Coco Crisp Wants to Come to Chicago

Chisoxfn

Around the Winter Meetings: Putz, Crisp, Matsui, and More

Coco Crisp Interested in Sox

The 30 year old outfielder, while talking Tribune report Mark Gonzales, publicly talked about how much he enjoyed playing in Chicago and alluded to the fact that he would love to play in the city and is at the point where he's waiting on the Sox to make a move.

SN Take: Crisp probably shouldn't be a starting outfielder on a contending team, but given the limited resources the Sox have, Crisp might be the clubs best option. Crisp starting for the Sox would sit nicer if the club is able to agree to a contract with DH/LF Hideki Matsui. Matsui would fill a major void at the top of the order and allow the Sox to get away with a little less in the outfield (ie, Crisp). And while Crisp hasn't produced at an acceptable level for a leadoff hitter over the past couple season, he possesses the skill-set to be a near league average lead-off hitter. He would also provide the Sox with improved outfield defense and base-running. Would I be excited about Crisp leading off for the Sox, No, but with the rotation the club possesses, the addition of a legitimate DH (see Matsui), and a quality reliever (see Putz), the Sox would emerge from the winter-meetings as the run-away favorite in the AL Central.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
There's also no reason to believe the money and years will be equal.

Crisp won't get more than $2 million. Pods is currently asking for a lot more than that and is trying to get it over multiple years. The Sox won't do that and don't want to wait.

I see the club signing Crisp and if they can land Matsui also, than Kenny will spend the rest of his off-season quietly looking to find a way to get a young outfielder into Chicago with the potential to be a leadoff hitter. It might not happen, but If he lands his DH and gets at least an insurance option for the top of the order (Crisp), he won't have to do much else and should be able to win the division or at least be in position to win the division come the trade-deadline.

Honestly, if healthy, I might take Crisp over Pods. Crisp is a much better defender who is capable of playing good defense at two outfield positions (LF & CF) and is simply put a superior base-runner, imo.

If Crisp shoulders aren't healthy though and can't handle the contact, than Pods would be the better option. I wouldn't give Pods 4-5M for 1 year and certainly wouldn't give him a 2 or 3 yr deal worth that sort of money and right now that is the bottom line of what he is looking for.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Crisp won't get more than $2 million. Pods is currently asking for a lot more than that and is trying to get it over multiple years. The Sox won't do that and don't want to wait.

I see the club signing Crisp and if they can land Matsui also, than Kenny will spend the rest of his off-season quietly looking to find a way to get a young outfielder into Chicago with the potential to be a leadoff hitter. It might not happen, but If he lands his DH and gets at least an insurance option for the top of the order (Crisp), he won't have to do much else and should be able to win the division or at least be in position to win the division come the trade-deadline.

I think that would be great. As long as Crisp is healthy. What's the word on his injuries? Is he ready to play out of the gate?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I think that would be great. As long as Crisp is healthy. What's the word on his injuries? Is he ready to play out of the gate?

The Tribune is reporting that he'll be heatlhy by spring training. Still, shoulder injuries can really impact your career. They effect your swing and can easily be re-injured. Hopefully he's done all of the necessary strength and conditioning training.

Ptac, what type of concerns would there be for re-injury and is this a type of injury that someone can fully recover from (baseball wise) or will it always hinder him to an extent?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
ill take crisp, atleast he can catch the ball and wont get picked off 20 times

He needs to get on base first. Podsednik hit at a better average and is healthy. Crisp had both shoulders worked on and we don't know if he will be or can stay healthy for the year. His skills have diminished the last couple seasons. If he wants to come to Chicago let him go to the Cubs

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Honestly, if healthy, I might take Crisp over Pods. Crisp is a much better defender who is capable of playing good defense at two outfield positions (LF & CF) and is simply put a superior base-runner, imo.

If Crisp shoulders aren't healthy though and can't handle the contact, than Pods would be the better option. I wouldn't give Pods 4-5M for 1 year and certainly wouldn't give him a 2 or 3 yr deal worth that sort of money and right now that is the bottom line of what he is looking for.

Crisp is the vastly superior base runner and defender. If he's healthy there's no doubt in my mind who I take.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
The Tribune is reporting that he'll be heatlhy by spring training. Still, shoulder injuries can really impact your career. They effect your swing and can easily be re-injured. Hopefully he's done all of the necessary strength and conditioning training.

Ptac, what type of concerns would there be for re-injury and is this a type of injury that someone can fully recover from (baseball wise) or will it always hinder him to an extent?

Coco said that and I wouldn't expect him to say otherwise even if he wasn't

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Coco said that and I wouldn't expect him to say otherwise even if he wasn't

That's why you have a medical staff. Once they get his medical records and put him through a physical they should get a clear enough picture of his time table.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)

Ideally you get one of these two guys as a stop gap and Mitchell/Danks will be ready to fill that role in a year or two.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Crisp is the vastly superior base runner and defender. If he's healthy there's no doubt in my mind who I take.

This is the exact reason I don't want Pods back. Our defense has enough problems as is..another year of Pods in LF or on the bases would just be an adventure I don't want to take. Give me Covelli Crisp any day over Pods.

We need real players like Granderson instead of guys like Crisp who are broken down or Jones, Omar who are old news or simply old.

Our starting rotation is simply awesome, congrats to KW. The rest of the team ... will keep us at or a little above or below .500.

Of course there's always the chance Rios, Lexi, Teahen, CQ, have career years. If they do, then I guess we have a chance to do something special. I'm assuming Kenny will tweak the pen a bit and it will be better than average before he's done.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
I think he wants 2 yrs, $15M. I can't remember where I heard that.

I've read the $7M/per number in a couple places so that sounds about right. He needs to put down the pretty glass pipe though. If he gets a dime over 4 a year I'll be shocked.

Edited by bschmaranz