jack cust?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
it's slow here---- any thoughts on acquiring him? Would come cheap for the amount of production he'd give, and you can hide what (if i remember correctly) is an emabarassingly bad glove

If we signed him, chances are we throw him at DH.

Not my first option but I would much prefer him at DH than Kotsay and Thome. A move to the cell would be a good thing for him, not a fan of his strikeout numbers though.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
If we signed him, chances are we throw him at DH.

Not my first option but I would much prefer him at DH than Kotsay and Thome. A move to the cell would be a good thing for him, not a fan of his strikeout numbers though.

Thome's numbers last year were clearly better than Cust's.

If we acquired Cust, we would probably be buying 2 years of .240 BA, .350 OBP, and 25 homeruns per year from guy who can't field.

Salary-wise he'd cost what... about $1.5-$2M per year I think.

So...

a. Do we want that?

b. If so, what are we willing to give up to acquire that level of production?

c. Could we do better?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Thome's numbers were deflated by playing a month as a pinch hitter in a terrible hitters park.

Oh, well I think we all know what Thome can do. I wasn't trying to compare the two. I'd take Thome back before Cust, and I think Thome would play for cheaper anyways.

All I'm saying is Cust's numbers would most likely improve if he played here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Oh, well I think we all know what Thome can do. I wasn't trying to compare the two. I'd take Thome back before Cust, and I think Thome would play for cheaper anyways.

All I'm saying is Cust's numbers would most likely improve if he played here.

I do agree with you but couldn't you say that about any power hitter playing at the Cell?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I do agree with you but couldn't you say that about any power hitter playing at the Cell?

Yeah, for the most part. But Cust would be coming from an extreme pitcher's park to a favorable hitter's park. It's not the same as if he were putting up those numbers in Yankee Stadium or Camden Yards or something.

I like Cust, he would probably hit 40+ bombs here with his massive power and he'll still be a "young" 31 with his 3 years in the MLB as well (he's good for 100 BBs .370 OBP and as Balta and others said in the past, if a guy is jacking 30+ bombs and is walking 100 times, Ks should not be that much of a pet peeve), but I'd rather just sign Nick Johnson (who will hit for a much higher average and give you the same production and K less.. pretty much a rich version of Jack Cust) and pray that he stays healthy OR just give Tyler Flowers a chance (who imo can put up Custs .240/.356/.417/.773 line at the league minimum easily) and have him catch a good amount of games and DH. I actually have confidence in Tyler if Ozzie doesn't give up on him if he struggles early on. Then that can allow the sox to rotate the DH spot with AJ and Tyler.

Just looked at Cust's numbers.. what is alarming is his numbers seem like they are declining so maybe I will just advocate Tyler/Nick in that case. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

Nick Johnson wont be cheap. Obviously an upgrade over Cust, but what we're talking about here is two open positions and minimal dollars to spend (from what we're hearing from the Sox)

Now if they cut ties with Jenks things could be interesting....but we'll see.

Also if we depend on Flowers in any large way, we are risking a Brian Anderson type situation, where you want to contend immediately but in so doing give away tons of atbats to a young guy getting acclimated.

I dont see any way he can break camp here, since AJ's presence will keep Tyler's greatest value...still....in trade value. In the minors he stays a mysterious hitting catcher with patience at the plate.

Granted this can only be the last year or half year where that stays the case.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Nick Johnson wont be cheap. Obviously an upgrade over Cust, but what we're talking about here is two open positions and minimal dollars to spend (from what we're hearing from the Sox)

Now if they cut ties with Jenks things could be interesting....but we'll see.

No doubt, but I was saying if he was a couple to a few mil more even given the injury issues, I'd rather have him than Cust. But of course, unless the sox feel Tyler needs a bit more AAA time (which I believe they do at the moment) then I would rather have Tyler rotate at the DH/C spot with AJ and put up Cust line from last year which I believe he could do and will probably K less and give you a higher average with the power. (though he probably won't walk 93 times his first year but he'll balance out all in all) This is all hypothetically speaking of course. I still think KW has someone up his sleeve and we might see something at the winter meetings.

Edited by SoxAce

I would not at all be surprised if they get their extra dough by losing Jenks' salary. Then they can fill their offensive needs with one real solid piece and one decent guy.

Meanwhile the pen is hurt, but most pens go into the year needing a few shocking performances to make their team a contender. You'd have Hudson and a full year of Peña in the mix too.