How much do you care about Ks?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
It actually makes a bit of sense because versatility can be a bad thing if said player's defense is that bad

Are you serious??????????????? Two of you guys??? C'mon Now!

Cust is comparable to Dye in RF and would be a better LF than Pods.

Do I want him playing ANY position other than DH? No chance.

BUT

Saying that Thome is a more versatile DH than Cust is downright proposterous.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:46 AM)
This...

Turn the page already. Only way I want to see Gentleman Jim on the squad is in a back up pinch hitting role. And with his inability to do anything other than DH, I don't think it's feasible.

Jim sported an .864 OPS with the Sox in 2009. That was 4th among all qualified DH's . His wOBA and ISO were .374 and .243 respectively (yes, I'm really starting to warm up to sexy Sabermetrics). And people act like it'd be an insult to have this guy back? Other than Matsui, and he's more than likely going to command more than we have to spend, who else out there is a realistic upgrade over what JT provided for us last year? We have to be the only team in the history of baseball that has this ridiculous obsession with rotating DH's or having a DH that can play the field.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
Jim sported an .864 OPS with the Sox in 2009. That was 4th among all qualified DH's . His wOBA and ISO were .374 and .243 respectively (yes, I'm really starting to warm up to sexy Sabermetrics). And people act like it'd be an insult to have this guy back? Other than Matsui, and he's more than likely going to command more than we have to spend, who else out there is a realistic upgrade over what JT provided for us last year? We have to be the only team in the history of baseball that has this ridiculous obsession with rotating DH's or having a DH that can play the field.

I agree with this. If it comes down to it, I don't mind having Thome back for another year. However, it's still VERY early, and, let's be honest, we KNOW that KW is going to make at least ONE completely unpredictable game-changing trade (for better or for worse) by April 1 that could shift the team dynamic completely.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 07:14 AM)
Are you serious??????????????? Two of you guys??? C'mon Now!

Cust is comparable to Dye in RF and would be a better LF than Pods.

Do I want him playing ANY position other than DH? No chance.

BUT

Saying that Thome is a more versatile DH than Cust is downright proposterous.

No one has said "Thome is a more versatile DH than Cust." What has been said is that Thome's lack of versatility actually works out better in this case because he's never going to be expected to play the field, whereas Cust likely will be. If you would rather have your DH play DH than play the field, why wouldn't you get the player with more offensive upside who is not going to hurt your team by playing defense?

It's not necessarily a bad thing that either Cust or Matsui can play the field, but if they were signed by the Sox and asked to play the field, I would hope it would be in an emergency situation only and never as a regular player out there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
No one has said "Thome is a more versatile DH than Cust." What has been said is that Thome's lack of versatility actually works out better in this case because he's never going to be expected to play the field, whereas Cust likely will be. If you would rather have your DH play DH than play the field, why wouldn't you get the player with more offensive upside who is not going to hurt your team by playing defense?

It's not necessarily a bad thing that either Cust or Matsui can play the field, but if they were signed by the Sox and asked to play the field, I would hope it would be in an emergency situation only and never as a regular player out there.

Matsui is not coming if he can't play the field...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
True, but didn't he say that?

Guillen did say the Sox won't sign a DH who can't play the field and was talking about Matsui at the time. While I'm certain that Guillen would like a versatile DH, part of me thinks that comment might have been part a negotiating tacitc. Matsui has made it clear that he wants to play the field a couple of days a week. I'm sure most teams see him as a full-time DH as they should. Saying we want a DH who can play the field could give the Sox a slight advantage from the get-go. I'd be willing to tolerate Matsui in LF once or twice a week to start the season if that made the difference in signing him or not. If he couldn't meet those demands, as I would expect, I'd just hope that Guillen would eventually stick him at DH full-time.

Im all for bringin in jack cust to DH his OBP has been .408 .375 and .356 in his 3 years of full time play which anything over .350 im fine with. he should straight up mash at the cell, id say about 35 dongs and 80-90 ribs, he'll come a lot cheaper than Matsui while only sacrificing Ks and batting average, everything else would be about the same between the 2.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)

I see nothing wrong with them ideally wanting someone that can do both. Worked out nicely for the Twins who had Jason Kubel play 60 games in the outfield last year. I believe that's the kind of situation they're hoping for and I think it would be great if they could do that. Just because they desire it doesn't mean they'll be able to pull it off, but there's nothing ridiculous about wanting it.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
I see nothing wrong with them ideally wanting someone that can do both. Worked out nicely for the Twins who had Jason Kubel play 60 games in the outfield last year. I believe that's the kind of situation they're hoping for and I think it would be great if they could do that. Just because they desire it doesn't mean they'll be able to pull it off, but there's nothing ridiculous about wanting it.

Ideally? Sure. But this seems to be a requirement now. If you're fortunate enough to have a DH that can play the field (without making a fool of himself), great. But DH's are DH's for a reason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
Guillen did say the Sox won't sign a DH who can't play the field and was talking about Matsui at the time. While I'm certain that Guillen would like a versatile DH, part of me thinks that comment might have been part a negotiating tacitc. Matsui has made it clear that he wants to play the field a couple of days a week. I'm sure most teams see him as a full-time DH as they should. Saying we want a DH who can play the field could give the Sox a slight advantage from the get-go. I'd be willing to tolerate Matsui in LF once or twice a week to start the season if that made the difference in signing him or not. If he couldn't meet those demands, as I would expect, I'd just hope that Guillen would eventually stick him at DH full-time.

Ozzie isn't the one negotiating contracts either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Ozzie isn't the one negotiating contracts either.

Yeah I know, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were speaking on behalf of the front office. It was purely speculation on my half anyways. Regardess, it doesn't matter now since Matsui is signing with the Angels.