Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

Nevada schedules their caucuses on Jan. 14, could possibly push Iowa into December.

New Hampshire law states that its first-in-the-nation primary must be held at least eight days before every state but Iowa, while Iowa’s state law says its first-in-the-nation caucuses must be held seven days before any other contest.

If Nevada sticks with Jan. 14, and those two states follow the letter of the law, Iowa would have to hold its caucuses in December, while New Hampshire, which typically holds its primary on a Tuesday, would go no later than Jan. 3.

Those laws haven’t always proven an impediment though; in 2008, Iowa held its caucuses just five days before New Hampshire.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
I mean the right who gave her a TV show on their biggest media voice. Here's a poll from May with her a tick behind Romney:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147806/romney-p...field-2012.aspx

A poll where she has 15%. Boy that really captures the people doesn't it! Ron Paul is right behind her, why didn't he get the same sort of media attention?

Two related but seperate thoughts...

1. Undoubtedly the MSM, and the political left, helped keep Palin more in the forefront. But those effects pale in comparison to the effect she added herself by being such a self-designed character. And damn right there was a part of the GOP who helped her along too. Just watch as we wait for her endorsement, which all the candidates will be slobbering over.

2. This primary and caucus oneupsmanship (is that one word?) is so stupid. This could be easily solved. Split the states into, say, 8 primary dates. One every three weeks or so, from January through June. Which states fall into which wave is a rotation that changes each cycle. for the first year, give the historically first states (IA, NH, NV, FL, and a couple others) the January wave in the first year, then that "team" of states moves back to the Feb primary the next cycle, then March, etc. There is no need for all this absurdity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
They have spent the last four years following her around like a puppy because "she could be President", when there was never a reality of that happening. Singlehandedly they kept her as relevant, just so they could use her as a threat over what could happen. It was purely a fear tactic.

Must have been the left wing conspiracy that bought her a campaign bus.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
A poll where she has 15%. Boy that really captures the people doesn't it! Ron Paul is right behind her, why didn't he get the same sort of media attention?

Rick Perry is at 16%. If he's top tier, I would think 15% puts her right in the thick of it. The 20 point deficit in a general election makes her a lot less serious of a candidate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Two related but seperate thoughts...

1. Undoubtedly the MSM, and the political left, helped keep Palin more in the forefront. But those effects pale in comparison to the effect she added herself by being such a self-designed character. And damn right there was a part of the GOP who helped her along too. Just watch as we wait for her endorsement, which all the candidates will be slobbering over.

2. This primary and caucus oneupsmanship (is that one word?) is so stupid. This could be easily solved. Split the states into, say, 8 primary dates. One every three weeks or so, from January through June. Which states fall into which wave is a rotation that changes each cycle. for the first year, give the historically first states (IA, NH, NV, FL, and a couple others) the January wave in the first year, then that "team" of states moves back to the Feb primary the next cycle, then March, etc. There is no need for all this absurdity.

It doesn't matter what kind of character she is, if no one pays attention, she goes away. It happens to Ron Paul every four years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
It doesn't matter what kind of character she is, if no one pays attention, she goes away. It happens to Ron Paul every four years.

Exactly. So why does the right keep doing that?

The GOP put her up on a pedestal, thus creating the monster. She then jumped off from that point and kept it going with her books, bus tours, etc.

Seriously, it is bizarre to me you think she is a creation of the left. That simply makes no sense.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)

Any system you can possibly imagine or propose would work better than this stupid mess where 2 totally unrepresentative states are given inordinate power for no obviously good reason. As long as both parties and the media are willing to accept that mistake, then there will be other states trying to leapfrog.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Any system you can possibly imagine or propose would work better than this stupid mess where 2 totally unrepresentative states are given inordinate power for no obviously good reason. As long as both parties and the media are willing to accept that mistake, then there will be other states trying to leapfrog.

Hell gets colder, as I agree with you here.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
Hell gets colder, as I agree with you here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)

Haters :D

Anyone watch last night's debate? Caught parts of it. Man is Perry terrible, that guy is just going to continue plummeting.

While I think Herman Cain is completely out of his league, I wonder if his 9-9-9 stuff might keep him in the race for a while.

Romney has really solidifed himself as the guy to beat, again. I don't see anyone in this field having much of a chance to beat him, unless a bunch of people drop out and the far-right can prop up one, ultra-conservative candidate against him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
Anyone watch last night's debate? Caught parts of it. Man is Perry terrible, that guy is just going to continue plummeting.

While I think Herman Cain is completely out of his league, I wonder if his 9-9-9 stuff might keep him in the race for a while.

Romney has really solidifed himself as the guy to beat, again. I don't see anyone in this field having much of a chance to beat him, unless a bunch of people drop out and the far-right can prop up one, ultra-conservative candidate against him.

Perry needs to get away from debates and get on the stump, that is where he really shines. Plus as soon as the TV ads start in the primary states, he'll rebound.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)

Romney is definitely the guy to beat. He can close it out soon if he plays his cards right.

The question is, will the Republicans try and buy him on the 9-9-9 plan. If you make it absurd hes probably dead in the water, but if you make it seem at all legitimate, its catchy and in a crowded field its something people will remember.

I dont think hed do well in a national election, he is not polished enough. Democrats may be apathetic to a Romney, but Cain is going to rile people up.