Major earthquake strikes Haiti

Balta1701

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
I don't think I have ever heard that before. Did that happen with Northridge, for example? I guess we're so programmed in to the "first one" or the "big one" that we don't realize that the aftershocks are that numerous. I knew there always were some, but not to that extent. That's mind boggling, actually.

Here's a blurb I found from the SCEC.

The largest Northridge aftershock, by comparison, measured magnitude 5.9, and five other first-week aftershocks exceeded magnitude 5.

That's not a 100% every time rule, and there's plenty of variation quake-to-quake in the exact numbers, and some quakes (like very deep ones) will be unique and produce far fewer aftershocks, but if you're letting me say "To first order", then yeah, that's roughly correct.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
I don't think I have ever heard that before. Did that happen with Northridge, for example? I guess we're so programmed in to the "first one" or the "big one" that we don't realize that the aftershocks are that numerous. I knew there always were some, but not to that extent. That's mind boggling, actually.

In a morbid coincidence the History Channel was just running their story about the 1812 earthquake, and they believe there were actually aftershocks that were bigger than the original. They suffered through about six months of aftershocks, including ones estimated to be in the 6 magnitudes, long after the original event.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Huh?

I'm not on my PC so it's hard for me to put links up but in a nutshell, Robertson said it's the Haitians fault for striking a deal with the devil so they can gain independance from France, that's why all these disasters happen to them and Limbaugh said Obama will use Haiti for political gain to endear himself to dark and light skinned African-Americans...I'll post links when I get home.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
I'm not on my PC so it's hard for me to put links up but in a nutshell, Robertson said it's the Haitians fault for striking a deal with the devil so they can gain independance from France, that's why all these disasters happen to them and Limbaugh said Obama will use Haiti for political gain to endear himself to dark and light skinned African-Americans...I'll post links when I get home.

Go to the Dem thread if you want to discuss that. I posted them for you.

These two stories made me cry at work:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...hope-plead.html

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...-of-things.html

the scope itself can only be so horrifying, and numbers are so impersonal. What little money I have has just been donated, I dont have much, and i dont know if it'll help, but my God!, what else do you do? I just have a hard time grasping this, a country was, swallowed up. And knowing how things are built in Brazil, knowing what it would look like here, it makes me sick. And brazil is 1,000,000x more qualified to deal with something like this. Ugh.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 04:21 AM)
These two stories made me cry at work:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...hope-plead.html

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...-of-things.html

the scope itself can only be so horrifying, and numbers are so impersonal. What little money I have has just been donated, I dont have much, and i dont know if it'll help, but my God!, what else do you do? I just have a hard time grasping this, a country was, swallowed up. And knowing how things are built in Brazil, knowing what it would look like here, it makes me sick. And brazil is 1,000,000x more qualified to deal with something like this. Ugh.

Because Haiti was already such a disaster BEFORE the quake, not only did that result in so much higher a loss of life, but the consequences after will be so much worse. You now have a couple or three million people with, basically, no clean water supply, no shelter, and a food supply that will run out in a hurry. You have one airport with one long enough runway capable of handling these relief aircraft, so you have a serious supply bottleneck. Roads in Haiti between cities are not fit for normal trucking. Sanitation is near non-existent, in terms of sewers and other systems, in most of Haiti.

The coming weeks and months will probably kill as many people as the original event did. Its staggering how bad this is going to be. I hope, really seriously hope, that I am wrong, and the world finds a way to get them back on their feet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
Because Haiti was already such a disaster BEFORE the quake, not only did that result in so much higher a loss of life, but the consequences after will be so much worse. You now have a couple or three million people with, basically, no clean water supply, no shelter, and a food supply that will run out in a hurry. You have one airport with one long enough runway capable of handling these relief aircraft, so you have a serious supply bottleneck. Roads in Haiti between cities are not fit for normal trucking. Sanitation is near non-existent, in terms of sewers and other systems, in most of Haiti.

The coming weeks and months will probably kill as many people as the original event did. Its staggering how bad this is going to be. I hope, really seriously hope, that I am wrong, and the world finds a way to get them back on their feet.

One bit of good news is that this area is probably more developed than the area around Aceh was that was hammered in the 04 Sumatra/Andaman event. I doubt those areas even had airports. The roads there were going to be even worse. This area is also going to be closer to the home bases of the U.S. Navy, which has the type of equipment that could be really useful under the circumstances you outline (carriers with helicopters and landing craft.)

Another sad thing to note...Haiti was actually starting to slowly see growth in its economy. Last year it was one of only 2 Caribbean nations to show economic growth.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
The person in the truck approaching from the bottom of the screen was probably just thinking to them self, "Why the hell is this car not tur....OH MY GOD DID THAT BUILDING JUST COLLAPSE?!"

The guy on the bike was probably thinking "I can't get jiggy with dis shhet."

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)

I agree with you. Thanks for the info Balta. That was pretty interesting stuff. I feel smarter today :)

Link

MTV is joining the major broadcast networks and several cable channels for an all-star telethon for Haitian earthquake relief on Jan. 22.

A statement released by MTV Networks on Friday says "Hope for Haiti" will be shown at 8 p.m. Eastern time.

Networks showing the telethon are ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN, BET, the CW, HBO, MTV, VH1 and CMT. It will also be available internationally.

Haitian-born entertainer Wyclef Jean (ZHAHN') will helm the show from New York, and George Clooney will host the Los Angeles part. CNN's Anderson Cooper will be in Haiti.

MTV says there will be musical performances and celebrity appearances. No other talent was announced.