The Official Put the Voodoo Devil Curse on the Tigers Thread

iamshack

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
KHP, I have to hand it to you man, you are making this work baby!

Thanks for sticking with me! If it weren't for the damn rays bullpen, the Kitties would have lost 5 in a row by now and we'd be 4.5 back....

Doom, Kitties, doom!

The Tigers have the Royals for 3 more, and they LOVE to be spoilers. They're already coming off a sweep of DET. Deroit will do no better than split the series at home against Toronto as the Tigers begin to feel the pressure. They might get a couple wins against Minny because Minny is going to start seriously unraveling too, but they're not beating Cleveland on the road and they CERTAINLY are NOT beating US! We'll be in second and no more than 2 games back by the time we go to Comerica for the final series of the season. A sweep will win it for us, but we may only have to take 2/3 to force a playoff. We've got this. Peavy and Freddy are going to lead the way with Hudson as our secret weapon in the bullpen.

Jarrod Washburn has just been awful for Detroit. 6.81 ERA, 11 HR allowed in 37 innings, 11 BB/18 K, 1.405 WHIP. I don't even think these numbers include tonight's mediocre performance (3 ER in 5 IP). I figured he'd be worse for Detroit than Seattle, but not by this much. Keep it up, Jarrod!

QUOTE (almagest @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Jarrod Washburn has just been awful for Detroit. 6.81 ERA, 11 HR allowed in 37 innings, 11 BB/18 K, 1.405 WHIP. I don't even think these numbers include tonight's mediocre performance (3 ER in 5 IP). I figured he'd be worse for Detroit than Seattle, but not by this much. Keep it up, Jarrod!

It's called regression to the means, and all mediocre players who have extended periods of success like Washburn eventually get hit by it, and hit hard (which is the main reason why I wasn't all that concerned when Detroit acquired him). Edwin Jackson is another guy due to have a regression, but unfortunately, his ERA has only been on a gradual climb, up about 0.6 runs in terms of ERA in the last 7 weeks.