Insider Rumor Mill

rockren

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
The Yankees, etc., may be stacked with talent, but you put us in a best of 5/best of 7 series against any team in the league, if our starting pitchers are healthy, we can hang with them.

Until the hitters stop hitting.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
The Yankees, etc., may be stacked with talent, but you put us in a best of 5/best of 7 series against any team in the league, if our starting pitchers are healthy, we can hang with them.

Not without better defense and a more versatile offense. The sox don't have the guys--position players-- with the upside or the talent to hang with the best teams in baseball.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Not without better defense and a more versatile offense. The sox don't have the guys--position players-- with the upside or the talent to hang with the best teams in baseball.

Frankly, I simply don't buy that at all. The team's defense is already going to be upgraded a fair amount next year hopefully just from guys getting more experienced at their positions. Their offense was crap this year, but think of the AB's lost by Quentin, the AB's wasted on Wise, Fields, Anderson, the terrible years by JD, Rios, etc. The odds are that some of that isn't repeated. There's still a hole in the OF and at DH that needs filled, this team isn't going to be nearly as bad next year with the bats as this team was even if very little changes.

The thing that we need is a bullpen to be able to hang through the 7th-8th-9th innings regularly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
The way they have been babying Buerhle the last couple of years(I know he's still getting 200+ innings) it has to make you wonder if they think he is about ready to fade, plus he gets $14 million a year and Ozzie made it a point that he may be the #4 guy next year. It may be a PR nightmare but baseball genius to move him out and fill a few other spots. At some point next season, AJP and Buerhle become 5/10 men.

I don't see how they've been "babying" Mark, but you make a good point here. I think that we've seen his best, and I don't foresee him putting up another season like 2005 again (even a repeat of 2007 may be a stretch). Considering the development of Floyd, Danks, and Hudson and the fact that Peavy's now in the mix, it doesn't make much sense to continue to pay our 3rd or 4th best pitcher $14M/year. If the Sox are out of it in July, I'd definitely shop him for a good young hitter and a couple of other prospects.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
At some point next season, AJP and Buerhle become 5/10 men. If the Sox re-up with Dye, something nobody mentions, he will have full no trade rights. That's another reason to color him gone.

Pierzynski: June 24th

Buehrle: July 16th

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
This is by far the best post in this thread. I love how it got no responses because it insulted the masses. I'm with you on this one dude.

This pitching staff is too special to not spend 100 Million. If we overspend and field the correct team, the attendence spike when we start 35-10 will surely pay for these players.

And it starts with Bobby in the back.

:notworthy

It'll get shot down like everywhere else I've posted it, but why not Juan Pierre? He's LA's 4th OF, I'm sure he wouldn't be too hard to acquire, he does have a hefty contract though.

2009 Line:

Games: 145

Average .308

OBP: .365

Stolen Bases: 30/42 (Wish it was higher)

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 02:31 AM)
It'll get shot down like everywhere else I've posted it, but why not Juan Pierre? He's LA's 4th OF, I'm sure he wouldn't be too hard to acquire, he does have a hefty contract though.

2009 Line:

Average .308

A possible Linebrink for Pierre swap has been discussed, the idea of Fathom actually.

Might not be a bad idea if someone offers Podsednik a deal we are not interested in matching.

Problem is, if Dotel is going, we're going to need to get some kind of production out of Linebrink or else we're really going to be in trouble..

A possible Linebrink for Pierre swap has been discussed, the idea of Fathom actually.

Might not be a bad idea if someone offers Podsednik a deal we are not interested in matching.

Problem is, if Dotel is going, we're going to need to get some kind of production out of Linebrink or else we're really going to be in trouble..

Linebrink for Pierre, Im not fan of at all,Don't like trading bad contracts for bad contracts and i think Linebrink will have a BIG year in 2010............He's due.

Edited by East Side Z

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Linebrink for Pierre, Im not fan of at all,Don't like trading bad contracts for bad contracts and i think Linebrink will have a BIG year in 2010............He's due.

It's also possible that the Dodgers want to hold onto Pierre. Isn't Manny a FA next year? It's possible that they part ways with him, and it's not like Pierre sucked in his place earlier this year.

It's also possible that the Dodgers want to hold onto Pierre. Isn't Manny a FA next year? It's possible that they part ways with him, and it's not like Pierre sucked in his place earlier this year.

I think Manny has a player option for $25 mildo,if Im not mistaken............

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
If the Sox are out of it in July in our cruddy division, people will want heads to roll. It will be ugly.

Since everybody would be pissed off anyway, that would be a good time to deal Mark. He'd net a very nice package of young players.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
It'll get shot down like everywhere else I've posted it, but why not Juan Pierre? He's LA's 4th OF, I'm sure he wouldn't be too hard to acquire, he does have a hefty contract though. i agree with you maybe a trade that sends linebrink to the dodgers then pierres contract would be like 5 mil i for one like the idea

2009 Line:

Average .308

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 02:31 AM)

2009 Line:

Average .308

That is nearly identical to what Pods put up last year, in a month less with the big club.

132 game, .304 average, .353 OBP, and 30-43 SB

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
That is nearly identical to what Pods put up last year, in a month less with the big club.

132 game, .304 average, .353 OBP, and 30-43 SB

And in both cases, they apparently needed to be more selective in when to attempt steals. I like stolen bases, but you need to do it at a better clip than that to be of value. I'd rather have a guy go 20/22 (like Getz) than 30/43. There are very few baserunners who can steal at an effective rate (say, 75%+, give or take), on 30+ attempts. Only a very few, very elite guys can do that for more than one aberrant season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
And in both cases, they apparently needed to be more selective in when to attempt steals. I like stolen bases, but you need to do it at a better clip than that to be of value. I'd rather have a guy go 20/22 (like Getz) than 30/43. There are very few baserunners who can steal at an effective rate (say, 75%+, give or take), on 30+ attempts. Only a very few, very elite guys can do that for more than one aberrant season.

My feeling is that we don't need to use $10 million on another Pods, when we can have him for a few million dollars in all likelihood.