9/9 PLAYOFFS

flavum

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
I'm starting to think Peavy needs a rehab start.

I get that it frustrates you, but let it go. This happens somewhat frequently, just since it's against one of our farm teams people are freaking out. Does it suck? Of course. And yes, it is not fair that they have to face someone of his caliber. However, things are rarely "fair" in the ranks of minor league baseball (or hockey). But, it is legal and Boston is not doing it just "to be dicks". Come on. In the world of Major League Baseball the ML team is #1 by the longest of measures. If that means having a player you want to help youre team in the playoffs make a rehab start that's what will happen. And if the regular seasons over, guess where/when they'll be making said start.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:16 AM)
I get that it frustrates you, but let it go. This happens somewhat frequently, just since it's against one of our farm teams people are freaking out. Does it suck? Of course. And yes, it is not fair that they have to face someone of his caliber. However, things are rarely "fair" in the ranks of minor league baseball (or hockey). But, it is legal and Boston is not doing it just "to be dicks". Come on. In the world of Major League Baseball the ML team is #1 by the longest of measures. If that means having a player you want to help youre team in the playoffs make a rehab start that's what will happen. And if the regular seasons over, guess where/when they'll be making said start.

Rationalize it all you want... but Dice-K pitching in an A-ball playoff game. Please.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:16 AM)

Hard concept for people to grasp. Truly.

Knowing how the soxtalk masses work, nothing would be said hereif it was peavy making a start against an opposing minor league team during a playoff run. Actually, i can already see it now, someone would probably bring it up (that it is unfair), and everyone would just laugh and snicker at it due to thorough amusement, then again like i mentioned, there is also a good possibility it's never even brought up. The red sox are doing nothing more than simply playing the system like every other team does when given the chance. This sort of thing happens during the regular season more often than people probably can imagine, this situation is only magnified because of the playoff atmosphere surrounding it. This is nothing to lose sleep over, or even think about twice, there are things of much greater importance to worry about.

If it was a legit rehab start, he wouldn't have been pitching well into the 7th inning. High profile pitchers on rehab starts don't go deep into a game like that. Even the Dash announcer, Ed Collari, thought it was classless on the Red Sox organization's part. There's no need to snap at us for pointing out something like that. Matsuzaka retired 13 or 14 guys in a row, it wasn't a level playing field. If it was a regular season game, it wouldn't matter. But when you're in a win or go home 5 game series, it makes a world of difference. It may be okay for the Red Sox to do it, but when you have other ways of letting him pitch, like say a simulated game with the major league team, don't try to tip the balance for your A ball team. I wouldn't think it's fair if Peavy or even Colon made a rehab start in the playoffs for Winston-Salem. I haven't even pointed out that it brought out a bunch of bandwagon Red Sox fans and skewed the crowd at a Dash home game in favor of the road team.

Edited by JPN366

It angers me that these kids worked so hard all year, only to have to face major league talent in what many will consider the most important game of their young professional careers. It's not like the Purple Phallus' offense is any good even. They've got Morel and Loman. What kind of test is this supposed to be for Dice-K? It's a b**** move, plain and simple.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
It angers me that these kids worked so hard al year, only to have to face major league talent in what many will consider the most important game of their young professional careers. It’s not like the Purple Phallus’ offense is any good even. They’ve got Morel and Loman what kind of test is this supposed to be for Dice-K? It’s a b**** move, plain and simple.

Even if he was pitching for Pawtucket, it would be classless.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
lolz who cares.. you care wayyy too much about minor league baseball

For better or worse, we’ve invested a lot in these kids. It pisses us off to see something like this be forced upon them. The minor leagues are for kids who aren’t ready for the Show quite yet, to have to face a World-Series winning major league pitcher in the 1st game of a 3 game series is ridiculous and unfair.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
For better or worse, we’ve invested a lot in these kids. It pisses us off to see something like this be forced upon them. The minor leagues are for kids who aren’t ready for the Show quite yet, to have to face a World-Series winning major league pitcher in the 1st game of a 3 game series is ridiculous and unfair.

Overreact much? Honestly, unless you're a serious minor league lover, does anyone even know who won the Southern league title last year? How about the Kanny League? Who won it in 2007? 2006? Who won the 2001 International league title? The minor leagues are for player development. Wins and losses are a DISTANT second in order of importance. It's not going to damage these kids for life to have to face a ML caliber pitcher in a playoff series that quite honestly doesn't mean a thing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Overreact much? Honestly, unless you're a serious minor league lover, does anyone even know who won the Southern league title last year? How about the Kanny League? Who won it in 2007? 2006? Who won the 2001 International league title? The minor leagues are for player development. Wins and losses are a DISTANT second in order of importance. It's not going to damage these kids for life to have to face a ML caliber pitcher in a playoff series that quite honestly doesn't mean a thing.

Now, who’s being over the top, Jordan? I’m well aware of just how much minor league championships matter in the greater scheme of things, I’m simply making the case that it was a bit low on the Red Sox parts to use the 1st game of a playoff series involving twenty year olds kid, as a rehab start for a mid-30’s international superstar pitcher.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Now, who’s being over the top, Jordan? I’m well aware of just how much minor league championships matter in the greater scheme of things, I’m simply making the case that it was a bit low on the Red Sox parts to use the 1st game of a playoff series involving twenty year olds kid, as a rehab start for a mid-30’s international superstar pitcher.

I realize it's kinda trifling on the Red Sox' part. But you're acting like this is some kind of abomination and that these kids, who most of them have no chance in hell at making the big leagues anyway, will be damaged beyond repair. I guess it's just me. You couldn't pay me to care about this.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
I realize it's kinda trifling on the Red Sox' part. But you're acting like this is some kind of abomination and that these kids, who most of them have no chance in hell at making the big leagues anyway, will be damaged beyond repair. I guess it's just me. You couldn't pay me to care about this.

I don’t think it’s an abomination. I just think it’s kind of a sucky thing to do. I don’t think it will have any long-term effect on anyone, other than leaving a couple of the kids with a sour taste in their mouth.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)

Ding ding ding.

And before anyone says it, no I am not out of touch. I grew up with an AHL franchise that constantly got screwed over, so I'm aware of how much it sucks when it happens to you. But, the fact of the matter is that minor league franchises #1 purpose is to improve the major league parent club.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)

The Red Sox AAA and AA teams are done. Who's next on the food chain? Well, that'd be High-A Salem. The Sawx want him to rejoin the rotation next week so they needed to see if he could get through a game with a 90-100 pitch workload (he was under 70 the last time out). This was the best move for the Boston Red Sox to evaluate where he was at. A side session or simulated game is not even comparable.

Bottom line, is that it is not a b**** move and it's the way baseball operates. Does it suck sometimes? Of course, but it's reality. Teams do this whenever necessary.

Imagine this situation:

-We're 2 games back of Detroit

-Peavy is where he's at right now

-We don't send him down to Birmingham or wherever to get a rehab start b/c "it just isn't right"

-We instead send him to a simulated game at extended ST

-Peavy proceeds to get shelled in his first game back.

Can you even imagine what kind of outcry this board would have?

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

I don’t think you could have contradicted yourself more if you made a conscious effort, ChiSox. What’s your point? That it is a b**** move, but it’s not a b**** move, because you say it isn’t a b**** move? Dice-K can throw in the side, go down to extended spring training, throw live batting practice to the team. He can do a lot of things. The point is that the Red sox chose to send him out for one game against a bunch of twenty years old, who played their asses off to get into the playoffs, and now have the cards stacked against them in a three-game series. I’m sure Loman and Morel just love the prospects of their teammates who can’t even hit low-A pitching having to face Dice-K. The minor league playoffs might not matter to you, but they matter to the teams who get there. It’s an uneven playing field.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I don’t think you could have contradicted yourself more if you made a conscious effort, ChiSox. What’s your point? That it is a b**** move, but it’s not a b**** move, because you say it isn’t a b**** move?

Ok that's not at all like anything I said but whatever.

I never said it was a b**** move. Ever. There are no contradictions anywhere in my post. So i don't really know what your point is or where you're getting that.

Dice-K can throw in the side, go down to extended spring training, throw live batting practice to the team. He can do a lot of things. The point is that the Red sox chose to send him out for one game against a bunch of twenty years old, who played their asses off to get into the playoffs, and now have the cards stacked against them in a three-game series.

They aren't even close to the same thing. Facing live hitters in an actual game situation is just a tad better than throwing BP to Papi.

If it was the same thing, why do teams send guys down during the regular season?

I’m sure Loman and Morel just love the prospects of their teammates who can’t even hit low-A pitching having to face Dice-K. The minor league playoffs might not matter to you, but they matter to the teams who get there. It’s an uneven playing field.

Didn't say they didn't matter. Not arguing it's uneven either. Even said earlier that it sucks. But it's the way of the game and the hierarchy. It's what happens. If the Red Sox feel this is the best for Dice K, and thus best for the Red Sox, so be it. Without the Red Sox there wouldnt be a Salem, pawtucket, or whoever. The timing sucks, but the Red Sox want to make sure he's ready as they prepare to bring him back and try to hold off the Rangers. You can't fault them for that. If it was a team like Arizona or the Mets then it is a totally different story. But the Sawx are still in it, and they're doing what they feel is the best for their team.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

They're playing a 5 game series. Those league championships matter to the fans of the teams. It is insulting to me and everyone who lives in a minor league town to say it doesn't matter. If you want to be a elitist a$$hole about it, then fine. But I'm proud of my minor league team and their 92 wins, I don't live in Chicago or in a major city. But I'm damn sure happy to pay less than $1,000 a year to take in 70 baseball games, with the possibility of comped tickets to more games if they reach the playoffs. And I'm certainly proud to see all 13 of those championship flags flying in the breeze beyond the outfield walls. It would be one thing if Dice-K had made a few starts with Salem before yesterday, but he didn't. That would be his first and only start with Salem. So, like it or not, it is a d*** move. If you want to defend the Red Sox, be my guest. But I'm pretty sure there's no precedence for this.

Edited by JPN366

The players on those teams care, you obviously haven't been to a minor league game and seen how much they care. If the minors are about development, then how does it help development to have to face someone like Matsuzaka in a playoff scenario in the Carolina League.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)

2008 SL M-Braves, 2008 Sally Augusta, 2007 Sally Columbus, 2006 Sally Lakewood, 2001 INT Louisville. It's as simple as using Google. Winning is good for player development, especially in the playoffs. Do you want a guy to make the major league team having a history of not caring about winning and losing?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Sez the guy posting in the minor league playoffs thread.

Theres a difference between following the minor league teams of your favorite MLB team and then getting all bent out of shape when something like this happens..

And besides, me making a comment about someone caring way too much about minor league baseball doesn't mean I care way too much about minor league baseball.. you're just trying to be a douche

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
The players on those teams care, you obviously haven't been to a minor league game and seen how much they care. If the minors are about development, then how does it help development to have to face someone like Matsuzaka in a playoff scenario in the Carolina League.

Im sure they do care, but I bet they aren't pissing and moaning about facing Dice-K as much as some of you are.. maybe they are happy they get to face a MLB pitcher as some of those players may never get that chance..

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Im sure they do care, but I bet they aren't pissing and moaning about facing Dice-K as much as some of you are.. maybe they are happy they get to face a MLB pitcher as some of those players may never get that chance..

I think they'd rather win the CL crown. I'm sure they're being professional about it, but all their hard work went out the window when they had to face someone who plays three levels above them. Like I said, it would be one thing if Matsuzaka had been making rehab starts with Salem before yesterday, but he hadn't.