Jake Fox and Aaron Miles Traded to Athletics

Princess Dye

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4711150

The Chicago Cubs traded Aaron Miles and Jake Fox to the Oakland A's for right-handed pitcher Jeff Gray and two minor-leaguers, according to ESPNChicago.com reporter Bruce Levine.

ESPNChicago.com baseball blog

Baseball blog The latest news from baseball beat reporter Bruce Levine. Blog

Gray pitched in five games for the A's in 2008 and 24 games last season, when he had a 3.76 ERA.

Edited by KyYlE23

Cunningham reported to be one of the pieces, along with Inoa. Dont know how reliable that source is.

EDIT: Looks to be a false rumor. Now seeing this being reported:

According to ESPN Chicago, the Cubs have traded Jake Fox and Aaron Miles to the A's for RHP Jeff Gray, RHP Ronny Morla and INF/OF Matt Spencer.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
Cunningham reported to be one of the pieces, along with Inoa. Dont know how reliable that source is.

EDIT: Looks to be a false rumor. Now seeing this being reported:

According to ESPN Chicago, the Cubs have traded Jake Fox and Aaron Miles to the A's for RHP Jeff Gray, RHP Ronny Morla and INF/OF Matt Spencer.

I was about to say...lol

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Trading Aaron Miles saves them $2.7M.

So, it sounds like in order to get rid of Aaron Miles, the Cubs had to move Jake Fox, a guy who has shown he can hit in the majors, but doesn't have a position to play.

The Cubs have now saved around $4 million with the Heilman trade, and now this trade.

They also saved something like $7 or $8 million with letting Rich Harden go as well...

Now, I know the Cubs have escalating salaries with guys like Soriano so they are either trimming payroll where possible to keep their current structure in line and/or give them some flexibility in what should be a buyers market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
Are any of these kids worth anything?

Also it is funny to see the Cubs dumping salary like it is going out of style, and NO ONE in the Chicago media saying a word about it.

If it was the Sox Cowley would have a full pager on how JR doesnt spend money.

Also it is funny to see the Cubs dumping salary like it is going out of style, and NO ONE in the Chicago media saying a word about it.

I think it's become well known that the Cubs aren't going to spend like they have over the last 3 or 4 seasons. They still will have a high payroll, but Jim Hendry now has to operate within about the same budget that he's been (probably with a small increase)...My guess is that they will remain relatively quiet this off-season because most of the money they have freed up will probably be used to account for the increases in some of their veteran players. I think they can still use another catcher because of Soto's struggles, and I'm not sure what they are doing about 2B. Obviously, they still the Milton Bradley issue hanging over the roster. Obviously, they are again looking for a team to pick up as much of that $21 million as possible, but good luck with that. I almost think they may be better just eating the money (easy for me to say) than finding a trade partner, maybe saving $5 million off the Bradley deal, but taking on another team's problem for the return. Who knows....but with Fukadome in RF, and Soriano in LF, they will need to find a CF as well. In summary, they obviously don't have much payroll to work with so Hendry is going to have to be creative in freeing up payroll.

There was a pretty big uproar last season when the Cubs dumped DeRosa and Marquis strictly for financial reasons. When you dump losers like Heilman and Miles the fans are more likely to applaud than boo. I don't think many people are upset to see Harden go either, he'll be overpaid by a club that loves his arm and he'll kill their pen like he did the Cubs', people like to complain that John Danks doesn't go deep enough into games, well he averaged significantly more IP per start last season than Harden did in a Cubs jersey.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
my friend plays in the A's organization and claims that jeff gray is a "badass", while spencer is either OF/1B and not much good news on morla.

is he a"badass" cause of his baseball abilities or a "badass" cause of his extracurricular activities?

have you seen the hatred on this board for D Wise? Well, Cubs fans hate Aaron Miles and his salary way more than that, so I'm sure they are all happy to see him go.

Either way, Sox fans can thank Aaron Miles for getting us our World Series starting shortstop