Young, Studly, Under Team Control Outfielders

Jerksticks

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
Ethier and Kemp, really? What could we possibly have to move for them? Those guys are all-stars in their mid 20s, their version of Carlos Quentin except not injury prone and better defensively.

I dunno man; how do you trade for Jake Peavy? Pretty much anybody but Pujols is available.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
I dunno man; how do you trade for Jake Peavy? Pretty much anybody but Pujols is available.

No, they're not. For a true superstar to become available he's going to have to make a lot of money for a team that is not willing to pay it. And even then, you have to compete with the powers that be, who can all absorb payroll fairly easily.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Hunter Pence from the Stros.

Unfortunately for us, Pence will probably be one of the only Astros Houston will NOT look to unload; however, I guess I could see a situation in which they were forced to unload him in order to restock a bit of talent into their weak system.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Unfortunately for us, Pence will probably be one of the only Astros Houston will NOT look to unload; however, I guess I could see a situation in which they were forced to unload him in order to restock a bit of talent into their weak system.

The problem is with the Astros, is that their owner basically demands that they be in playoff contention every season.

Hence why they have the worst farm system in baseball.

Now if he were to change focus in 2010, there's an opportunity to go nab Pence.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
I still think Aaron Cunningham would be a really nice pick-up.

He's under the proverbial radar... a spare piece in the Oakland outfield...

Start by offering them Josh Fields.

Add another player if necessary.

You got my vote on that one, I love AC as a hitter.

Cody Ross and Coco Crisp are reasonable targets who can hit a bit and help us a lot on defense. There's not much else out there, and of the guys that are (Willingham, Luke Scott, David DeJesus, etc.) most of them do not belong in either RF or CF. Let's please get some OF defense this year. That means no Quentin in RF, no Pods in CF, no more Dyes or Abreus playing defense, etc. I'm sick of watching poor defensive OF play, and it makes no sense at all to put just an average or worse defense out there behind our pitching staff.

And no thank you on Corey Hart. Pence might not be realistic, but he's probably a lot more realistic than Ethier or Kemp.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Michael Bourn! Won't happen but could you imagine that dude in our OF and our leadoff hitter? Wow!

I suggested targeting him after 2008 when he hit .228 with an OBP under .300. With his speed and defense, I thought he was a better option to rebound in 2009 than Owens, or Anderson. He had done well in his previous years showing the ability to hit for avg, and get on base.

The question is, who out there has had a poor 2009, yet has the kind of tools that would fit in well with the sox needs [speed, defense, OBP, ability to hit for avg.]? It may be a young guy who struggled in his 1st or 2nd yr, though has had success in the minors. I would think that kind of young OFer would make more sense than trying to land a big name young gun who had a very good 2009

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
I suggested targeting him after 2008 when he hit .228 with an OBP under .300. With his speed and defense, I thought he was a better option to rebound in 2009 than Owens, or Anderson. He had done well in his previous years showing the ability to hit for avg, and get on base.

The question is, who out there has had a poor 2009, yet has the kind of tools that would fit in well with the sox needs [speed, defense, OBP, ability to hit for avg.]? It may be a young guy who struggled in his 1st or 2nd yr, though has had success in the minors. I would think that kind of young OFer would make more sense than trying to land a big name young gun who had a very good 2009

That may make sense from an economic standpoint, but there are problems:

1. Just about every team is looking to dump salary which means they're likelier to hang onto those guys

2. IMO the market for cheap young players is at it's highest point in quite a while, while veteran players are becoming undervalued, so the cost (in talent via trade) vs. risk (of the player not developing) aspect of acquiring such a player might not be worth the effort

3. Kenny wants to win in 2010, and veterans present a better chance of helping that cause

Kenny is one of the best GM's in the game as far as evaluating talent, and you can't get any better than Hermie and his staff, so if the Sox find a young player that they really believe in who isn't going to cost an incredible package then I'd definitely be in favor of that. For now though, I'd look to find potential bargains on proven commodities who are at least versatile defensively and are also at an age where they can be expected to perform if healthy.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
That may make sense from an economic standpoint, but there are problems:

1. Just about every team is looking to dump salary which means they're likelier to hang onto those guys

2. IMO the market for cheap young players is at it's highest point in quite a while, while veteran players are becoming undervalued, so the cost (in talent via trade) vs. risk (of the player not developing) aspect of acquiring such a player might not be worth the effort

3. Kenny wants to win in 2010, and veterans present a better chance of helping that cause

Kenny is one of the best GM's in the game as far as evaluating talent, and you can't get any better than Hermie and his staff, so if the Sox find a young player that they really believe in who isn't going to cost an incredible package then I'd definitely be in favor of that. For now though, I'd look to find potential bargains on proven commodities who are at least versatile defensively and are also at an age where they can be expected to perform if healthy.

That's why I said Coco Crisp made sense, esp. as it would give the sox flexibility in all 3 OF spots, with Crisp able to play LF and Cf and Rios CF and RF.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that veterans give the sox the best chance of winning in 2010. The sox starting staff is set with vets. But if Kenny started trading some of the vets on offense [AJ, PK, Alexei], the sox ceiling could actually be higher--depending on the return. That's because those guys could give the sox major league ready players with upside that could at least equal what the vets gave the sox. PK esp. scares me for 2010. AJ also would be at peak value.