Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Ill be over there next week ironically enough. We just hired one of your ex-IT staff.

I'll be out Wed-Fri, but if you're in before that at the building let me know, I'll come say hi.

Hope he/she works out for you!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Yes...this. Serves as a screen protector when not in use, and uses the built in magnets on the iPad 2/3 to hold it...it's really awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1E...ref=ent_fb_link

It's not cheap, but in the keyboard for iPad arena, it's by far the best there is...and lasts weeks on one charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultrathin-K...ogictech%20ipad

I ended up getting this, I'm actually typing on it right now. The keyboard feels great and the magnets are a great touch. Although I do feel that they're actually not strong enough when it's folded. The iPad slides around at times. The bottom is also super scratch-prone and will slide around on you unless you get some kind of a padding or skin (I got iCarbons for the keyboard case, yeah...$25 for a skin to protect your case that protects your iPad...haha).

Not sure if it's worth $100 since it's not as nice as the keystone/keyboard docks HP and Asus have with their tablets, but it's the best you can get for the iPad.

Anybody with a jailbroken iPad here?

The lack of themes and appropriate size icons for the iPad is kind of disappointing.

You'd think theme makers would take the opportunity to have an excuse to charge you for re-sized icons. But no...they're all iPhone retina display sized, twice as big as iPad 1 and 2 icon resolution. I'm not really into resizing all of the icons myself either.

Anybody got a good source besides Macthemes?

Replaced my stolen 16 GB Zune HD with a 32 GB Zune HD bundle that came w/ wall charger, TV dock, HDMI cable, AV cables, and remote control for $150 used off Craigslist. Unreal that those things sell for over $400 brand new now. I even saw a 16gb 1st gen Zune that was selling for $200+ online brand new. Prices have skyrocketed since production seized.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 03:39 AM)
Replaced my stolen 16 GB Zune HD with a 32 GB Zune HD bundle that came w/ wall charger, TV dock, HDMI cable, AV cables, and remote control for $150 used off Craigslist. Unreal that those things sell for over $400 brand new now. I even saw a 16gb 1st gen Zune that was selling for $200+ online brand new. Prices have skyrocketed since production seized.

I think it might be time to move on from Zunes my friend.

Sony's released a few Android-powered Walkmans with Tegra 2 processors. You probably should have taken a look at those. Samsung also sells Galaxy players for nearly the same price you got your used Zune. Both are probably better and more modern alternatives.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)

Sony's released a few Android-powered Walkmans with Tegra 2 processors. You probably should have taken a look at those. Samsung also sells Galaxy players for nearly the same price you got your used Zune. Both are probably better and more modern alternatives.

Or you could just admit that iPods are by far the best device on the market ;)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)

I looked in to other options, but the Zune interface is so great and easy to use, the software is beautiful, the size is nice and small, and I already had the cords from it, I just decided to go back to it. I considered those new Walkmans, but didn't pull the trigger on them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Or you could just admit that iPods are by far the best device on the market ;)

I'm never going back to 3.5 inch screens.

Apple even thinks they're outdated, after all, the iPhone 5 is going to have a 4.08 inch screen. Playing catchup.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
I'm never going back to 3.5 inch screens.

Apple even thinks they're outdated, after all, the iPhone 5 is going to have a 4.08 inch screen. Playing catchup.

Screen size has nothing to do with playing catchup. Resolution or pixel density might, but not size, that's merely a preference. Some people do not want those monster screens in small portables. I think 4" is a sweet spot, 4.2" is pushing the "jump the shark" area, and anything bigger actually did jump it, that's a tablet, not a pocket portable at that point, only a gimped tablet.

For a music player? I don't really care as much about the screen size. The majority of the time it'll be plugged into a speaker or in my pocket or strapped to my arm. It needs to have menus that allow me to navigate through hundreds or artists or albums quickly, and it needs to be able to take a beating.

This isn't a phone.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
For a music player? I don't really care as much about the screen size. The majority of the time it'll be plugged into a speaker or in my pocket or strapped to my arm. It needs to have menus that allow me to navigate through hundreds or artists or albums quickly, and it needs to be able to take a beating.

This isn't a phone.

iPod touchs are horrible at taking beatings. Mine is scratched to hell (especially the back).

When I got my iPod touch, I didn't use it just as music player. Music players these days (outside of the classic iPod and iPod Mini) are meant to do a lot more. They're basically smartphones without the phone functionality.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
Screen size has nothing to do with playing catchup. Resolution or pixel density might, but not size, that's merely a preference. Some people do not want those monster screens in small portables. I think 4" is a sweet spot, 4.2" is pushing the "jump the shark" area, and anything bigger actually did jump it, that's a tablet, not a pocket portable at that point, only a gimped tablet.

Apple once thought that everybody preferred small screens. They were clearly wrong.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
iPod touchs are horrible at taking beatings. Mine is scratched to hell (especially the back).

When I got my iPod touch, I didn't use it just as music player. Music players these days (outside of the classic iPod and iPod Mini) are meant to do a lot more. They're basically smartphones without the phone functionality.

Ahh, well that's fair. I've got a classic, probably because I already have an iPhone.

The iTouch was created for people who didn't want to switch over to AT&T.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Apple once thought that everybody preferred small screens. They were clearly wrong.

Apples design philosophy on phones is one handed operation, not necessarily that people prefer small screens. There does come a point where a phone is too big for 1 handed operation regardless of what Fandroid users claim. They are merely the mirror equilivant of Apple fanboys that claim Apple has no room for improvement because they're perfect, when they're obviously not.

For example, how long have we heard from Android users how smooth their phone experience was...when it really wasnt? To the tune of Google actually launching and highlighting "project butter" in their latest version? If it was already smooth and buttery...such an initiative wouldnt have been necessary, and surely not necessary to highlight as a big deal. It's because it wasn't smooth, and Google knew it regardless of Fandroid claims. And I'm not talking about the tinkerers that run Cyanogen, because that actually WAS fast/smooth as it should have been.

I've long held the opinion that the iPhone should've been bumped up to the 4-4.2" range...but not bigger. I actually don't want to have to adjust my hand position in order to reach certain areas of the screen because it's so large.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Eh maybe, I dont want my iphone to be any bigger. I want to actually put my phone in my pocket.

Right, I like how fast EVO is and would love to try it out, but I don't want a palm pilot in my pocket all day. Same with the windows phone. It's fine if you have a purse, but, I have only pockets.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Right, I like how fast EVO is and would love to try it out, but I don't want a palm pilot in my pocket all day. Same with the windows phone. It's fine if you have a purse, but, I have only pockets.

Any minute now you'll receive responses to this that it fits fine in your pocket.

I've had one in my pocket...does it fit? Yes. Does it fit comfortably where you can sit/kneel/stand, without having to move or adjust it? No. It's flat out uncomfortable unless you're wearing 2 gallon pockets.

Personally, I find the iPhone a little small...but I do not want it to be much larger than it is. I'd be fine with 4.0". I've handled plenty of 4.5" inch Android phones and I have no interest in a phone that large.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Any minute now you'll receive responses to this that it fits fine in your pocket.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Maybe you guys just have small hands and pockets. I never notice my Droid X2 in my pocket.

I told you.

Yes, you do notice your droid x2 in your pocket...whether you want to admit it or not. I notice my iPhone in my pocket and it's way smaller than your droid x2...so to claim you don't notice it's there is an outright lie...otherwise you'd be looking to see if you lost your phone every 3 seconds. :P

The issue isn't whether you notice it or not...it's how much you notice it. And if you work in any sort of profession where you cant wear baggy shorts/carpenter jeans to work everyday, you'd sure as hell notice it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
Well, current fashion trends have men wearing much more form-fitting pants than in past years.

Maybe you're just unfashionable.

;)

Also this.

Baggy clothing isn't very modern...unless you're in a gang, anyway.

To be fair, my phone sits on my computer plugged into the USB charger while I'm at work. But I honestly don't notice it when I'm out-and-about. How often are you consciously aware of your wallet in your pocket, or your car keys?

My clothes aren't baggy, either.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
To be fair, my phone sits on my computer plugged into the USB charger while I'm at work. But I honestly don't notice it when I'm out-and-about. How often are you consciously aware of your wallet in your pocket, or your car keys?

My clothes aren't baggy, either.

Always. Or I'd be in a state of panic 100% of the time.