Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

ummm... no. Saudis Want 'Mecca Time' to Replace GMT

(Aug. 11) -- For centuries, an astronomy observatory in Greenwich, London -- the namesake of Greenwich Mean Time -- has been the reference point for lines of longitude, ships' navigation on the world's seas and the time zones used today.

But Saudi Arabia wants to change that. It's building what it calls the largest clock in the world, atop the second-largest skyscraper in the world, in the Islamic holy city of Mecca -- in hopes of replacing GMT with "Mecca Time."

The clock dwarfs London's Big Ben, with four huge faces each about 130 feet in diameter and inscribed with the Arabic words "God is greatest." Only one of the clock's faces has been completed so far, covered with 98 million pieces of glass mosaics. Details were first released by the Saudi official news agency and picked up by several foreign media.

It's still under construction atop a nearly 2,000-foot-tall building overlooking Mecca's Grand Mosque, the point where Muslims around the world turn toward during their five daily prayers. Millions of faithful visit the site as part of the Muslim hajj voyage and other pilgrimages each year.

"We in Mecca hope to be the world's central time zone, and not just have a clock to look at, to show off," Mecca resident Hani al-Wajeeh told Agence France-Presse.

"Putting Mecca time in the face of Greenwich Mean Time, this is the goal," Mohammed Al-Arkubi, general manager of Royal Makkah Tower Hotel, told the Arab News, a Saudi newspaper.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Speaking of male reproductive organs I just got back from the doctor. I know doctors are professionals but I still feel really awkward when I pull out my penis for someone to look at.

Please tell me you've seen the episode of Louie where he goes to the doctor. Priceless

Speaking of male reproductive organs I just got back from the doctor. I know doctors are professionals but I still feel really awkward when I pull out my penis for someone to look at.

Then you couldn't handle ball surgery.

b**** please. At least it doesn't involve stirrups and a medieval looking torture devise.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
b**** please. At least it doesn't involve stirrups and a medieval looking torture devise.

I think having a vagina generally sucks more all-around than having a penis. Maintenance on those things is a b****.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
I think having a vagina generally sucks more all-around than having a penis. Maintenance on those things is a b****.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
I'd assume that it's like owning a cave that needs continual maintenance.

You guys are too funny.

It does have its advantages though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Vasectomies can be reversed if needed.

Yes, but it's not covered by insurance, it's not really effective, it takes 5 times longer to do and it's really not realistic. It really should be considered permanent.

Reversal

Edited by JPN366

You'd think after the first hundred or so times in that trench coat that would have gone away...