Sox spring training

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Is there a Sox spring training thread with info about Camelback?? Hotels, bars, restaurants etc...

Feel free to delete this thread after pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks!

I got 2 links for you to get you started. The first is about Camelback, the second is westgate city center bars and restaurants and Jobing.com arena where the Blackhawks will be on Sat.3/20, the day afer Cubs/Sox game.

camelback

Westgate City Center

Speaking of Spring Training, I noticed something new on the schedule. On April 1st, the Sox are playing a game marked as "@ CHA", in Fort Mill, SC. So, its a sort of intrasquad game, but in South Carolina. Thought that was interesting, especially since the Charlotte roster wouldn't even be fully set by then, most likely.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I'm going for the first time this year...the 19th and 20th...already thinking of getting blackhawks tickets for the 20th...anyway, what's the best hotel to stay at? Any thoughts on a must see place or restaurant?
We didn't stay abput 15 20 minutes from camelback, just looked on the net for hotels got one that included breakfast for about 125 which included breakfast. The best entertainment for the buck is to drive to watch the practice games you'd be surprised who you'd meet. Most games are over by 3 something. There is plenty of good resteraunts , you'll see the same names as in illinois. Plus some local favorites. If you need to save some money go to the grocery store and buy snacks. Since most most room have fridges you can eat cheap and still see everything. Oh, Camelback is nice but it is sometimes as fun to see the sox at other parks while you are in AZ. We went to Camelback and 3 other parks. The outfield grass areas are cheap but you can't beat what the up close to the field and players. Players may even talk to you its the greatest.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I'm going for the first time this year...the 19th and 20th...already thinking of getting blackhawks tickets for the 20th...anyway, what's the best hotel to stay at? Any thoughts on a must see place or restaurant?

The Hotel depends on your price range. The White Sox team employes stay at Comfort Suites 1.5 mi. from CBR.

Last year I stayed at Hampton Inn and Suites. Real nice hotel 3.2 mi to CBR. Across the street is westgate valley where all the action is and the coyotes hockey rink. On the other side was NCAA college BB final 4 (or final 8). The hotel was mostly Dodgers minor league players and coaches. The rates went way up this year so I'm staying at the Renaissance.

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
The Hotel depends on your price range. The White Sox team employes stay at Comfort Suites 1.5 mi. from CBR.

Last year I stayed at Hampton Inn and Suites. Real nice hotel 3.2 mi to CBR. Across the street is westgate valley where all the action is and the coyotes hockey rink. On the other side was NCAA college BB final 4 (or final 8). The hotel was mostly Dodgers minor league players and coaches. The rates went way up this year so I'm staying at the Renaissance.

I stayed in exactly the same place, highly recommend it. And that Mexican restaurant on the corner when you get off the freeway - fantastic!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
I'm thinking about driving over since I am in Vegas, but would have to come out before the NCAA tourney starts or in between the 2nd and 3rd rounds...I guess I need to look at flights too...Glendale is close to Phoenix, correct?

Glendale owns Camelback Ranch and the land, but it stands in Phoenix. I've taken that drive a couple of times, it gets pretty boring and is a rough drive through the mountains. There is a lot of two lane roads & I liked the signs that said "watch for falling boulders" Ha Ha, I'd fly.

We stayed in Chandler at the Homestead Suites last spring- it was a bit of a drive but about half the cost and a great hot breakfast, pool and hot tub area. However this year we are splurging and staying at the Staybridge Suites at Westgate about 10 minutes from Camelback. Can't wait to get there 3/14! We picked the week first and it happens all the games are at Camelback but it was fun seeing other stadiums, too. We had a blast last year! IF you can, make the trip!

QUOTE (vasox @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
We stayed in Chandler at the Homestead Suites last spring- it was a bit of a drive but about half the cost and a great hot breakfast, pool and hot tub area. However this year we are splurging and staying at the Staybridge Suites at Westgate about 10 minutes from Camelback. Can't wait to get there 3/14! We picked the week first and it happens all the games are at Camelback but it was fun seeing other stadiums, too. We had a blast last year! IF you can, make the trip!

welcome to soxtalk!

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
Love the thread, just bought my tickets and booked the trip from March 28-31. Anyone have any advice on how practice times work and when for the minor league fields/teams at the complex?

They let you walk around very early - i showed up about 9 or 10 in the morning and just wandered around the spectacular practice fields watching the team workout. You're right there leaning against the backstop, you'll hear all the chatter and probably wind up chatting with a few of them yourself. Greg Walker has always been very cool to the fans.

Then just hang around until the game starts around 1pm. I also enjoyed walking over to the Dodger half and watching some of those guys.

In a nutshell, it is baseball bliss.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
They let you walk around very early - i showed up about 9 or 10 in the morning and just wandered around the spectacular practice fields watching the team workout. You're right there leaning against the backstop, you'll hear all the chatter and probably wind up chatting with a few of them yourself. Greg Walker has always been very cool to the fans.

Then just hang around until the game starts around 1pm. I also enjoyed walking over to the Dodger half and watching some of those guys.

In a nutshell, it is baseball bliss.

Thanks, that is easy, can't wait thanks for the advice. Spring Training is awesome for anyone thinking about attending.