Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
^^that's why

I got the update a few days after I b****ed about it though. Android 4 kicks ass.

4.0 will be outdated in about two weeks. 4.1 will be announced this week and it'll be released on the GSM Galaxy Nexus in a month or two.

Google really needs to tell the OEM manufacturers to stop f***ing with their OS by putting TouchWiz, Sense, etc. on it. All it does is slow the system down and increase fragmentation. It'd be alright if those companies weren't slow as s*** at putting that extra UI on the OS, but that's not the case.

If Google really wants to get rid of fragmentation once and for all, they need to release a vanilla OS for almost every major device. The people at Cyanogenmod and AOKP do this, there's no reason Google can't work with the manufacturers and make it happen.

Edited by chw42

Rumor is that Google MIGHT be handling system software updates from now on (taking it away from the manufacturers/networks). However, the leaked information might just be referring to the Google Nexus table that will be revealed soon.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Rumor is that Google MIGHT be handling system software updates from now on (taking it away from the manufacturers/networks). However, the leaked information might just be referring to the Google Nexus table that will be revealed soon.

I'd love for that to happen, but I just don't see it. Google doesn't have the man-power to support every device out there. The only way would be for them to work with the manufacturers and I imagine they wouldn't be too thrilled about something like that.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm running Kaspersky and it's due for renewal tomorrow. Is that Microsoft prgram worth a damn?

Yes, it's worth a damn. It's not only free, but it's very good, and it does both virus/spyware in one. Who knows more about how to defend windows than Microsoft? They've made the thing damn near bulletproof all these years...so I'd trust their newer AV software in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
I'd love for that to happen, but I just don't see it. Google doesn't have the man-power to support every device out there. The only way would be for them to work with the manufacturers and I imagine they wouldn't be too thrilled about something like that.

Well, they bought motorola's mobility dept so I believe they have that vision at some point. A tighter integration between software and hardware would be beneficial to their customers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Well, they bought motorola's mobility dept so I believe they have that vision at some point. A tighter integration between software and hardware would be beneficial to their customers.

Motorola is still their own entity. The only way Google can make sure there is less fragmentation is to sell more Google Nexus devices. Putting an unlocked Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store was a great move, IMO. There are rumors that Google has 3 Nexus phones planned for the 4Q, which is good to see (this should mean multiple manufacturers, not just one).

It's hard for Google to bring everyone back on the same page when any manufacturer can use Android on their smartphones. It's one of the drawbacks of open source.

I go with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. Haven't had any problems.

I'm curious to see that rumored Nexus tablet.

Also, I'm hoping to get the Galaxy S 3 when I'm eligible next month. Too bad HTC didn't go with a removeable battery. And nothing else really seems to be in the near-future horizon...

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 04:30 AM)
I go with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. Haven't had any problems.

I'm curious to see that rumored Nexus tablet.

Also, I'm hoping to get the Galaxy S 3 when I'm eligible next month. Too bad HTC didn't go with a removeable battery. And nothing else really seems to be in the near-future horizon...

This is a bad trend. I know they do it in order to slim the devices down, but I run custom ROMs and they're a little less stable than stock (usually). I'd like the ability to force a restart by taking the battery out instead of waiting for it to die out when my system freezes. Moreover, I want to be able to switch the battery when it loses its capacity for holding a good charge (this happens after a year or two, depending on how much you abuse your battery) and if I'm not happy about my battery life, I can go third party or buy a first party extended battery. This and the lack of SD card slots on pretty much all the new phones (except the S 3) are bad trends to be going towards. It takes away a lot of the freedom from the user and forces you to lock in with two pretty important options (battery life and storage).

http://www.wsbt.com/business/chi-mac-users...0,6239547.story

Orbitz Worldwide Inc. has found that people who use Apple Inc's Mac computers spend as much as 30 percent more per night on hotels, so the online travel agency is starting to show them different, and sometimes costlier, travel options than Windows visitors see, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.

Orbitz executives said the online travel agency is experimenting with showing different hotel offers to Mac and PC visitors, but said the company isn't showing the same room to different users at different prices, the Journal reported. They also pointed out that users can opt to rank results by price.

Mac users are 40 percent more likely to book a four or five-star hotel than PC users and when Mac and PC users book the same hotel, Mac users tend to stay in more expensive rooms, the Journal reported.

In addition to the Orbitz website, the company owns other travel sites, including CheapTickets, ebookers, HotelClub and RatesToGo.

Apple and Orbitz officials could not be reached for comment outside of regular business hours.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Assholes.

And I will say, Orbitz IT dept is dumb as rocks.

I don't know why you'd let something like this leak out.

It's perfectly fine if you keep it in house and I think such a practice will probably help them make money, but now that it's public, it's very bad publicity and will probably lose them money.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't know why you'd let something like this leak out.

It's perfectly fine if you keep it in house and I think such a practice will probably help them make money, but now that it's public, it's very bad publicity and will probably lose them money.

Does anyone actually use Orbitz as their #1 travel site? I know they have business customers that have their own rates, but its literally not on my list, mostly because Ive worked with them and find them inept.

Are you guys actually reading the article?

I don't get the ire...they're just saying they understand that Mac users tend to spend more per night on their hotel rooms, so they show them nicer rooms...it's just them trying to tailor their product a bit more to their consumer.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Are you guys actually reading the article?

I don't get the ire...they're just saying they understand that Mac users tend to be more spend more per night on their hotel rooms, so they show them nicer rooms...it's just them trying to tailor their product a bit more to their consumer.

People don't like it when stuff is hidden from them that are lower in price, even if they will never even think of buying such services.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
People don't like it when stuff is hidden from them that are lower in price, even if they will never even think of buying such services.

They aren't hidden...they just aren't the ones immediately recommended....you can rank the rooms by price and see the exact same rooms.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
They aren't hidden...they just aren't the ones immediately recommended....you can rank the rooms by price and see the exact same rooms.

I read the title of the article yesterday which suggested they were hiding the lower priced offers.

I guess not.

Apple Inc., which has been embroiled in a bitter patent fight with Samsung Electronics Co., won a court order Tuesday blocking the sale of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer in the U.S.

The preliminary injunction will be in effect while the two technology giants litigate Apple's patent infringement claims.

"Although Samsung will necessarily be harmed by being forced to withdraw its product from the market before the merits can be determined after a full trial, the harm faced by Apple absent an injunction on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is greater," U.S. District Judge Lucy H. Koh in San Jose said in the eight-page ruling. "Apple's interest in enforcing its patent rights is particularly strong because it has presented a strong case on the merits."

Link

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
If you missed the Google Glass demo at Google IO, you missed one of the coolest things ever.

I stopped watching after their Android stuff. Jelly Bean isn't a huge update, but some of the changes they're bringing are pretty nice. Better UI responsiveness (60 FPS throughout), even better notifications (now expandable with options), and new Google search.

Android 4.1 will be pushed onto the devices Google gave out today at I/O. This means that there will be custom ROMs of this thing for the Galaxy Nexus by the end of the week.

I love the development community for the Nexus.

Also, offline Google Maps = awesome. For 70 MB I can store the entire map of Chicago and the suburbs.

Edited by chw42

In early august, I need to buy a new phone since I recently smashed mine (I am currently using a flip phone). I am debating between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3. I am on T-Mobile and I'll have to pay full price. The Galaxy S3 would be a down payment ($275 i think) and the rest spread out over 20 months.

ANy thoughts? I think the Nexus might be best since it's only $350 plus tax while the S3 will be full price over the course of 20 months. Also, the Nexus is pure Google and more likely to get upgraded more often.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
In early august, I need to buy a new phone since I recently smashed mine (I am currently using a flip phone). I am debating between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3. I am on T-Mobile and I'll have to pay full price. The Galaxy S3 would be a down payment ($275 i think) and the rest spread out over 20 months.

ANy thoughts? I think the Nexus might be best since it's only $350 plus tax while the S3 will be full price over the course of 20 months. Also, the Nexus is pure Google and more likely to get upgraded more often.

lol, so it's $600 Galaxy S III vs. $350 Galaxy Nexus.

I don't think that's even a debate, get the Nexus.

The hardware isn't that much inferior and it has great developer support (example: you can get Android 4.1 by tomorrow if somebody who got a phone from Google I/O uploads it tonight).