KW's plan on the offseason

son of a rude

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I don't have any metrics in front of me, but I think Abreu is actually significantly worse in the OF than Dye even is. I think I read Abreu is having one of the worst defensive season ever recorded in RF. So if he is signed, that's just to be DH and a real 3rd starting OF would be needed.

DWise says hello

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with this team if they fired Walker. Honestly though, I think they need to complete their tweaking of getting older guys out of here, and the youth in. Let go of Jermaine. Trade PK and Jenks for some influx of young talent. As far as the bullpen, it's so crazy that anything can turn it upside down, so there's no point in wasting top dollar for a bullpen arm.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Yep, he's on the Score daily and says the same damn thing every day. Basically: you better start getting used to Scotty Pods. It could be real tough to watch this team next year.

If Pods hits next year like he did this year, he won't be difficult to watch at all.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
If Pods hits next year like he did this year, he won't be difficult to watch at all.

He will in my mind. Regardless of his league average OBP he's still a very bad baseball player. And that's taking an enormous leap of faith and assuming that he'll match his current production while at the same time avoiding the disabled list.

Most interesting is seeing who quit. If Kenny and the staff think a guy has quit, he is gone. That said, who do you think is among the "quitters"?

Heading my list is Alexei. His body language, watching him on the TV and at games, scream to me, "I want this season over". It looks like he's going through the motions. Dye, maybe, as he's had a horrible 2nd half and prob. wants to end the year.

Others?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
Read the Oney twitter from last week to see who won't be back.

http://www.thecollectorsgroup.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=24456

These posts were all during the game last night against Seattle. The Sox had a 3-1 lead in the 9th when Jenks blew the save and they lost in 14 innings. Oney Guillen travels with the team, so he very well could have been posting these from the dugout or clubhouse:

Quote:

If we don't win this game. Its over beyond over.

about 14 hours ago

Quote:

Sox nation don't get excited.... Looks like were sinking faster then the titanic.

about 13 hours ago

Quote:

U blow. Save and the game, and ur ****ing laughing ur ass of for 6 innings? Have some ****ing pride disgusting. He gone.

about 12 hours ago [Talking about Bobby Jenks here]

Quote:

I'm sure the flight back home will be pleasant.. Dead men walking...fans don't care so much... Players don't.

about 12 hours ago

Quote:

What this team does best drink.

about 11 hours ago

I can't find anything on anyone else specifically. Though there were a nice back and forth with Cowley before Oney got his plug pulled.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....rom-within.html

He mentions that he wants a team with players that are reliant on OBP and extra base hits (I assume he means slugging), but he says that he wants to improve within the organization and hints that there won't be any big FA signings. I wonder how this offseason will pan out. If he wants better OBP, more extra base hits, and better defense, I wonder if he will want Nix to be playing at 2b.

I f***ing love this plan! It doesn't seem to really mesh with what we've been hearing from Ozzie though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)
I can't find anything on anyone else specifically. Though there were a nice back and forth with Cowley before Oney got his plug pulled.

Great job finding this. As the message says, Jenks is gone. Who knows if there's more to the story than what we've heard this year in regards to him.

S. Podsednik 117 .325 .377 .368 .744

Paul Konerko 122 .311 .389 .516 .906

A. Ramirez 137 .307 .350 .482 .832

G. Beckham 88 .295 .347 .432 .778

Mark Kotsay† 25 .280 .333 .320 .653

Chris Getz 77 .275 .337 .375 .712

A. Pierzynski 103 .262 .313 .408 .721

Jim Thome† 85 .259 .426 .600 1.026

Jermaine Dye 119 .252 .377 .395 .772

B. Anderson† 49 .245 .315 .347 .662

Ramon Castro† 17 .235 .278 .471 .748

Jayson Nix 65 .231 .342 .400 .742

C. Quentin 80 .200 .320 .288 .607

Alex Rios† 30 .100

Cany anybody guess what this split is? Ugh, It looks so nice when I type it.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
I really hope Nix is our starter at 2b next year

I understand that Getz isn't the end all and be all, but the Nix for starter crew needs to dive into the numbers a bit more. Jayson Nix cannot hit right handed pitching, you know the predominant hand of the average starting pitcher. If anything, a platoon might appear again. Jayson needs to prove he can hit right handers before we proclaim him a starter.

.210BA/.308OBP/.663 OPS against righties.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
I understand that Getz isn't the end all and be all, but the Nix for starter crew needs to dive into the numbers a bit more. Jayson Nix cannot hit right handed pitching, you know the predominant hand of the average starting pitcher. If anything, a platoon might appear again. Jayson needs to prove he can hit right handers before we proclaim him a starter.

Nor can he hit with RISP. If Jason Nix is our fulltime starter next year we're screwed. We could be screwed anyway, but still

Getz and his .689 OPS against righties isnt much better. VS lefties he is even worse.

Nix has more potential than Getz. That blend of power and great defense is rare at 2nd base. Yeah yeah, I know Nix has a .970 fielding percentage or w/e, but his range is top notch. I read in a scouting report where somebody actually said he has the best range of any second baseman he has ever seen. With the pitching we will have next year, I really want to stack our defense. (please KW, gift us with JJ Hardy)

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Nor can he hit with RISP. If Jason Nix is our fulltime starter next year we're screwed. We could be screwed anyway, but still

Nixs' glove makes up for nearly every offensive shortcoming he has. It's also fair to assume that he will improve on offense. After all, this is his rookie year.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
Getz and his .689 OPS against righties isnt much better. VS lefties he is even worse.

Nix has more potential than Getz. That blend of power and great defense is rare at 2nd base. Yeah yeah, I know Nix has a .970 fielding percentage or w/e, but his range is top notch. I read in a scouting report where somebody actually said he has the best range of any second baseman he has ever seen. With the pitching we will have next year, I really want to stack our defense. (please KW, gift us with JJ Hardy)

It was two scouts and I posted it a few times on this site a while back. His glove is crazy good if he's getting consistent playing time there and not being f***ed around in the diamond and OF. He still pisses me off when he gets too pull happy (like he did in the minors which was his main weakness not to mention the K's though he's cut that down nicely this year and showing more discipline) but his upside is truly special (think a RH version of Chase Utley if he puts it together) Here was my potential defensive lineup from a while back.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...69689&st=30

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Nixs' glove makes up for nearly every offensive shortcoming he has.

Nix has made Alexei look like Ozzie Smith this year. I realize that Nix is defensively talented and versatile, but it's difficult to skate by on potential at his age when he's a veritable error machine on the field.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Nix has made Alexei look like Ozzie Smith this year. I realize that Nix is defensively talented and versatile, but it's difficult to skate by on potential at his age when he's a veritable error machine on the field.

Look at the real numbers. Error's is a flawed statistic, becasue it doesn't account for the range of the fielder, or the effort it took for said fielder to get to the point of making a play on the ball. Nix has tremendous range, and has saved a tremendous amounts of run for a team that suffered for defense. I'll grant that he's prone to making some poor choices in the field, but more often then not, he get's the job done in an extraordinary fashion.