Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Hurricanes, dude.

When people mention Florida, most think Hurricanes. But since 2000, I think only 3 hurricanes has actually entered the "non-panhandle" part of Florida (and two of those were in one year) and most tend to hit the southern tip, not central Florida where we are going to move.

Since 1950, only 13 hurricanes made landfall with a rating of 3 or higher, most of which hit the tip or panhandle.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
When people mention Florida, most think Hurricanes. But since 2000, I think only 3 hurricanes has actually entered the "non-panhandle" part of Florida (and two of those were in one year) and most tend to hit the southern tip, not central Florida where we are going to move.

Since 1950, only 13 hurricanes made landfall with a rating of 3 or higher, most of which hit the tip or panhandle.

Its not like a Cat 1 or 2 storm is something to scoff at. You are still talking about winds sustained as high as 100 mph+.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
When people mention Florida, most think Hurricanes. But since 2000, I think only 3 hurricanes has actually entered the "non-panhandle" part of Florida (and two of those were in one year) and most tend to hit the souther tip, not central Florida where we are going to move.

It's been a couple more than that, but yeah for the most part the Florida peninsula is spared a lot of direct hits.

In 2004 alone, Charley, Francis and Jeane all were direct hits on the Peninsula (Ivan was more of a glancing blow for the Peninsula that bounced up and trashed the panhandle). Since then, Wilma (2005) and Tropical Storm Fay (2008) also hit the peninsula pretty good.

Been pretty quiet since Fay, I'm happy to report.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Oh no doubt. Just saying it's not nearly as bad as some people might make it out to be.

Actually that was my point. Even the "small" hurricanes can destroy plenty. Trust me, I lived through one. They are incredibly destructive and costly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Actually that was my point. Even the "small" hurricanes can destroy plenty. Trust me, I lived through one. They are incredibly destructive and costly.

I'm not overly concerned. There's no perfect place to live in the united states. Every place has it's draw backs: snow, tornado, hurricanes, earthquakes, valcanos

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm not overly concerned. There's no perfect place to live in the united states. Every place has it's draw backs: snow, tornado, hurricanes, earthquakes, valcanos, Cubs fans. . .

needed fixin'

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm not overly concerned. There's no perfect place to live in the united states. Every place has it's draw backs: snow, tornado, hurricanes, earthquakes, valcanos

Guess you never heard of San Diego.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Guess you never heard of San Diego.

This. My business will keep me here, but I've always told the wife theres only one place I'd move to from Chicago, and San Diego is that place without a question.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
they do get earthquakes. In fact, a former co-worker of mine just moved there. It's about the closest you can get to perfect.

They will certainly feel the next big one, but they're not as vulnerable to a large event on the San Andreas as Los Angeles is, so that counts for something. A magnitude 7 in the hills could happen any time, but the city wouldn't likely end from that.

My wife's financial habits are just so f***ing godawful. It's like having cancer. I don't know what I got myself into sometimes, she's like quicksand around my ankles.

I was talking about going on a cruise next spring for our 5th anniversary but I said "we aren't going to do anything though until we catch up on our bills, I don't care how many years we've been married, it's pretty stupid to go on a vacation while we're behind on bills." I still have a nice healthy balance on my electric bill from that debacle a few weeks ago, and she is somehow behind on the Verizon bill (although she insists it's not a big deal). She asks me a few minutes ago "so when you say 'we' do you really mean 'me'"? I wanted to say "yes b**** who the f*** did you think was gonna do it? You better start pinching pennies"

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
The wine country in California is pretty nice I hear.

PS - Hurricane Andrew mowing down Homestead in '93 pretty much swore me off of Florida (that, and the oppressive humidity, alligators and giant bugs).

Ahh, yes, the humidity is reason enough to avoid Florida.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
My wife's financial habits are just so f***ing godawful. It's like having cancer. I don't know what I got myself into sometimes, she's like quicksand around my ankles.

I was talking about going on a cruise next spring for our 5th anniversary but I said "we aren't going to do anything though until we catch up on our bills, I don't care how many years we've been married, it's pretty stupid to go on a vacation while we're behind on bills." I still have a nice healthy balance on my electric bill from that debacle a few weeks ago, and she is somehow behind on the Verizon bill (although she insists it's not a big deal). She asks me a few minutes ago "so when you say 'we' do you really mean 'me'"? I wanted to say "yes b**** who the f*** did you think was gonna do it? You better start pinching pennies"

LOL

Oh god help me. This is what I am in for pretty soon.

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
LOL

Oh god help me. This is what I am in for pretty soon.

I wish I married someone with good credit. Don't marry your fiance if her score is less than 660. lol. Make her print it out for you if necessary.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I wish I married someone with good credit. Don't marry your fiance if her score is less than 660. lol. Make her print it out for you if necessary.

People really should talk about financial goals before they get married. We did. We have a plan for saving money and building credit before we buy a house, etc. This is a really big reason why living together before marriage is important. A lot of this stuff cannot be hidden when you are both seeing the same bills.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
People really should talk about financial goals before they get married. We did. We have a plan for saving money and building credit before we buy a house, etc. This is a really big reason why living together before marriage is important. A lot of this stuff cannot be hidden when you are both seeing the same bills.

I completely agree.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)

Thirded.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)

She has awesome credit. She takes finances very seriously when I on the other hand have been more of a free spender before I met her.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)

We have finally gotten to the point to where everything regarding money is all out in the open. She has been up front from the beginning but I had a hard time of letting her in on my finances and money habits. I gave in because I just knew I had no choice. It has been a challenge to think of our finances as ONE and not having a seperate thing going on.