Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
There are numerous apps that take care of custom notifications.

http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=notifications

it doenst even have to be custom. I just need to know that it will make some kind of noise if an alert is set. I know i iPod touch does, but it isnt very loud

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Quick Android question:

My wife REALLY needs a PDA/Smartphone with a built in calendar that will beep and/or vibrate at certain times of the day to reminder her to do things. My first thought was a Droid (probably a Droid Pro). Here's my question: If you set a calendar event to notify you, can you set the phone to ring a certain tone when set to ring or vibrate when the phone is on vibrate?

It does this automatically. I have my calendar linked to my work Outlook calendar and it goes off 15 minutes prior to an event (default). You can change all of those options though, including ringtone and notification timing.

That's just using the stock Android calendar.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
It does this automatically. I have my calendar linked to my work Outlook calendar and it goes off 15 minutes prior to an event (default). You can change all of those options though, including ringtone and notification timing.

That's just using the stock Android calendar.

sweet. thanks.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
yep. I have issues with their data plan pricing. It's partially that I dont have a lot of room in my budget.

You can't get work to cover at least part of the bill? Say it's used for some of your work, like checking emails and stuff while out of the office.

My Pioneer receiver decided to stop working last night. Was watching TV, switched over to play some Xbox and no sound. Switched back to TV to check, everything ok. Switched to Xbox, worked for a few minutes and then it shut off. Will not turn back on at all (tried different outlets, disconnected everything, checked the internal fuse). Of course, it's about two months out of warranty.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
My Pioneer receiver decided to stop working last night. Was watching TV, switched over to play some Xbox and no sound. Switched back to TV to check, everything ok. Switched to Xbox, worked for a few minutes and then it shut off. Will not turn back on at all (tried different outlets, disconnected everything, checked the internal fuse). Of course, it's about two months out of warranty.

Sounds like the power source burned. It shouldnt cost much to fix, but that sucks.

And Boxee Box just got here, hooking it up tonight!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Sounds like the power source burned. It shouldnt cost much to fix, but that sucks.

And Boxee Box just got here, hooking it up tonight!!!

there's an audio repair shop right around the corner, I dropped it off there. My technical skills stopped after checking the internal fuse.

Anybody buy their phone through Amazon wireless? The prices can't be beat. Evo is $99($199 in store), Epic is $99($249 in store), every other phone they have for Sprint is .01. I called and spoke with them and asked if there are phone issues, does it have to be shipped back or can you take it to the store. She said you would take it to a Sprint store. Basically the only time you will send it back to them is if you're cancelling within 30 days or want to switch phones within 30 days. They also are waving activation fees Nov 23rd - Nov 30th. I called Sprint store and asked him if they would price match and he said no. I asked him what benefit do I have in buying from your store over Amazon and all he had was...well if there's a problem with the phone in the first 30 days and you have to send it back, you might be without a phone for a week. With the holidays coming up, you don't want that. Am I missing something here? I'm saving $150 bucks if I get the epic and I can get my wife a lower end smart phone for .01 I'm just thinking there has to be a catch somewhere. Any experience from anyone here?

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Anybody buy their phone through Amazon wireless? The prices can't be beat. Evo is $99($199 in store), Epic is $99($249 in store), every other phone they have for Sprint is .01. I called and spoke with them and asked if there are phone issues, does it have to be shipped back or can you take it to the store. She said you would take it to a Sprint store. Basically the only time you will send it back to them is if you're cancelling within 30 days or want to switch phones within 30 days. They also are waving activation fees Nov 23rd - Nov 30th. I called Sprint store and asked him if they would price match and he said no. I asked him what benefit do I have in buying from your store over Amazon and all he had was...well if there's a problem with the phone in the first 30 days and you have to send it back, you might be without a phone for a week. With the holidays coming up, you don't want that. Am I missing something here? I'm saving $150 bucks if I get the epic and I can get my wife a lower end smart phone for .01 I'm just thinking there has to be a catch somewhere. Any experience from anyone here?

Droid Incredible free plus a $25 Dell gift card.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
I dunno but that harmonica video had me spit out my drink.

Hah, I just went back and watched that one...I had stopped previously after the coffee brewer and shaver...

You can play along with preset beats, or you can go freestyle!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)

EVO $49, EPIC 89 with new 2-yr contract at Walmart online or store

At walmart, Sprint phone EVO is $149 - $100 Walmart gift card = $49

EPIC is $189 - $100 Walmart gift card = $89

requires new 2- year contract.

Promotion ends 11:59 pm November 25, 2010

Dam. So I'm gettin the EVO for $49...and my wife's intercept is $19.99 and also comes with 100 gift card...so they're paying you $80 for that phone. There is a $25 coupon code and free activation on both phones. So I'm billed right now $144.98 but receiving $200.00 in gift cards. so basically they are paying me $55.02 to buy the phones there.