McGwire Admits Steroid Use

flavum

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)

So I wonder how long it will take his balloon headed michael jackson impersonating co-hort from that magical home run chase to admit his guilt as well.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
If he has good enough numbers, he should be in the hall, cheater or not. Until recently, baseball did not care about cheating. You have admitted cheaters in the HOF, what does it really matter.

If Bonds doesnt make the hall, the HOF in my mind becomes irrelevant.

I take it you won't mind if your kids take steroids? I mean why shouldn't they? They could still make the HOF!

Bigsqwert,

If my "child" was over the age of 18, was supervised by medical professionals who advised him that taking substance X, will make him wealthy beyond his wildest imagination and that there would be minimal to no negative side effects, I would tell them to make their own choice.

The problem here is that this isnt about "health". This is about a witch hunt to "clean" baseball. And the only way to effectively do it, is to scapegoat all of the people who are currently out of baseball. I mean will A-Rod not be in the HOF, what about all the current players who have received no punishment or slaps on the wrist?

What about all the names on the "list" are they all off the HOF.

Its called being consistent, and its inconsistent to punish players who are not making MLB teams money, while letting those who currently are baseball cash cows continue to play with no ramification.

Everyone in MLB was happy when Big Mac "saved baseball" and made them rich. Now that hes done his part, they can destroy him and not care.

But yeah, lets just ban Bonds and McGwire because it makes us feel good at night.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
If he doesn't get in(Bonds), you are setting a precedent that A-Rod also cannot gain access to the HOF.

I wonder if it's possible to create a "Steroid era" section of the facility in Cooperstown. I don't know if you can simply deny that those years ever happened.

Maybe you could get McNamee to hand over Clemens's needles and put them next to McGwire's bat or something like that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
If he has good enough numbers, he should be in the hall, cheater or not. Until recently, baseball did not care about cheating. You have admitted cheaters in the HOF, what does it really matter.

If Bonds doesnt make the hall, the HOF in my mind becomes irrelevant.

The Hall of Fame is almost irrelevant because guys like Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, (shall I go on?) made it irrelevant.

You can make an argument that Clemens and Bonds had good enough careers before their PED use, but McGwire was able to get to 583 homers ONLY by juicing. He didn't even get to 2000 hits in his career.

Next to not allowing non-whites into MLB, this is the saddest chapter in baseball history. If you don't see it, I can't help you.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
I also would think its only fair to remove all pitchers who admittedly used illegal pitches, any player who corked their bat or was caught cheating, etc.

If you want to remove cheaters, remove cheaters.

If you want to create scapegoats, well the HOF is doing a great job.

WINNER

How did cheaters of today make the HOF irrelevant when it has been accepting cheaters for years?

Who cheated first:

Gaylord Perry

Big Mac

Barry Bonds

Which of them is in the HOF?

The saddest chapter in baseball is the current chapter where people have evolved this "holier than thou" attitude, and forget that the Hall is filed with cheaters from all eras, and that baseball needed a few scapegoats to cover up the fact that everyone was cheating.

Either ban all cheaters, or ban no cheaters.

Edited by Soxbadger