Nice Santos Article

Harry Chappas

Sergio Santos making best pitch to stick with Chicago White Sox

Converted shortstop made rapid progress through system

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune reporter

November 27, 2009

E-mail Print Text Size

Sergio Santos had brief doubts last summer about a transformation that took him back to where he started his professional career seven years ago.

"I was lying in bed as I thought about being back in Class A," Santos said. "I asked myself what I was doing, playing with guys just out of high school and college. But at the end of the day, I asked myself where I can be most successful while providing for a wife and two kids."

That meant being a pitcher after spending most of his baseball career as a power-hitting shortstop. He hadn't pitched regularly since his freshman year at Los Altos High School in Hacienda Heights, Calif.

With the aid of a fastball clocked as high as 98 mph and a willingness to learn quickly, Santos displayed enough talent and promise for the White Sox to protect him on their 40-man roster last Friday.

Although Santos, 26, is out of options and must make the Sox's Opening Day roster or be exposed to waivers, his quick ascent is one of the more remarkable achievements in the organization.

A veteran scout for an American League team said he would have recommended his team pay $50,000 to select the 6-foot-3, 225-pound Santos in the Rule 5 draft on Dec. 10 if he had been left unprotected.

The scout said he was more impressed with Santos' fastball and hard slider that produced 20 strikeouts in 14 2/3 innings than his 6.14 ERA for the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League, the final test that determined Santos' placement on the 40-man roster.

It also validated Santos' decision to convert to the mound after failing to reach the majors as a shortstop with three organizations, even though the Diamondbacks had made him a first-round draft selection in 2002.

"I went through every avenue," Santos said. "A higher power was telling me this was not the direction to go toward."

Santos credits the Sox, particularly farm director Buddy Bell, for the support that enabled him to make a position change. Santos was one of the first cuts of spring training in March but threw a bullpen session in front of several team officials before Bell asked him his preference.

Santos wanted to give the infield one more try, so he was dealt to the Giants for future considerations before encountering a position logjam that resulted in him returning to the Sox to embark on a pitching career.

"To this day, I'm thankful for Buddy Bell," Santos said. "He's the best guy I've run across in baseball."

Santos' full-time pitching journey started last May at Kannapolis before he advanced to Winston-Salem and finished the final six weeks at Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte. He had a combined 8.16 ERA with 20 walks but struck out 30 in 28 2/3 innings.

The Sox have been interested more with Santos learning the nuances of pitching than with his results.

"They look more for improvement, like throwing four sliders and making sure at least two of them are strikes," Santos said. "I'm now able to throw first-pitch sliders for strikes and on 3-2 counts, and changeups on 2-0 counts.

"It's a daunting challenge, but I've learned in four months what other pitchers have done in their entire careers."

Santos, a lifetime .248 minor league batter who hit 20 home runs for Toronto's Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2007, said he learned quickly to trust his instincts and not think like a hitter while on the mound.

He also plans to pitch later this winter for Hermosillo of the Mexican Pacific League so he will be ready to compete for a spot in the Sox's bullpen.

"It was funny to be in the Fall League and see a lot of scouts who watched me in high school," Santossaid. "They were excited and happy for me."

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Sergio Santos making best pitch to stick with Chicago White Sox

Although Santos, 26, is out of options and must make the Sox's Opening Day roster or be exposed to waivers, his quick ascent is one of the more remarkable achievements in the organization.

Great article, is there any way you guys see the bolded part happening? we already have pena linebrink and dj as righties in the pen. Do think the sox might put 4 RHP in the pen? Or do you think we could move linebrink? Its sounding like if he doesnt make the team that he could very well be claimed off waivers.