2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
D. Lee used his no-trade clause to void a deal to LAA. He's staying with Cubs for rest of season.

Haha, Jim Hendry's no trade clause on every contract is starting to haunt them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
that surprises me, you would think Lee would want to go to a possible contender

I wouldn't be surprised if he waives it to go to a team that is more in contention, but I could see him not wanting play in CA for 2 months with a team that's 8.5 out of first and basically no shot at the wild card.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if he waives it to go to a team that is more in contention, but I could see him not wanting play in CA for 2 months with a team that's 8.5 out of first and basically no shot at the wild card.

Exactly, he'd be moving out west for 2 months basically for nothing, only to have to move again after the season. If he turned down a trade to Texas or something, I'd be more surprised.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I really wonder if Ozzie could talk him into coming here?

Probably. I think part of the reason he'd like to stay is his daughter, and obviously he wouldn't have to move to play for the Sox. I can't see a deal like that happening though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
How would PK feel about becoming the everyday DH? There's no way you'd waste Lee's glove at DH.

I don't think any player wants to DH. It's more or less an insult to your ability to play defense.

But in cases like Adam Dunn, insults like that don't even do him justice to describe how bad he really is.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Haha, Jim Hendry's no trade clause on every contract is starting to haunt them.

Hendry is a bad GM IMO and handed out some bad contracts, but Lee used his 10/5 rights for this, I am 99% sure he didn't have a clause in his contract

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
Hendry is a bad GM IMO and handed out some bad contracts, but Lee used his 10/5 rights for this, I am 99% sure he didn't have a clause in his contract

He has a full no trade clause.

5 years/$65M (2006-10)

signed extension with Cubs 4/06, replacing final year of previous deal, which was to pay $8M for 2006

06-10: $13M annually

no-trade clause

award bonus: $0.1M for All Star selection

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
He has a full no trade clause.

5 years/$65M (2006-10)

signed extension with Cubs 4/06, replacing final year of previous deal, which was to pay $8M for 2006

06-10: $13M annually

no-trade clause

award bonus: $0.1M for All Star selection

ah OK, wasn't 100% sure since Score was reporting it using his 10/5 rights instead of a negotiated clause

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
Astros whip up on the Cubs again. Fathom, will you finally concede the Cubs aren't sniffing October?

things are much better now that they didn't sweep Cards last weekend...that was probably their best shot of getting back into the race.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
Sure. Nobody saw them getting Haren.

A little different IMO. Haren is locked up for a few years and they were 8.5 games out as of yesterday. The package the Nats want apparently is going to be a good one. Worst case scenario with Haren is he's in your rotation for awhile even if they don't get close this year. Dunn is riskier because you could give up a good package and not really contend this year. Granted you can get the two picks if he walks, but a rental vs. a top of the rotation pitcher on a reasonable contract is different IMO.

Again, they could though, I haven't looked at a schedule but I imagine they have head to heads with Texas left and they could bank on the Texas August swoon

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
things are much better now that they didn't sweep Cards last weekend...that was probably their best shot of getting back into the race.

Do you honestly think if they swept the Cardinals that Hendry would reverse his course and go into buy mode instead of sell mode? This team had no intentions of reaching october baseball at all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Cubs lose 2 of 3 to Houston for the 4th time this season. If those damn schedule makers wouldn't have put the 5th & 6th place NL Central teams on the Cubs schedule, they would be a .500 team today.

The Cubs are a sleeping giant. Just you wait

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Do you honestly think if they swept the Cardinals that Hendry would reverse his course and go into buy mode instead of sell mode? This team had no intentions of reaching october baseball at all.

They wouldn't have gone into buyer mode, but they would have tried to keep the team together going into August if they were able to get the lead down to 5 or 6.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
They wouldn't have gone into buyer mode, but they would have tried to keep the team together going into August if they were able to get the lead down to 5 or 6.

No way. They are cutting costs right now, they would have to be within striking distance of first 3 weeks ago to even consider that

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)

They weren't going to get the lead down to 5 or 6 anyways because they suck, and bad teams don't do things like that. The Cubs being a buyer or seller didn't mean much anyways in the sense that they don't have the money to be a buyer, and they don't had the tradeable parts to be a seller really of anybody other than Lilly (unless they plan on eating a lot of money, and I'm not sure they can even afford to do that).

Edited by whitesoxfan101