Chicago White Sox @ LA Angels, 9:05 PM, WGN

justBLAZE

Paulie is slow as s*** and has hip issues. He's also an "easy" replace as a 1B, as 1B isn't as skilled of a position as CF. If he's failing and flailing about with his large contract and increasing age, of course people will call for his ouster, just like they're calling for Dye'sexit this year.

I really don't understand your position.

In my world, Paulie has been a great player and last year didn't deserve the bashing. He came back nicely this year and may in fact finish with 30 HRs.

Same for Dye. His track record I'd think makes it easier to not bash him.

For me, it's much easier to bash a guy like Rios for making out after out after out and not blaming Oz for "not giving him regular playing time." Pleeeeeze. You didn't say that, but somebody did.

I mean if Rios had hit a home run there I'd have applauded his ass. He didn't. He DPed again.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)

In my world, Paulie has been a great player and last year didn't deserve the bashing. He came back nicely this year and may in fact finish with 30 HRs.

For me, it's much easier to bash a guy like Rios for making out after out after out and not blaming Oz for "not giving him regular playing time." Pleeeeeze. You didn't say that, but somebody did.

I mean if Rios had hit a home run there I'd have applauded his ass. He didn't. He DPed again.

LOL. You're awesome, greg.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)

My position?

You asked why people boo Wise and Konerko but not Rios. I gave you reasoning as to why it may be happening.

Paulie and Dye deserve criticism as much as AJ, Pods, Jenks or anyone who is still on this roster from the "magical" 2005 season. At a certain point, guys get older and regress. If a guy needs replacing because he's starting to be less effective, people will boo them or complain about them. That's the perpetual-ness of baseball. The old guys get older, then get replaced by young guys.

If you are going to wear blinders against guys who won in the past but ignore their failings now, then there's always the 2005 WS DVD.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 04:19 AM)
Yeah that .235 batting average is really blowing up my skirt.

Some run correlations from last year:

Batting Average - r = .679

On Base Percentage - r = .834

Slugging - r = .903

OPS - r = .944

Batting average just isn't important when you have OBP, SLG and OPS.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Some run correlations from last year:

Batting Average - r = .679

On Base Percentage - r = .834

Slugging - r = .903

OPS - r = .944

Batting average just isn't important when you have OBP, SLG and OPS.

I agree with this. Especially when you factor in where he usually hits in the order. And it's a plus to get that kinda power production from a middle infielder. I wish he was just average against RH pitching. As there's obviously more RH pitchers than LH pitchers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
It's weird how it's OK to pounce on some players (Wise) and not OK to pounce on others (Rios).

I would never boo Rios from the stands BTW. I don't boo players. But he deserves some venom on here.

Wise is a not so good baseball player. He is a career minor leaguer who cannot hit at the major league level. Rios is a guy who has put together some pretty good seasons offensively, in fact 4 of them. So when a player has a few good years, and has a bad one. You can say maybe its a bad year. If he keeps it up, sure he will get his venom from plenty. Comparing a career minor leaguer with a guy who has put up a 47 doubles in a season is a joke.