Baseball Card Thread

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

Does anybody collect here?

I recently pulled a Francis Beltran gameused futures jersey from 2001. It was in a box of 2003 Bowman which I bought for 3.49. I also got a pack for 5.00 that was a Sosa patch #'d 92/99. It was great stuff. I got another pack and pulled Ryne Sandberg. What is up with that? Three Cubs? Luckally I picked up a trade for a gameused bat of A-Rod.

Anybody else?

I recently got my redempton of a Jordan from upper deck which was a 16 by 20 autograph and boy was it sweet. A pic of him making a jam with a silver autograph. Whoa that was nice s***.

Sorry my COMMA key is busted. My dad is gonna be :bang :angry: tomarrow on this PC. :nono Daddyio!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wsc425

Actually the hit thing now is Chicago rookies, game-used cards, short printed cards, and Rocco Baldelli guys like draft picks.

Good for you YASNY. What sets and cards of Pudge do you have?

The oldest complete set I have is 1983 Topps ... it has Sandburg, Gwynn and Boggs rookies. I know the special inserts and stuff are what's hot now. That is what drove me out of collecting. I collected as more of a fan than a collector. I have never sold any card unless I used the money to buy a another card.

i got a robin ventura rookie card. he is wearing his ok state jersey.... it is one of my favorites

I have Robin Ventura card from Team USA. Don't remember what brand, but I think it's an '89 vintage. Probably Topps.

Recently I found a Neal Cotts card I didn't know I had. It was from a box of 2001 UD prospects I bought a while ago. I got the box cause it was only like $20 and it had a memorabilia card (wound up with an Eddie Murray bat card).

Other memorabilia cards I have, Chipper Jones bat card, Delgado autographed bat card, Glavine bat card (guy at the card store was so pissed, cause I only bought one pack), Clemens Red Sox jersey card, Antwaan Randle El rookie jersey, and Ron Dugans rookie autograph jersey. The clerk thought I was a sucker for buying it, but oh if he only knew how much I loved the '99 FSU team he could have driven the price much higher.

I go through three-week stretches where I buy cards like mad and then forget about them for a year or two.

I used to collect, but I stopped mostly due to lack of $$. I kept wasting all my money on cards. Being a teenager it didn't really matter, but I need money more now. I'll probably start collecting again though. I found baseball to be the hardest to find good cards because there are so many players and only so few that have value. My best baseball cards are Barry Zito and Mark Mulder SP top prospects cards. I still can't believe I got those 2 in the same pack. My best card is an Upper Deck Slam Kenyon Martin Extra Strength 2 (type of insert) rookie card, it's #1 out of 25. I don't know it's value, but I heard that it being #1 doubles it's value. I think it's somewhere in the $150 range then, but I could be way off. I'm thinking about grading it because it's in good shape, then I could raise it's price and sell it. :headbang

Anyway, I think this thread is more for the off topic board...

I used to collect, but I stopped mostly due to lack of $$.  I kept wasting all my money on cards.  Being a teenager it didn't really matter, but I need money more now.  I'll probably start collecting again though.  I found baseball to be the hardest to find good cards because there are so many players and only so few that have value.  My best baseball cards are Barry Zito and Mark Mulder SP top prospects cards.  I still can't believe I got those 2 in the same pack.  My best card is an Upper Deck Slam Kenyon Martin Extra Strength 2 (type of insert) rookie card, it's #1 out of 25.  I don't know it's value, but I heard that it being #1 doubles it's value.  I think it's somewhere in the $150 range then, but I could be way off.  I'm thinking about grading it because it's in good shape, then I could raise it's price and sell it.  :headbang

Anyway, I think this thread is more for the off topic board...

ahh its fun here, did you see the stuff that is on that board????????

I'm with you Yasny, the card collecting game changed when all of a sudden there were 15 companies producing them, they went to $5 a pack and all the special insert cards and series started. It became too confusing.

It used to be fun to try and complete a set, buying them pack by pack. I hung in there when Donruss and Fleer joined the fray. When Upper Deck hopped in there, then Bowman again, Score, and Topps started the Stadium Club, yada, yada yada, I had to get out.

I do have the Barons 2003 team set, however. Very reminiscient (sp?) of the 1975 Topps set (Brett, Yount, Rice and Lynn rookies)... :D

I'm with you Yasny, the card collecting game changed when all of a sudden there were 15 companies producing them, they went to $5 a pack and all the special insert cards and series started.  It became too confusing. 

It used to be fun to try and complete a set, buying them pack by pack.  I hung in there when Donruss and Fleer joined the fray.  When Upper Deck hopped in there, then Bowman again, Score, and Topps started the Stadium Club,  yada, yada yada, I had to get out. 

I do have the Barons 2003 team set, however.  Very reminiscient (sp?) of the 1975 Topps set (Brett, Yount, Rice and Lynn rookies)...  :D

That is how I acquired the '83 Topps set. Pack by pack, with the exception of about 12 commons that I picked up at a card show in 90. As for the Baron's set, yes it is very similar. In fact, that thought crossed my mind before you pointed it out the first time. That's a nice looking set of cards.

I'm with you Yasny, the card collecting game changed when all of a sudden there were 15 companies producing them, they went to $5 a pack and all the special insert cards and series started.  It became too confusing. 

It used to be fun to try and complete a set, buying them pack by pack.  I hung in there when Donruss and Fleer joined the fray.  When Upper Deck hopped in there, then Bowman again, Score, and Topps started the Stadium Club,  yada, yada yada, I had to get out. 

I do have the Barons 2003 team set, however.  Very reminiscient (sp?) of the 1975 Topps set (Brett, Yount, Rice and Lynn rookies)...  :D

That is how I acquired the '83 Topps set. Pack by pack, with the exception of about 12 commons that I picked up at a card show in 90. As for the Baron's set, yes it is very similar. In fact, that thought crossed my mind before you pointed it out the first time. That's a nice looking set of cards.

Your Gary Peters card is a 1966 Topps, right?

Your Gary Peters card is a 1966 Topps, right?

If memory serves me correct, yes it is. I would pick up occasional old Sox cards too, as I collected.

I used to be a huge card collector. Iwould buy the cards individually and the complete sets (still unopened) I also have a box of I think fleer packs that I have never opened 1992 or 3. Anyway, I was looking through my cards the other day and found a Kenny Williams card when he played for the sox, so if anyone wants a card (I have two) name the price and I will send it :D

I have Doubles of the 1989 Donruss Ken Griffy Jr Rookie Card

Thing is, I have a lot of good cards but I dont know where I can sell them to get rid of them

I got a bunch of good Frank Thomas cards too and I know one of them was worth like 15 dollars a couple years ago..

I have been lookin for a place to get rid of these things but I dont know where they are anymore

I have Topps cards back to about 1953 or 1952. Not many way back then, but most of the Sox from 1956 on to present day. Started collecting as a kid in about 1963 and have almost all from 1964 thru about 1968, then sometime in the 1980s I started buying complete set, all still unopened.

Have only sold 1 card. Nolan Ryan rookie card, 1968 with he and Jerry Koosman on it for the Mets. Bought it by buying packs for nickel or dime and had doubles of it, friend of mine owns a baseball card shop (or did) and he had a guy who wanted it bad. I sold it for 750 dollars (could have gotten more). Not a bad investment for a penny back in 1968 eh.

I used to actively collect ... back in the early 90's.  I have just held on to what I accumulated.  I was focused on and collect most of Carlton fisk's cards, besides various sets and stuff.

I have done the same. Cards are expensive now and too fancy. I got various sets. But i haven't bought much the last set I bought was the 1994 Topps(1993 Season)

Now i just get SOx cards from kids around my house who give them to me when they have doubles. Missing a lot of the newer Sox

Rex, do you have doubles?? I'm interested in Sox Cards. I don't have any of 1988, or 1984 and back or 1993 forward. I have a binder dedicated to the sox, but i'm missing some years, would love to make a bigger binder.

I agree with you Rex on card companies , Barons set does remind me of 1975 Topps set with I have, I always enjoyed the 1975 set. :D