Boston announcers

oldsox

This is not a criticism of Hawk or Stoney, but sometimes the other team's announcers report differently. I'm watching the Boston telecast, and they pointed out that Rios has trouble with outside pitches and Quentin runs like his right foot is still troubling him. Not that this is newsworthy, but Chicago announcers don't seem st say stuff like that.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
This is not a criticism of Hawk or Stoney, but sometimes the other team's announcers report differently. I'm watching the Boston telecast, and they pointed out that Rios has trouble with outside pitches and Quentin runs like his right foot is still troubling him. Not that this is newsworthy, but Chicago announcers don't seem st say stuff like that.

Cause they're part of the organization. You think Kenny will be happy if Hawk goes on to tell us that Quentin isn't really healthy? Of course, watching him run will tell you that he's definitely not 100%, but they don't need to broadcast that.

I also find the Boston team quite boring...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
Cause they're part of the organization. You think Kenny will be happy if Hawk goes on to tell us that Quentin isn't really healthy? Of course, watching him run will tell you that he's definitely not 100%, but they don't need to broadcast that.

I also find the Boston team quite boring...

EVERYBODY knowns Quentin isn't 100 percent. Hawk talks about how Rios pulls off the ball and how Quentin isn't 100 percent all the time though, so I'm not sure I get the thread.

I listen to alot of the other team's announcers on my XM, and you can hate of chicago guys all you want, most of the other teams radio guys blow chunks. And the lady for the Yankmees makes me want to pull my haor out. She may know baseball, but her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. And they are ALL homers.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
I listen to alot of the other team's announcers on my XM, and you can hate of chicago guys all you want, most of the other teams radio guys blow chunks. And the lady for the Yankmees makes me want to pull my haor out. She may know baseball, but her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. And they are ALL homers.

Hah, she is brutal. Have you heard the clip of her when Roger Clemens came back to the Yankees the second time? Oh my....

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)

Just curious! Have you or anyone else ever heard Seattle announce Rick Rizzs. In the late 60's early 70's, I grew up a few houses away from him in a little town called Calumet Park Ill. A few years back, during a Sox game the camera pointed to Seattle's booth and Hawk mentioned Rick as being a south side Chicago home boy. When we were kids, Rick dreamed of being an announcer. Does anybody know how he does as an announcer? I've never had the chance to hear him. Thanks!

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
Just curious! Have you or anyone else ever heard Seattle announce Rick Rizzs. In the late 60's early 70's, I grew up a few houses away from him in a little town called Calumet Park Ill. A few years back, during a Sox game the camera pointed to Seattle's booth and Hawk mentioned Rick as being a south side Chicago home boy. When we were kids, Rick dreamed of being an announcer. Does anybody know how he does as an announcer? I've never had the chance to hear him. Thanks!

I've heard him, I grew up around the Seattle area. I like his home run call, "Goooobyeee baseball!"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
Yeah, he is pretty good. I like the Seattle crew. A lot of people consider them to be on the dull side, but the man you are talking about does a very solid job. Has a nice voice and really knows his stuff.

Thanks, I hope I get to hear him someday. Haven't seen him in quite a while. Growing up.......couldn't ask for a nicer guy to be around.

Very personable........and got along well with EVERYBODY! I remember him in the announcers booth doing little league games. He really got into it!

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)

enjoy!

Hah, thanks for that. That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard, especially since I saw and heard it live the first time...:)

I swear, she couldn't have been more excited had Jesus Christ been in "George's box."

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)

? Hawk and Stone have mention many times how Rios is pulling off the ball and he has no chance with pitches on the outside corner. As to Quentin, they aren't going to beat a dead horse. He's not 100% but isn't running much below normal. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Boston crew got most of their White Sox info from Hawk and Stone.

BTW, when the Sox go to Boston, occassionally Hawk will be on sports radio out there. He's still somewhat of a cult hero out there. Anyway, when he talks about the White Sox to the people out there, the rose colored glasses are off and he shoots straight. People might be shocked to know Hawk was thought to be too critical of the Red Sox when he broadcast there. He was supposedly a little like a sane Jimmy Piersall.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
EVERYBODY knowns Quentin isn't 100 percent. Hawk talks about how Rios pulls off the ball and how Quentin isn't 100 percent all the time though, so I'm not sure I get the thread.

I think the point I get is announcers are prejudiced for their team. Some worse than others mind you

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)

I listen to the Seattle guys quite a bit living in the northwest and they're pretty painful imo. blowers especially though.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
I listen to the Seattle guys quite a bit living in the northwest and they're pretty painful imo. blowers especially though.

I have to second your observation. I get the FoxNW and all the Seattle games and they are also carried o local radio. They really get to whining about things and bragging up their boyys. You would think Ichiro was close to Buddha or something listening to those yackers

I feel like the worst are announce teams that have announcers out in the stands and s***. Just more excuses to cut away from the game. Mets do this, I know Texas used to and various others. I have MLB.tv premium so I just always watch Hawk and Stoney this year, but in the past I used to have to watch the home broadcast of each game and got to sample the other announce crews.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
I feel like the worst are announce teams that have announcers out in the stands and s***. Just more excuses to cut away from the game. Mets do this, I know Texas used to and various others. I have MLB.tv premium so I just always watch Hawk and Stoney this year, but in the past I used to have to watch the home broadcast of each game and got to sample the other announce crews.

Sometimes the game is blacked out in our area, and I have to listen to it on the internet. I can't stand our announcers. They start off describing the plays and then go off on some tangent. I have to rely on Gameday to see what's going on in the game. Once, when they totally missed 3 plays that scored runs for us, I switched to the opposing teams' announcers to hear what happened. I won't listen to our audio announcers anymore. It's like they're not even watching the game.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)

And, the obligatory good looking female between-the-innings Red Sox crew member asked Ozzie if Thome now has a better chance of making it to the World Series....