Kelly Johnson a fit?

harfman77

If we got him who's gonna the full time middle infielders? This is pretty unlikely that we'd acquire him since KW sees the infield as complete.

Edit- after reading that you said he was a former LF I realized I missed that the first time. In that case, it could be interesting. He's more of an offensive potential force from 2b than lf tho.

Edited by Markbilliards

KJ actually has a bit of power...I think he's easily capable of 20-25 home runs in the Cell. He's also very capable of hitting .280-.300 if he actually is allowed to settle in somewhere. He's not that unlike Teahan in that he's veen bounced around a bit and has played in a pitcher's park his entire career.

Depending on the payday required $3-4m (I have no idea as I am chatting up the old folks at the nursing home right now and visiting my grandmother), I'd be all in favor of adding him to our OF. If we're not going to trade for a big bat in the OF, we're going to have to accept an addition like this. Is he a possible platoon option with Jones?

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
no thanks. the sox need power in lf. if we are going to get a guy like that i would rather get the younger gardner with more upside.

:huh: Johnson is only a year and a half older than Gardner, so it's not like were talking about a massive age gap here. Even the "upside" argument is questionable at best. Hell KJ was a former 1st round pick, so there is talent there.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
As long as the theme is "Return to 2006 or 2007" the Sox should sign Garrett Atkins, have him play 3rd and have the waste of $14 million play RF.

I have seen quite a few posts reflecting this sort of attitude around here over the past few weeks.

While we would all love for the White Sox to be major players for the marque free agents, the fact remains that we have a majority of our payroll tied up in the pitching staff, and Konerko and Rios. We all knew going into this offseason that the only way to add impact players would be through trades, not FA signings. Apparently, we are not quite matching up, as of today, with those teams looking to shed payroll or rebuild by trading those high-impact players.

That leaves 1 of 2 options: sign some guys off the scrap heap and hope we get lucky with a few of them, or stand pat and go with what we have.

Knowing the reaction we would have if we stood pat, it appears to me that the White Sox are taking the better of the two options and at least trying to get lucky with a few down on their luck players. And that's fine with me. This offseason does not seem so different to me than the offseason leading into 05', and neither does the reaction amongst Sox fans seen much different. That's not to say the results will be the same, just that sometimes adding spare parts can go a long way towards building a well-rounded team.

I completely understand the desire to complain with each new non-impact player we take interest in, but we should also not be shocked either. I get the feeling around here that people are expecting a Matt Holliday signing or something...

Finally, these moves do nothing to damage our future, which is perhaps the most important thing. If they don't work out, it's not money committed long-term and allows us to go in a different direction in 2011-2013.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
I have seen quite a few posts reflecting this sort of attitude around here over the past few weeks.

While we would all love for the White Sox to be major players for the marque free agents, the fact remains that we have a majority of our payroll tied up in the pitching staff, and Konerko and Rios. We all knew going into this offseason that the only way to add impact players would be through trades, not FA signings. Apparently, we are not quite matching up, as of today, with those teams looking to shed payroll or rebuild by trading those high-impact players.

That leaves 1 of 2 options: sign some guys off the scrap heap and hope we get lucky with a few of them, or stand pat and go with what we have.

Knowing the reaction we would have if we stood pat, it appears to me that the White Sox are taking the better of the two options and at least trying to get lucky with a few down on their luck players. And that's fine with me. This offseason does not seem so different to me than the offseason leading into 05', and neither does the reaction amongst Sox fans seen much different. That's not to say the results will be the same, just that sometimes adding spare parts can go a long way towards building a well-rounded team.

I completely understand the desire to complain with each new non-impact player we take interest in, but we should also not be shocked either. I get the feeling around here that people are expecting a Matt Holliday signing or something...

Finally, these moves do nothing to damage our future, which is perhaps the most important thing. If they don't work out, it's not money committed long-term and allows us to go in a different direction in 2011-2013.

? $14 million was committed to Mark Teahan, and why would Garrett Atkins be a worse choice than Kelly Johnson or Brett Gardner?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
? $14 million was committed to Mark Teahan, and why would Garrett Atkins be a worse choice than Kelly Johnson or Brett Gardner?

$14 million for a starting player over 3 years. If that's going to handicap us for the near future, we're in big trouble.

As for Atkins, I never mentioned he would be better or worse than Johnson. I didn't mean to comment on your Atkins idea at all, actually.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
$14 million for a starting player over 3 years. If that's going to handicap us for the near future, we're in big trouble.

As for Atkins, I never mentioned he would be better or worse than Johnson. I didn't mean to comment on your Atkins idea at all, actually.

According to Gonzalez, they were several hundred thousand apart with Carrasco, so I'm thinking unless Teahan improves on his mediocre offensive numbers and his bottom 5 in baseball UZR rating at 3B, his $5.5 million hit in 2012 can easily come into play, as will his salary next year. People are already b****ing about the $5 million Linebrink is making.

In fact, it may be more money than the Sox spend on the starting SS and 2B combined the next 3 years.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
According to Gonzalez, they were several hundred thousand apart with Carrasco, so I'm thinking unless Teahan improves on his mediocre offensive numbers and his bottom 5 in baseball UZR rating at 3B, his $5.5 million hit in 2012 can easily come into play, as will his salary next year. People are already b****ing about the $5 million Linebrink is making.

In fact, it may be more money than the Sox spend on the starting SS and 2B combined the next 3 years.

Well I was unaware we had another Alexei or Gordo waiting around to play 3b. How did I manage to miss that?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Well I was unaware we had another Alexei or Gordo waiting around to play 3b. How did I manage to miss that?

One of them was playing 3B. Keep Getz at 2B, I don't think the team is weaker and you have $12-13 million more to spend the next 3 seasons.

Edited by Dick Allen

Ok, DA. If Chris Getz has a better year then Mark Teahen in 2010, i will change my username to GetzLover69 for the entire offseason. You can quote me on that. Teahen has something that Chris Getz doesn't. Namely, a world of unrealized potential. Getz was pretty much polished coming out of college, Teahen's been a scout's wet dream for half-a-dozen years running. I think that the potential in him is worth missing out Chris Getz and DJ Carrasco.