2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

Larussa with some HORRIBLE managing today. Cubs have given the Cardinals every chance in the world.

Carlos Marmol must have naked pictures of every umpire. No one gets a wider strike zone from umpires than he does.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
This has been an awful baseball game. And my god, is Marmol's strike zone huge.

It's really an embarrassment to see how big of a zone he gets. Glavine/Maddux in their primes didn't get a bigger zone. If Cardinals don't win tomorrow, I'm not so sure Cubs go into sell mode. It's really amazing how lucky they're going to get in the first month or so after the ASB with regards to pitching match-ups, as they miss Oswalt again next week and then no Jimenez in Colorado.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
It's really an embarrassment to see how big of a zone he gets. Glavine/Maddux in their primes didn't get a bigger zone. If Cardinals don't win tomorrow, I'm not so sure Cubs go into sell mode. It's really amazing how lucky they're going to get in the first month or so after the ASB with regards to pitching match-ups, as they miss Oswalt again next week and then no Jimenez in Colorado.

Did 2003 do permanent damage to you regarding the Cubs? lol. They could be 20 games out with 22 to play and you'd be scared that they'd go on a 22-0 run while the first place team went 0-22. I don't care if they win tomorrow. They're are not a threat to the Cardinals.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)

Are you sure that's a good thing? For the most part, the dude's been pretty bad for the last month.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Did 2003 do permanent damage to you regarding the Cubs? lol. They could be 20 games out with 22 to play and you'd be scared that they'd go on a 22-0 run while the first place team went 0-22. I don't care if they win tomorrow. They're are not a threat to the Cardinals.

I looked at the match-ups coming out of the ASB, and I thought the Cubs could go on a nice run and get themselves within 5 or 6 games by the end of July. I was/am hoping that they're still around 10 games or so, and that way they will trade off Lilly, etc. I've never understood how the Cubs struggled so much this season, as their lineup is pretty damn good. With Lee and Ramirez coming out of their season-long slumps, they have the best lineup in the NL Central, IMO

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
With Lee and Ramirez coming out of their season-long slumps, they have the best lineup in the NL Central, IMO

Have you taken the time to look at the Reds and Cardinals lineups? Esp. the Reds.

The Reds and the Brewers are #1 and #2 in the NL in runs. The Cardinals are 7th. The Cubs are 4th out of 6 offenses in the NL Central. You're arguing that the Cubs should still have the best offense in the NL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Have you taken the time to look at the Reds and Cardinals lineups? Esp. the Reds.

The Reds and the Brewers are #1 and #2 in the NL in runs. The Cardinals are 7th. The Cubs are 4th out of 6 offenses in the NL Central. You're arguing that the Cubs should still have the best offense in the NL.

Yes, the Reds lineup without Rolen, who might be heading to the DL, has really struggled. They started struggling before the ASB. I know what everyone's numbers are, but when you compare 1-8 in the lineup in the NL Central, I would take the Cubs over the Cards and Reds going forward.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
I would take the Cubs over the Cards and Reds going forward.

If I assume that everyone is 3 years younger, sure.

Today...not a chance in Hell.

Why do you get to assume that the Cubs will be healthy and play like they're all 27 but Rolen won't heal?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
If I assume that everyone is 3 years younger, sure.

Today...not a chance in Hell.

Why do you get to assume that the Cubs will be healthy and play like they're all 27 but Rolen won't heal?

So for rest of year Balta, who puts up better numbers: Rolen or Aramis?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
So for rest of year Balta, who puts up better numbers: Rolen or Aramis?

Aramis's career numbers averages right around a .900 OPS if he's healthy. Rolen's put up a .900 OPS all year. Rolen's probably going to be back in a couple days. The injury risk is probably equal.

I'd call tossup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Balta, the Reds are 2 innings away from getting shut out for the 4th time in 12 games. That would also be a Major League leading 12th time being shut out on offense.

fathom, the cubs are 45-53, 9.5 games out of first, and in 4th place in their division

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
fathom, the cubs are 45-53, 9.5 games out of first, and in 4th place in their division

We were talking about comparing the offenses of the NL Central teams, as well as the prognosis of the offenses from here. The Reds offense is struggling, especially with Rolen out. That's all I was mentioning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
We were talking about comparing the offenses of the NL Central teams, as well as the prognosis of the offenses from here. The Reds offense is struggling, especially with Rolen out. That's all I was mentioning.

you were using your comparison earlier to prove that the Central needs to look out because here come the Cubs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
you were using your comparison earlier to prove that the Central needs to look out because here come the Cubs

Yes, I feel like the Cubs offense has finally woken up, and their season is not over. They have so many remaining games vs Reds/Cardinals, they can still put a huge dent into the approximately 10 game lead.

Carpenter almost gets tossed after a non called 3rd strike to Soto. I literally have the game on mute so I don't have to listen to Bobby Valentine. What a f***ing awful baseball weekend...and yes, if the Cubs win, that's 3.5 games they've made up in 4 days.

Umpires making awful calls all over the place for the Cubs tonight...ugh

Edited by fathom

Seriously, how f***ing stupid can the Cardinals play? Holliday was tagging instead of scoring easily on a single with one out. Yadier Molina is freaking terrible with the bat this season, as well. Can't believe he was voted to start the ASG.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Seriously, how f***ing stupid can the Cardinals play? Holliday was tagging instead of scoring easily on a single with one out. Yadier Molina is freaking terrible with the bat this season, as well. Can't believe he was voted to start the ASG.

There have been some dumb plays, but either way this has actually been a very entertaining game to watch, lots of action in each inning. On to the 11th.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Yes, I feel like the Cubs offense has finally woken up, and their season is not over. They have so many remaining games vs Reds/Cardinals, they can still put a huge dent into the approximately 10 game lead.

They're 9.5 out of first (behind two teams!) and a game and a half behind the freaking Brewers. Their season is over, and would still be over had they won Sunday. Your disdain for the Cubs is admirable, but you need to not give them so much credit. Not only do they suck, but their contract situation is so bad that even though they BADLY need to shed some salary, Lilly might be the only guy they're able to dump.

Edited by whitesoxfan101