Coco Crisp Wants to Come to Chicago

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Crisp is light years better than Pods defensively.

His arm is still better than Pods if Greg wanted to go that route. I believe there was an article/posts out there who said there's only a handful of guys that have a weaker arm than Scott Podsednik. Damon, Pierre just to name a couple.

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
I would still prefer that money being spent by another team taking a chance on his health. We have criticized signing players in the past when they have injury issues, but now we forgive Crisp and ignore the healthy Pods? I don't agree with that at all.

We already had this discussion, it seems you've completely forgotten all it. If anyone's ignoring anything it's you.

Just a few weeks ago:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
You don't ignore it, you weigh the odds of each player contributing in 2010 then look at the other aspects of their game and the contractual demands of each. You don't ignore anything. Given the shortcomings and exorbitant contractual demands of Podsednik KW is looking at other options and Crisp is a good buy-low candidate.

And 5 months of injury free baseball from Podsednik does not make him "healthy", he's still as big an injury risk as ever once he gets that paycheck. One of the big reasons the Sox let him go in the first place was due to concerns over his dedication to the game and unwillingness to play through minor injuries.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
The Tribune is reporting that he'll be heatlhy by spring training. Still, shoulder injuries can really impact your career. They effect your swing and can easily be re-injured. Hopefully he's done all of the necessary strength and conditioning training.

Ptac, what type of concerns would there be for re-injury and is this a type of injury that someone can fully recover from (baseball wise) or will it always hinder him to an extent?

From what I've read and people I've talked to, both surgeries were basically clean ups with a little tightening. Nothing really major. He should fully recover. And it shouldn't really alter his swing. He didn't have the structural damage such as TCQ and others.

The sox can't afford to have another defensive hole in the OF to replace Dye like Pods would be. IMO, the best bet is to go with Crisp in LF, and have Quentin take over in RF. Crisp should get a low base salary with decent incentives. He needs to prove he's healthy and can take a 1 yr hit salary wise.

Crisp isn't ideal. But better than some other options out there. I haven't heard Randy Winn's name being mentioned anywhere. He was hurt last year but had hit over .300 the 2 prior years. And he plays above avg. defense in RF, and LF.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm just telling you the opinion of people in KC. They are happy to bid him bye bye.

If we acquire him, so be it. I won't be against him from day one. I just think he's old news.

What fans are these? The fans that voted in the Tango poll seem to think he's great out there.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
The sox can't afford to have another defensive hole in the OF to replace Dye like Pods would be. IMO, the best bet is to go with Crisp in LF, and have Quentin take over in RF. Crisp should get a low base salary with decent incentives. He needs to prove he's healthy and can take a 1 yr hit salary wise.

Crisp isn't ideal. But better than some other options out there. I haven't heard Randy Winn's name being mentioned anywhere. He was hurt last year but had hit over .300 the 2 prior years. And he plays above avg. defense in RF, and LF.

I am not sure about Randy Winn as a starter at this point. While Crisp isn't ideal...I think that Winn is even less ideal. He seemed to really fall off the face of the planet last year.

OBP SLG OPS OPS+

.353 .671 75

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)

Great suggestion. I am 10000000% behind this idea and I think we should sign him right now. He should come cheap enough to where we can still explore DH options, plus he can lead off, and he can give us a huge defensive boost in RF over Dye. He should also come on a 1-year deal, meaning we don't have to sign some s*** defender for 2 years who ends up blocking Jordan Danks. If Winn is healthy I want him here.

Also, check out the consistency of Winn's career:

vs. RHP: .289/.348/.417/.765

vs. LHP: .280/.332/.426/.758

Home: .285/.344/.412/.755

Away: .287/.344/.425/.769

1st half: .278/.340/.401/.724

2nd half: .295/.349/.439/.788

March/April: .268/.331/.380/.712

May: .294/.356/.425/.781

June: .271/.333/.391/.724

July: .303/.355/.434/.788

August: .283/.334/.410/.743

September/October: .295/.356/.467/.823

2009 was a bad year for him cumulatively, but in 472 PA he still hit .292/.354/.397/.751 vs. RHP. 2009 appears to have been an aberration vs. LHP, but if it's not, a Winn/Kotsay lead-off platoon is definitely an option.

Great f***ing suggestion. Sign me up.

I heard the Parker brothers want to come to Chicago also. It's best to keep the Coco Crisp's, Milton Bradley's & other weirdo name players out of the city. I believe we are going with a revolving LF(pods, kotsay, Matsuai), & that is better then a revolving CF(mackowiak, Anderson,Erstad, D-wise, Swish,etc...).