Mets claim Jack Egbert off waivers...

prochisox

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Seems weird. The waiver trade period has passed and there seems to be no reason the Sox would need to take Egbert off the 40-man. What's the deal?

I don't know everything but I'm guessing it's time to start thinking about the rule 5 draft in early December. There's probably a couple guys in the minors who are eligible if we don't put them on the 40 man.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
I don't know everything but I'm guessing it's time to start thinking about the rule 5 draft in early December. There's probably a couple guys in the minors who are eligible if we don't put them on the 40 man.

Right, but the 40-man was at 39 anyway. This would be one of those 'Kenny has something brewing' moves if not for the fact that it's the last week of the season. The move isn't odd, just the timing.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Right, but the 40-man was at 39 anyway. This would be one of those 'Kenny has something brewing' moves if not for the fact that it's the last week of the season. The move isn't odd, just the timing.

Trying to slip him through unnoticed?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
There's been several waiver moves as of late even with teams not in contention. Obviously the Sox felt Egbert had no future in Chicago and wouldn't net anything in trade even as a throw in so he gone. Probably its just simple housecleaning.

Sure, there's not much complaining on giving up on Egbert. He has a better chance of making it than Broadway IMO, but it is housecleaning. I just think the timing is weird. Maybe there was some arrangement considering Egbert is from Staten Island. The Rule V could put him anywhere. Who knows, good luck Jack.

Great news for Mr. Egbert. Hopefully he gets an opportunity with the Mets.

I'm actually a little bit surprised Whisler didn't get claimed since he's a lefty and has some control. He'll probably be in another organization come ST also if he's a MiLB FA.

DRod and Fernando Hernandez are probably the next to go and those guys should also find a team to compete for next spring.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Great news for Mr. Egbert. Hopefully he gets an opportunity with the Mets.

I'm actually a little bit surprised Whisler didn't get claimed since he's a lefty and has some control. He'll probably be in another organization come ST also if he's a MiLB FA.

DRod and Fernando Hernandez are probably the next to go and those guys should also find a team to compete for next spring.

Agree on all fronts. Is it just me or do the Sox have more marginal value or possible MLB talent MiLB free agent/Rule V eligible guys than normal?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Agree on all fronts. Is it just me or do the Sox have more marginal value or possible MLB talent MiLB free agent/Rule V eligible guys than normal?

It always seems to be this way, we always seem to lose a guy or two to waivers or to the rule 5 that it would be nice to keep around.