Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, dude? Did I really have to say, "never vote for non-veterans, cheaters or liberals"? C'mon, you're being ridiculous. I'm telling you what I believe and if you want to keep referring to a past comment of mine where I didn't elaborate entirely on my standards for politicians, then whatever.

Wow, I didn't sign onto the site for a few days and somehow Infantry has made it out that my dislike of certain candidates is purely partisan. This despite the fact that I stated quite clearly in my post that I consider a number of people in the GOP field to NOT be crazy. Ron Paul is probably the furthest right candidate, and I while I think his ideas are unrealistic, I don't think he's crazy. Not sure how I can make that clearer.

And how did I get lumped in as a liberal anyway? Ask Balta, Sqwert or StrangeSox if they'd label me as a liberal. I've got views that range from far right to far left, because I don't believe my stands should be dictated by a party. I stand for what I think is right on any given issue. I suppose that makes me a moderate, or a centrist, depending on your definition. But a liberal? :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Wow, I didn't sign onto the site for a few days and somehow Infantry has made it out that my dislike of certain candidates is purely partisan. This despite the fact that I stated quite clearly in my post that I consider a number of people in the GOP field to NOT be crazy. Ron Paul is probably the furthest right candidate, and I while I think his ideas are unrealistic, I don't think he's crazy. Not sure how I can make that clearer.

And how did I get lumped in as a liberal anyway? Ask Balta, Sqwert or StrangeSox if they'd label me as a liberal. I've got views that range from far right to far left, because I don't believe my stands should be dictated by a party. I stand for what I think is right on any given issue. I suppose that makes me a moderate, or a centrist, depending on your definition. But a liberal? :lolhitting

Paul is not a right winger. He is a libertarian. Big difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Paul is not a right winger. He is a libertarian. Big difference.

Sort of. Libertarian is definitely different than "right wing of current GOP", yes. But on the overall spectrum, he's right. In any case, he's not even a true libertarian, as he's espoused some support of various social issues from the right wing (abortion comes to mind).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Sort of. Libertarian is definitely different than "right wing of current GOP", yes. But on the overall spectrum, he's right. In any case, he's not even a true libertarian, as he's espoused some support of various social issues from the right wing (abortion comes to mind).

I don't know that he really believes that stuff. Most of that came about as he tried to get the attention of the GOP. In general he is very into state and individual rights, versus federal rights.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I don't know that he really believes that stuff. Most of that came about as he tried to get the attention of the GOP. In general he is very into state and individual rights, versus federal rights.

He's definitely a lot closer to Libertarian than most anyone I can think of currently running, or in Congress.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)

He's a staunch social conservative on a variety of issues and introduced a bill to define life as beginning at conception.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Chris Christie is not running.

And this made me laugh:

@OsamaInHell - Chris Christie and I have a lot in common: I hate Obama, he hates Obama, I attacked NYC in 2001, he attacked NYC at the end of Ghostbusters

I don't know why anyone is eager for Christie to run, he's said plenty of things that virtually guarantee he'd be rejected by the tea party.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
State by state polling shows Herman Cain surging into the lead in West Virginia, North Carolina, and Nebraska, Rick Perry crashing, and Newt Gingrich surging into second or tied with Mittens for 2nd.

This is a very fickle polling season so far.

Hate to agree with Palin, but Cain is the flavor of the month. Once people get an idea of how ludicrous his ideas actually are, and how his words are going to be very easily twisted because of the nature of his fiery speeches, he'll fade fast.

Gingrich though, I think he might have staying power.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Hate to agree with Palin, but Cain is the flavor of the month. Once people get an idea of how ludicrous his ideas actually are, and how his words are going to be very easily twisted because of the nature of his fiery speeches, he'll fade fast.

He's already taking a beating from the right-wingers for expressing concern over Perry's "n*****head" thing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
He's already taking a beating from the right-wingers for expressing concern over Perry's "n*****head" thing.

Gingrich says a lot of stuff that won't help. But he has a unique paring of policy record... he's got a lot of conservative policy points to provide that the right will like, but he also has a history of getting things done with a Dem Prez which appeals to moderates. He's also a known name, and that tends to carry weight with old school GOP'ers. The keys for him are, can he get the funds raised, and can he avoid a Biden-esque verbal screw-up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Gingrich says a lot of stuff that won't help. But he has a unique paring of policy record... he's got a lot of conservative policy points to provide that the right will like, but he also has a history of getting things done with a Dem Prez which appeals to moderates. He's also a known name, and that tends to carry weight with old school GOP'ers. The keys for him are, can he get the funds raised, and can he avoid a Biden-esque verbal screw-up.

I was referring to Cain, who had the audacity to criticize Perry over this, and is now just another black race-card playing politician.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)

He also has this problem.

politiciansmasots13.jpg

(No that's not necessarily a problem. I just wanted to add in that picture.)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
The swear filter here isn't very intelligent, but I honestly wasn't trying to circumvent it there.

I know...usually the Swear filter still gets any combined words like that, s***head, but that means we don't have that word filtered. Just surprising. Oh well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
State by state polling shows Herman Cain surging into the lead in West Virginia, North Carolina, and Nebraska, Rick Perry crashing, and Newt Gingrich surging into second or tied with Mittens for 2nd.

This is a very fickle polling season so far.

Cain is gaining a lot of momentum.