Castro is back.

justBLAZE

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
I don't think Ozzie wants Nix on the roster. He doesn't like him at all.

I really dont understand why. He's versatile, plays really good D in the infield, and was actually able to hit left handed pitching.

Personally, I would give him a lot of reps at 3B in spring training and see if he could be a solid backup there.

I really dont understand why we would keep an old relic in Vizquel over Nix.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
I really dont understand why. He's versatile, plays really good D in the infield, and was actually able to hit left handed pitching.

Personally, I would give him a lot of reps at 3B in spring training and see if he could be a solid backup there.

I really dont understand why we would keep an old relic in Vizquel over Nix.

Because Vizquel is a GG caliber defender at 2 or even 3 infield positions? Because Vizquel is an ideal teacher for Ramirez and Beckham? Because Nix' defense is OK at 2B and less than that at SS and 3B? Because nix isn't a very good hitter, and if we want another bench guy, we want a better bat?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Because Vizquel is a GG caliber defender at 2 or even 3 infield positions? Because Vizquel is an ideal teacher for Ramirez and Beckham? Because Nix' defense is OK at 2B and less than that at SS and 3B? Because nix isn't a very good hitter, and if we want another bench guy, we want a better bat?

First off, if Vizquel is needed to be a teacher for Ramirez and Beckham, what the hell are Joey Cora and Ozzie Guillen doing? Im pretty sure they played plenty of MI in their MLB careers, and they are being paid to guess what, COACH!

Second off, Vizquel is no longer a GG caliber defender, and is an awful hitter at this point in his career. Nix plays great D at 2B and showed to be solid at SS and 3B. Plus, Nix provides much more offensive potential than Vizquel off of the bench. The only thing that Vizquel provides is the fact he is known to be able to bunt, but thats sad that we need a designated bunter.

If we were talking about Vizquel from even 3-4 years ago, I'd agree with you. But at this point in his career, he'd be more useful to a team as coach and not as a player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
First off, if Vizquel is needed to be a teacher for Ramirez and Beckham, what the hell are Joey Cora and Ozzie Guillen doing? Im pretty sure they played plenty of MI in their MLB careers, and they are being paid to guess what, COACH!

Second off, Vizquel is no longer a GG caliber defender, and is an awful hitter at this point in his career. Nix plays great D at 2B and showed to be solid at SS and 3B. Plus, Nix provides much more offensive potential than Vizquel off of the bench. The only thing that Vizquel provides is the fact he is known to be able to bunt, but thats sad that we need a designated bunter.

If we were talking about Vizquel from even 3-4 years ago, I'd agree with you. But at this point in his career, he'd be more useful to a team as coach and not as a player.

Vizquel's UZR/150 numbers at SS the past three seasons: 32.6, 13.1, 20.6 (2009, 08, 07). As far as 3B is concerned, the position you are endorsing for Nix, Nix had a 4.9 in limited play in 2009. Vizquel in the same year? 56.1.

Vizquel is still a GG caliber defender at those positions.

At 2B, Nix is better, 14.1 last year. Vizquel has a career 0.3, making him average, in limited play.

As far as hitting goes, the offensive juggernaut that is Nix hit .224 last year, with a .716 OPS (which works more in his favor, as a power guy). Vizquel? .660, on a .266 average. And as far as Nix developing, keep in mind he struck out 64 times in 255 at bats - the equivalent of 150 times in a full season. Vizquel has never struck out more than 64 times in a full season, with 27 last year in 177 at bats, and still has speed (as Nix does), and can bunt with high effectiveness (Ozzie's favorite).

Vizquel is far and away the better fielder on the infield as a utility man, and pretty equivalent as a hitter. Plus all his added benefits as coach and mentor. I'll take Omar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
I don't think Ozzie wants Nix on the roster. He doesn't like him at all.

i'm inclined to agree. As much as Nix does right, he does a hell of a lot of things wrong. He has potential, but the qualities he has are not qualties that Ozzie values. That being said, if he doesn't make this team he will be claimed on waivers. And he could very well play a big role for a team like the Padres or the Astros.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Vizquel's UZR/150 numbers at SS the past three seasons: 32.6, 13.1, 20.6 (2009, 08, 07). As far as 3B is concerned, the position you are endorsing for Nix, Nix had a 4.9 in limited play in 2009. Vizquel in the same year? 56.1.

Vizquel is still a GG caliber defender at those positions.

At 2B, Nix is better, 14.1 last year. Vizquel has a career 0.3, making him average, in limited play.

As far as hitting goes, the offensive juggernaut that is Nix hit .224 last year, with a .716 OPS (which works more in his favor, as a power guy). Vizquel? .660, on a .266 average. And as far as Nix developing, keep in mind he struck out 64 times in 255 at bats - the equivalent of 150 times in a full season. Vizquel has never struck out more than 64 times in a full season, with 27 last year in 177 at bats, and still has speed (as Nix does), and can bunt with high effectiveness (Ozzie's favorite).

Vizquel is far and away the better fielder on the infield as a utility man, and pretty equivalent as a hitter. Plus all his added benefits as coach and mentor. I'll take Omar.

Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

I prefer the some-what young guy with some potential left who provides more offensive power off the bench and can mash lefties over the old-relic who is only going to get worse.

This price seems kind of high for a backup catcher no? Granted we are hoping he goes up to his career avgs. Man weve had bad luck with offensive catchers going to us as backups and becoming the worst offensive players in the history of the game.

sigh...i just cant stand all these reasonable deals going out to players that would completely upgrade a huge offensive hole for us and we cry poor.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

I prefer the some-what young guy with some potential left who provides more offensive power off the bench and can mash lefties over the old-relic who is only going to get worse.

For his career (minors) nix has hit .256/.325/.385 in 449 at-bats against lefties. He sure can mash 'em.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
This price seems kind of high for a backup catcher no? Granted we are hoping he goes up to his career avgs. Man weve had bad luck with offensive catchers going to us as backups and becoming the worst offensive players in the history of the game.

sigh...i just cant stand all these reasonable deals going out to players that would completely upgrade a huge offensive hole for us and we cry poor.

yea, matsui or vlad would look great in our lineup..too bad. at the same time, the sox(ozzie) must really not want a dh because i seriously doubt theyd have a problem adding 3-7 mil for a dh. if they wanted one, theyd have one by now

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)

Who has cried poor recently?

pretty much an automatic out- calls a good game and has a nice arm. For the most part he's the typical backup catcher. He also caught Buerhle's perfect game if you cant recall. I think this is a good move- it gives Flowers another year to work on his game calling and defense down in triple-a.

Thanks. I forgot about his role in the no no. Hopefully AJP will have another outstanding year and Castro will only catch 35-40 games.