Zune HD vs Ipod Touch

bigruss

So Ive been thinking about splurging a bit and buying one of these mp3 players(I have verizon so cant get the iphone). I want something that not only plays music but also games and videos. I feel like with all the apps the ipod has the advantage for what Im looking for but Ive heard great things about the Zune HD and thay Microsoft is committed to expanding their app department and should be able to do so relatively easily especially in games.

Im looking for something that I can play hulu on or watch shows for free and movies/shows on the road.

Any experiences or comments are welcome, but please no "____ sucks balls" without backing it up, or "apple sucks, they're the man trying to take you over."

Comments or experiences with other mp3 players are cool too.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
So Ive been thinking about splurging a bit and buying one of these mp3 players(I have verizon so cant get the iphone). I want something that not only plays music but also games and videos. I feel like with all the apps the ipod has the advantage for what Im looking for but Ive heard great things about the Zune HD and thay Microsoft is committed to expanding their app department and should be able to do so relatively easily especially in games.

Im looking for something that I can play hulu on or watch shows for free and movies/shows on the road.

Any experiences or comments are welcome, but please no "____ sucks balls" without backing it up, or "apple sucks, they're the man trying to take you over."

Comments or experiences with other mp3 players are cool too.

I have an iphone and I would recommend the touch because you can jailbreak it and do a lot of stuff with it. Ive never used a zoon but IMO iphone/ipod cant be touched right now, and I am normally an anti apple customer.

I have a Blackberry Curve for my phone, and one of the things that irritates the heck out of me is the extreme lack of apps. They have them, but nowhere near as many as the iPhone and Touch. It also seems that all new app builders are only going with the Apple units. Even though there is the BB Storm out there, which is a touch screen and should therefore be easy enough to create apps for both it and the Apple devices, companies still only shoot for the Apple. I say this because if apps are something you are looking into, I would say you shouldn't even think of anything other than the iTouch right now. Supposedly the Blackberry is the number 1 selling smart phone, and if app builders aren't even considering that one really, then the Zune will be a LONG time coming with getting any decent apps.

My wife has an iTouch (oh...the puns that could be done with that...), and I have to say I love the dang thing. So much so that even though I do have my Curve, I am still entertaining thoughts of getting myself a Touch. The apps are plenty, and the thing is so easy to use in its natural form. Just like an iPod, you realize very quickly why they are so popular. Even if you have never used one, you know instantly what to do with it. It is a perfect creature of "common sense".

As for jailbreaking, my wifes is jailbroken. A guy here at my office did it, then handed it to us and said "now...you will need to take care of the rest". Which means there are numerous aspects of it that have NOT been finished. So unless you are a techy kind of person who plans to stay on top of the jailbreak, I say don't do it. If this was MY iTouch, I would have no problems with the updates or finishing the jailbreak. But my wife is NOT a techy person, so her jailbreak is a little pointless, and in need of updating.

But between the two devices you are considering...I say do the iTouch.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
I have an iphone and I would recommend the touch because you can jailbreak it and do a lot of stuff with it. Ive never used a zoon but IMO iphone/ipod cant be touched right now, and I am normally an anti apple customer.

What does jailbreak mean?

I have a touch and the only thing I don't like about it is I can't get online everywhere like you can with the iphone. I've never seen a Zune in person.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

I have an itouch. I love it. It's durable and clean. I jailbroke it to reform at it more to my liking. I put skype on it and can use it as a phone for the wireless down here. So many apps that are extremely helpful, and extremely entertaining for when I'm waiting around for class to start (scrabble ftw).

I love apple, and I don't code, and I don't game, it hits my needs to a tee, and I've never been disappointed with their products.

But the iTouch was one of the best purchases I've made for sure.

If I'm you, I'd wait on the Pre, which is coming to Verizon shortly.

Palm Pre to Verizon early 2010.

They are developing fine apps, and the music playback is extraordinary. My wife has an iPod and I have a Pre and there is no advantage to the iPod in terms of music.

There are some quality games, too.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
You might want to consider the 20GB Dell DJ. It only weighs 6 lbs.

photo_delldj.jpg

I used to have one of those. It was great for when your working out. It was so heavy it would pull your shorts down. Great for meeting ladies!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Heh. I had the 2nd generation which was 5.8 lbs.

I thought I was cool getting one of these. It was like 100 bucks cheaper than the Ipod. Than I got it and realized that it weighed more than a portable cd player.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Does anyone know about this new DROID promotion? I have heard rumors that it is a new Motorola phone/MP3 player

It is a Motorola phone/mp3

It also has Wi-Fi and a 5-megapixel low light capable digital camera

Pic Zune HD

Zune HD looks really sweet, apparently the UI is >>>>>> than ipod touch. I also like the OLED screen, alot better for viewing videos. The price is also quite nice (for the 16gb). The only problem is that right now its more geared towards being an mp3 player than an all in one device that I am looking for. The internet browser apparently is nowhere near as good as the touch's and the apps dont compare.

Can anybody give a brief overview of what jailbreaking is and the advantage of it?

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
If I'm you, I'd wait on the Pre, which is coming to Verizon shortly.

Palm Pre to Verizon early 2010.

They are developing fine apps, and the music playback is extraordinary. My wife has an iPod and I have a Pre and there is no advantage to the iPod in terms of music.

There are some quality games, too.

Hmm, sounds interesting. The only thing I have against phones being all inclusive is that you usually have to pay the internet charge right? If I can get free wireless on it great, Ill look into it more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Pic Zune HD

Zune HD looks really sweet, apparently the UI is >>>>>> than ipod touch. I also like the OLED screen, alot better for viewing videos. The price is also quite nice (for the 16gb). The only problem is that right now its more geared towards being an mp3 player than an all in one device that I am looking for. The internet browser apparently is nowhere near as good as the touch's and the apps dont compare.

Can anybody give a brief overview of what jailbreaking is and the advantage of it?

Just do a google search on iTouch/iPhone jailbreak,there's tons of info out there and step by step instructions on how to jailbreak your device the right way because you can f*** it up if not done right.

I have a first gen 32G iTouch that I haven't jailbroken because I don't want to risk messing it up.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
What does jailbreak mean?

I have a touch and the only thing I don't like about it is I can't get online everywhere like you can with the iphone. I've never seen a Zune in person.

It means you free the iPod or iPhone from software restrictions put on by Apple.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Pic Zune HD

Advantages of jailbreaking.

1. 3rd party apps.

2. It allows piracy (of App Store applications) if you like to go that way.

3. Themes and cool things Apple doesn't let you do.

4. Emulation (SNES, NES, Genesis, GBA, etc).

5. Anything you can possibly think of.

Disadvantages of jailbreaking.

1. Takes up a bit more memory, decreasing the overall performance of your iDevice, it depends on what you run. Themes take up nearly 11 MB of your RAM (at least that's what Winterboard takes up).

2. If you're not good with technology, it's not the best thing for you. If you want the full deal out of it, you need to really know how to tinker with your iDevice.

If you're strictly looking for a music player with a nicer screen and all, buy the Zune HD, it looks really nice and it's got an OLED screen. But if you're expecting Microsoft to build an App Store with 85,000 apps, you might as well think about 5-10 years in the future for that. As of right now, if you're looking for your device to do be a "smart" device that plays games and is able to use cool applications, the iPod touch is definitely the way to go.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Advantages of jailbreaking.

1. 3rd party apps.

2. It allows piracy (of App Store applications) if you like to go that way.

3. Themes and cool things Apple doesn't let you do.

4. Emulation (SNES, NES, Genesis, GBA, etc).

5. Anything you can possibly think of.

Disadvantages of jailbreaking.

1. Takes up a bit more memory, decreasing the overall performance of your iDevice, it depends on what you run. Themes take up nearly 11 MB of your RAM (at least that's what Winterboard takes up).

2. If you're not good with technology, it's not the best thing for you. If you want the full deal out of it, you need to really know how to tinker with your iDevice.

If you're strictly looking for a music player with a nicer screen and all, buy the Zune HD, it looks really nice and it's got an OLED screen. But if you're expecting Microsoft to build an App Store with 85,000 apps, you might as well think about 5-10 years in the future for that. As of right now, if you're looking for your device to do be a "smart" device that plays games and is able to use cool applications, the iPod touch is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for all the info. If I do buy the touch Ill prob just mess around with it for awhile and see if I really need/want to jailbreak it.

The Zune looks like it has a ton of potential, but as pointed out its just not at the same playing field as the touch for stuff other than music.

I have heard that combined with the monthly Zune Pass that it is epically awesome for music listeners, and although I love music I want more than an mp3 player for this kind of money.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
Thanks for all the info. If I do buy the touch Ill prob just mess around with it for awhile and see if I really need/want to jailbreak it.

The Zune looks like it has a ton of potential, but as pointed out its just not at the same playing field as the touch for stuff other than music.

I have heard that combined with the monthly Zune Pass that it is epically awesome for music listeners, and although I love music I want more than an mp3 player for this kind of money.

Its already so far behind the IPOD that its impossible to catch up to it. The user adoption wont be there.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)

OK, I'll take this point by point as I have experience with both the Zune (my sister owns one) and the Touch (I own one):

• Something that not only plays music but also games and videos: At the moment, advantage iPod as the Zune app eco-system has not developed yet. But will in time. It might take a while though. The iPod Touch apps are really great and robust.
  • Something that I can play hulu on: Last I heard, neither can play Hulu as neither device supports flash. There have been rumors for a while now of a Hulu app for the Touch, but nothing has come to be just yet. I have not read anything about a Zune HD Hulu app, but that doesnt mean they arent working on one.
  • Watch shows for free and movies/shows on the road: Irregardless of which you get, millage may vary on this depending on your locations Wi-Fi speeds. THere are several apps on the Itunes store that allow you to watch TV shows streamed to your iPod.
Overall, at this point in time, it's a win for the iPod Touch. Maybe in 6 months or a year it will be totally different.But it looks like for you, the iPod touch is the best option.

I will say this, having played with my sister's ZuneHD, I was VERY impressed. I wanted to dislike it, but I didnt. Like I said, it has a ton of potential, it's just not there yet.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000