Top 10 pick status

SoxAce

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
Washington 51-99

Pittsburgh 56-93

Baltimore 60-91

Cleveland 61-89

Kansas City 63-88

New York (N) 65-87

Arizona 66-86

Toronto 68-83

San Diego 69-83

Houston 70-81

Games back of top 10

Cincinnati 70-81 (tied; better record last year)

Oakland 72-79 (2 games back)

*Sox 73-79 (2.5 games back)

Milwaukee 74-77 (4 games back)

Tampa Bay 77-74 (6.5 games back)

Minnesota 78-73 (7.5 games back)

Cubs 78-72 (8.5 games back)

Updated after about 20 games. As you can see, some teams are now playing some good baseball since. Some.. aren't or weren't even on the list earlier. Sox are currently 13th overall as previously but gained a couple games in the standings not to mention it's more of a clusterf*** than before.

My buddy and I were talking about this right after Cabrera hit the homer last night. It came up about a week ago and now its on our minds again. Lucky for us - if we win out. It actually helps (realistically we are done though). If we dont then it helps. Most teams can win out and never see the team in front. The good news here is this.

The teams within striking distance of us have some things in our favor with their schedule, much like we have a "tougher" schedule remaining.

Cinci is playing the pirates, houston, the cards and pittsburg again...so one of those 2 with houston/cinci will have to win a couple games. Cinci has a good shot at passing us - regardless of how bad theyre.

Houston - little tougher boat. They are playin Cinci, Philly, NYM...Now I would love to see Cinci somehow beat up on the pirates and steal a couple from the cards and manage to get swept by Houston. Dream world but just saying. Houston can beat Cinci and the Mets though.

Milwaukee is behind us or ahead if you're looking at wins. They're playing a brutal stretch that includes 3 playoff teams (Philly, Colorado, STL) so that is not looking good for us.

Toronto - They get Baltimore 4 more times, Seattle 4 and Boston. Moderately tough but wouldn't shock me to see them win 6-8 of those games.

Oakland has been red hot so them playing the Angels, Seattle, and Texas is a who knows. If they keep it up - they should be able to steal lots of those games especially in Texas and Seattle.

Padres are another team playing well this month. Doubt theyll keep it up against the DOdgers, Rockies, Giants but again this late i nthe season is a mystery sometimes.

The way I see it is if we keep playing how we are, and these teams play as they have been then we should be a top 10 pick. In all honesty, this team has been a giant disappointment all season so I can see them losing the next two and then winning out when it wouldn't matter anymore. 10-13 is where we will pick I think. Any hire would be sheer luck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
You didn't like Mitchell?

I don't know what to think of him yet. Honestly, I don't claim to be any kind of a draft expert, but its hard to argue with the production we have gotten out of the minor leagues, until very recently, especially out of our first round guys. As you move up into the Top 10, that is a lot of money to give away annually.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
I don't know what to think of him yet. Honestly, I don't claim to be any kind of a draft expert, but its hard to argue with the production we have gotten out of the minor leagues, until very recently, especially out of our first round guys. As you move up into the Top 10, that is a lot of money to give away annually.

At least looking at where he was drafted, I'd say each of the last 2 drafts we've gotten very good value out of our first round pick given the spot that they were picked. You could argue that we've done that the last 3 also (you're not going to get 100% stars with mid to late 1st round picks.)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
At least looking at where he was drafted, I'd say each of the last 2 drafts we've gotten very good value out of our first round pick given the spot that they were picked. You could argue that we've done that the last 3 also (you're not going to get 100% stars with mid to late 1st round picks.)

I know that much, but you do have to get solid major leaguers at least. Maybe that has started to turn around, but there is pretty much a lost decade when it comes to our top picks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)

The Sox are paying Scott F'ing Linebrink 5 million a year. They are more than capable of giving a top 10 pick a 2 million dollar signing bonus, especially since the Sox have had an incredibly high success rate with top 10 picks and looking back at past drafts, top 10 picks actually have a solid track record of succeeding. At the very least they almost always give you good trade bait. At this point I actually hope the Sox suck the rest of the year and move up as high in the draft as possible.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
The Sox are paying Scott F'ing Linebrink 5 million a year. They are more than capable of giving a top 10 pick a 2 million dollar signing bonus, especially since the Sox have had an incredibly high success rate with top 10 picks and looking back at past drafts, top 10 picks actually have a solid track record of succeeding. At the very least they almost always give you good trade bait. At this point I actually hope the Sox suck the rest of the year and move up as high in the draft as possible.

The Sox won't go out of slot in the first round, so that eliminates lots of picks. Therein lies the big problem.

I'm not gonna lose sleep either way. As of right now I'm not all that impressed with the upcoming talent available via the draft from top to bottom. Not altogether that great IMO. So the difference between 10-15 probably won't mean squat except for money....

I'm not gonna lose sleep either way. As of right now I'm not all that impressed with the upcoming talent available via the draft from top to bottom. Not altogether that great IMO. So the difference between 10-15 probably won't mean squat except for money....

How does it work if we don't sign the player we drafted? if we had the 14th this year and didn't sign him, would we get the 15th next year? I'm not sure if it is a viable (or legal) option to purposely not sign the pick this year if this draft class is very weak and next years is very strong, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I'm sure that wouldn't happen though.