Will Beckham win AL ROY?

watchtower41

Will Beckham win AL ROY?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Beckham win AL ROY?

• YES
    • NO

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
I didnt realize that Peavy was past his prime and that Petco delivered him his cy young.

Werent his numbers significantly better on the road than they were in Petco over his career?

In his entire career (including his three starts with the sox) he has been significantly better at home.

Home numbers - 2.82 era, .219 baa, .613 ops, 1.091 whip, 9.6 k/9, and a 3.67 k/bb ratio.

Road numbers - 3.79 era, .244 baa, .729 ops, 1.289 whip, 8.3 k/9, and a 2.55 k/bb ratio.

A nice positive though is his first and second half numbers are very similar in his career.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
Dodgers had FIVE rookie of the years in a row during that stretch. Karros-Piazza-Mondesi-Nomo-Hollandsworth. How sick is that?

Oakland had back-to-back winners in 04 and 05 (Crosby & Street).

Oakland also had Canseco-McGwire-Weiss in 87-89, iirc.

I don't think Beckham will win but it seems the players like him. He won the Sporting News ROY.

I'm hoping Verlander is one of those "every other year" guys and follows up his good year with a mediocre year. I would doubt Peavy is better than Verlander - though it will play out next year as they pitch to the same hitters (for the most part) but I will say that what I saw of Peavy in September has me totally psyched for next year.

Beckham wins Players Choice AL ROY

In a season full of outstanding rookie performances, standouts Gordon Beckham (Chicago White Sox) and J.A. Happ (Philadelphia Phillies) were voted by their peers as tops in Major League Baseball’s 2009 freshman class. Today, the Major League Baseball Players Association and ESPN Radio’s Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic announced the winners of the 2009 Players Choice Awards for each league’s Outstanding Rookie during the first of a series of segments to be broadcast exclusively this week on the Mike & Mike in the Morning show (6 a.m. – 10 a.m. ET). The 2009 Players Choice Awards, presented by Upper Deck, benefit the Major League Baseball Players Trust. [see complete Awards broadcast schedule below.]

Happ, 27, made an impressive jump from the Phillies’ bullpen to starter in late May, by posting a record of 12-4 with an ERA of 2.93. Drafted by the Phillies in the third round of the 2004 June draft (92nd overall), this season Happ struck out 119 batters in 166 innings pitched and posted two shutouts. In 2008, the 6’6” native of Peru, IL, finished second in the International League in strikeouts, with 151, and averaged 10.1 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched.

Beckham, 23, was drafted by Chicago in the 2008 June draft and made the jump to the Majors a quick one. He impressed his AL peers in short-order after making his season debut on June 4, and in just 103 games for the White Sox, he finished with 14 home runs, 63 RBI, 28 doubles and a .270 batting average. In 2008, Beckham attended the University of Georgia, where be batted .411 with 28 homers and 77 RBI, becoming the first Bulldog to hit over .400 since 1982. He finished the 2008 season tied for first among NCAA Division I home run leaders and was second in runs (97) and total bases (221).

To listen to a podcast of today’s Players Choice Awards announcements, please click here: http://search.espn.go.com/mike-and-mike/

Players Choice Awards annually recognize the best player, pitcher, rookie and comeback player in each league. The Player of the Year and Marvin Miller Man of the Year awards bestow top honors without regard to league. Balloting of all Major League players for the Players Choice Awards was conducted in September under the supervision of accounting firm KPMG.

Each 2009 Players Choice Award winner will recommend the charity of his choice to receive a grant from the Major League Baseball Players Trust. Since 1992, the Players Trust has contributed more than $3.5 million dollars to charities around the world in honor of Players Choice Award winners.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
direct link to beckham podcast

some good stuff here, particularly about thome.

This is why I'm kind of split on the Thome decision. I know he's getting up in age but even with that in mind, if he can hit 25 homers, 70 -80 rbi, the lefthanded presence in the center of the line up and his influence on the younger guys, I'm leaning towards bringing him back for another season, at the right price of course.

• 2 weeks later...