for the help, the answer is no, until you hit these magic numbers.

if you are fortunate to modify your contract, they will hit you with a multi-hundred dollar "reset" fee.

Other banks have changed their mindset, payment structure, to employees on maxing out fees/deposit growth and penalizing them for lending.

As bullish as I am about where we are going, we wont be able to get as far as we need to, unless something/someone really gets these banks to start lending again.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the 6 to 7 largest banks control 65%+ of the lending in this country. We've let consolidation get out of hand.

Remember First Chicago, how big they were. Well they got bought out by Bank One who then got bought out by Chase. Chase then got bought out by JP Morgan. Oh and by the way, JP Morgan/Chase bought Washington Mutual too.

LaSalle was bought by ABN AMRO who was bought by Bank of America. (who also bought Countrywide)

I hope that once things do get back on track, we break up these large banks like we did with AT&T back in the day.

It's not healthy to have so few, control so much of lending.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
guys.. i work with banks on a daily basis for commercial lending.

their goal right now... get customers to a 15-20 day deliquency, charge the 15% per month late penalty and keep them in that range. No new lending unless the owners have a 700 or in some cases 725 credit score with minimal revolving debt ($30k or less) and if you have these scores, you'll be capped at 1/2 of what they'd lend out to you before. All fees are up. (doc fees, filing fees, etc) On top of that, since fewer banks are lending, rates are up about 200bps from this time a year ago for those we are fortunate enough to "qualify". Credit analysts have been instructed to look for "reasons to say no".

they absolutely do not want to modify contracts/agreements unless these customers go to 45-60 days past due. If you are a guy struggling to make your businesses payments on time, call and ask for the help, the answer is no, until you hit these magic numbers.

if you are fortunate to modify your contract, they will hit you with a multi-hundred dollar "reset" fee.

Other banks have changed their mindset, payment structure, to employees on maxing out fees/deposit growth and penalizing them for lending.

As bullish as I am about where we are going, we wont be able to get as far as we need to, unless something/someone really gets these banks to start lending again.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the 6 to 7 largest banks control 65%+ of the lending in this country. We've let consolidation get out of hand.

Remember First Chicago, how big they were. Well they got bought out by Bank One who then got bought out by Chase. Chase then got bought out by JP Morgan. Oh and by the way, JP Morgan/Chase bought Washington Mutual too.

LaSalle was bought by ABN AMRO who was bought by Bank of America. (who also bought Countrywide)

I hope that once things do get back on track, we break up these large banks like we did with AT&T back in the day.

It's not healthy to have so few, control so much of lending.

That's a pretty interesting take. So they want to make money off of people in a late position, milk them for everything they can, and ONLY then will they give them help, but at a substantial cost?

What a f***ed up world we live in.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
That's a pretty interesting take. So they want to make money off of people in a late position, milk them for everything they can, and ONLY then will they give them help, but at a substantial cost?

That's pretty much what I was arguing a page ago, I think.

You should add 1 more thing...also, they get the government to foot a part of the bill somehow.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
That's pretty much what I was arguing a page ago, I think.

You should add 1 more thing...also, they get the government to foot a part of the bill somehow.

Which is why I asked what you were trying to say.

I don't quite know what to think about all of this, quite honestly.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 03:40 AM)

its kind of like the credit card companies too. they hate customers who pay off their balance every month. They prefer those who rack up lots of charges that they cant pay.... right away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
So out of curiousity, what should happen to the banks when customers don't pay?

That is a fair question, and what is in place seems to be the best solution for the banks.

What do we do if what is in the best interest of the company/bank/private entity is not in the best interest of consumers and ultimately the US?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
if you are Bank of America, I'd think you use the $73.8 billion in banked retained earnings that you've earned over time.

Then the US can use its trillions of dollars in retained earnings (aka tax money) and quit taking any more money from me.

SS, almost every state has limits on fees and interest that financial institutions can charge, what do you think of them? Consumer protection or unfair restrictions on banks?

I am uncertain of the history of these laws, but I am assuming they were a backlash against excessive fees that the banks were charging, or shameless pandering for votes by politicians. :-)

Discover: Small Business Confidence Hits 18-Month High

Monday, August 31, 2009

Discover released the results of its Small Business Watch survey for August, with the data indicating that economic confidence is beginning to return among America's entrepreneurs.

"For the past few months, small business owners have shown rising confidence in the overall economy, as well as an increasing sense that the conditions for their own businesses are improving," said Ryan Scully, director of Discover's business credit card. "This month we have a few more signs that they may be ready to start trying to grow their businesses again, and that the worst may be over."

According to the survey, the number of small business owners who think the economy is getting worse dropped to 43% in August, the lowest reading on that data point since the Watch's inception exactly three years ago. This month, 38% of owners say the economy is getting better, up from 30% in July; 15% believe that the economy is staying the same, down from 16% in July; and 4% remain unsure.

Among the report's other highlights:

48% of small business owners rate the economy as poor, which is the lowest percentage since February 2008, while 41% rate it fair and 9% say it is excellent or good.

30% of small business owners see economic conditions for their businesses improving, up from 29% in July; 44% see their own conditions getting worse, down from 46% in July; and 23% say the climate is unchanged.

27% of small business owners say they plan to increase spending on business development, such as advertising, inventory and capital expenditures, which is up from 23% in July; 43% plan to decrease spending, down from 49% in July; 25% are planning no changes; and 5% aren't sure.

51% of owners say they have experienced cash flow issues in the past 90 days, down from 53% in July.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Then the US can use its trillions of dollars in retained earnings (aka tax money) and quit taking any more money from me.

does the US truly have "retained earnings" as per definition?

In accounting, retained earnings refers to the portion of net income which is retained by the corporation rather than distributed to its owners as dividends. Similarly, if the corporation makes a loss, then that loss is retained and called variously retained losses, accumulated losses or accumulated deficit. Retained earnings and losses are cumulative from year to year with losses offsetting earnings.

I would think that the US is in a deficit position in their retained earnings portion, and thus is being balanced out by capital infusion. (aka borrowing)

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
does the US truly have "retained earnings" as per definition?

In accounting, retained earnings refers to the portion of net income which is retained by the corporation rather than distributed to its owners as dividends. Similarly, if the corporation makes a loss, then that loss is retained and called variously retained losses, accumulated losses or accumulated deficit. Retained earnings and losses are cumulative from year to year with losses offsetting earnings.

I would think that the US is in a deficit position in their retained earnings portion, and thus is being balanced out by capital infusion. (aka borrowing)

That wasn't serious, but it really doesn't help. If any other business had $10 trillion in accumulated losses, it wouldn't be around still.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
That wasn't serious, but it really doesn't help. If any other business had $10 trillion in accumulated losses, it wouldn't be around still.

Could you imagine the late fees on that debt? :lolhitting

By the way, I saw reported today that on top of the realization that TARP only actually used less than half of the $700B they were allocated, but early returns so far are showing a 15% profit. Still lots of money out there of course, and some of it (AIG, I am looking at you) may never come back. But at the very least, we have clearly seen that the most dire of predictions - that the money would all be gone, all $700B, with no profit and no principal - were very wrong.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
By the way, I saw reported today that on top of the realization that TARP only actually used less than half of the $700B they were allocated, but early returns so far are showing a 15% profit. Still lots of money out there of course, and some of it (AIG, I am looking at you) may never come back. But at the very least, we have clearly seen that the most dire of predictions - that the money would all be gone, all $700B, with no profit and no principal - were very wrong.

great point.

its funny, 6 months ago we were worried about the Great Depression II.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
Ah yes, governmental regulatory oversight at its best. Put the Wolves in charge of guarding the lambs.

And free enterprise at its best. Let Madoff operate without oversight.

Ah, the eternal struggle for a balance that protects the public.