2016 Olympics

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
ABC has been laying it all on anti-Americanism in the IOC.

Well it's the truth. If Chicago lost in the last round, then you can blame the bid, or the city. But to lose in the first round despite one of the best bids being put together and support from the president? There's more to it then Chicago's credentials.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Still he's going to take a political hit for this one.

I don't think i could roll my eyes more.

The iranians just shipped a f load of uranium back to get re enriched in russia at lower levels IN ONE DIPLOMATIC MEETING, and because the olympics didn't come to chicago his approval will go down. GIVE ME A BREAK.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
YAY!! oh man yay!!! thousands of jobs won't be created in the city you live in the midst of a recession!!! The city we all love can't be put on a stage for the whole world to see!! Glorious day!!!

+ Infinity

:notworthy

Seriously, some of these reactions are laughable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
I don't think i could roll my eyes more.

The iranians just shipped a f load of uranium back to get re enriched in russia at lower levels IN ONE DIPLOMATIC MEETING, and because the olympics didn't come to chicago his approval will go down. GIVE ME A BREAK.

As stupid as it will be, he's going to be criticized/ mocked for this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
YAY!! oh man yay!!! thousands of jobs won't be created in the city you live in the midst of a recession!!! The city we all love can't be put on a stage for the whole world to see!! Glorious day!!!

Yay, Daley won’t get to feed even more corruption into the city that might not have been able to sustain the Olympics anyway! I f***ing love Chicago, but we need to be realistic here. Politically, we’re corrupt to the core.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Well it's the truth. If Chicago lost in the last round, then you can blame the bid, or the city. But to lose in the first round despite one of the best bids being put together and support from the president? There's more to it then Chicago's credentials.

I think a lot of credit goes to Madrid's bid making this difficult rather than any deficiency in the American bid.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Yay, Daley won’t get to feed even more corruption into the city that might not have been able to sustain the Olympics anyway! I f***ing love Chicago, but we need to be realistic here. Politically, we’re corrupt to the core.

People keep regurgitating this seemingly unaware that Rio makes us look like Mother Teresa.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
As stupid as it will be, he's going to be criticized/ mocked for this.

I’m not trying to make an ideological political statement (that's for the Buster). Just a logical assessment. Fair or not, Obama put a lot on the line here. The Obama, Michelle, Winfrey trifecta was supposed to be a shoo-in.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)

If Chicago can't sustain the olympics, none of those cities can. A lot of outside people come in to plan the olympics, and despite examples of people going OVER budget, there really hasn't been examples of corruption crippling any of these processes. Frankly, Chicago isn't that corrupt.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
I’m not trying to make an ideological political statement (that's for the Buster). Just a logical assessment. Fair or not, Obama put a lot on the line here. The Obama, Michelle, Winfrey trifecta was supposed to be a shoo-in.

Via TPM- Obama didnt want to go

Chuck Todd is saying that as recently as a few weeks ago, the White House had been resisting pressure from Chicago friends and supporters who were pushing for Obama to make a big push for Chicago.

QUOTE (Nixon @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I think a lot of credit goes to Madrid's bid making this difficult rather than any deficiency in the American bid.

Directly put, if you are European you'll be in the finals no matter what.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)

Sorry, I didn't mean you.

I don't think this was about Chicago, but more about Rio. I think they really want to get in going in South America. Which is nice, but the jobs in Chicago would have been really nice. I personally know people that would have benefited from this.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Here's an idea, take that millions of dollars you were getting from private entities and do something productive... fix the damn school.

Private money can not go to the schools.

The Olympic bid was a private untaking which I would say 95% of Chicago citizens do not understand. Daley really should have taken a backseat in this.

A private entity can not earmark money for public schools.