Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
I think you're wrong. Rick Perry felt the same way, and well - look how that's turning out.

Mitch Daniels isn't a complete idiot though. Instead of being all flash and no substance, he is the exact opposite. In this field of dreams, that would play pretty well.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
Mitch Daniels isn't a complete idiot though. Instead of being all flash and no substance, he is the exact opposite. In this field of dreams, that would play pretty well.

Everything he said that wasn't bluster would immediately get turned against him though. Look how well having to defend Texas having allowed children of "Illegals" to go to school has played for Perry - arguably did more damage to him than his debate performances. And it doesn't take another candidate having to officially bring up a statement...casually leaking things on background to reporters works just fine as a way to make "Mitch Daniels endorsed this tax increase to pay for health care" as the subject of the week.

Just for the record, I'm not assuming that these allegations are true by posting this, just noting it because it is clearly campaign newsworthy.

During Herman Cain’s tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, at least two female employees complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain, ultimately leaving their jobs at the trade group, multiple sources confirm to POLITICO.

The women complained of sexually suggestive behavior by Cain that made them angry and uncomfortable, the sources said, and they signed agreements with the restaurant group that gave them financial payouts to leave the association. The agreements also included language that bars the women from talking about their departures.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/...l#ixzz1cMigO4Jt

Cain's campaign was quick to respond.

"Since Washington establishment critics haven't had much luck in attacking Mr. Cain's ideas to fix a bad economy and create jobs, they are trying to attack him in any way they can," said J.D. Gordon, Cain's campaign vice president.

"Dredging up thinly sourced allegations stemming from Mr. Cain's tenure as the Chief Executive Officer at the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, political trade press are now casting aspersions on his character and spreading rumors that never stood up to the facts," Gordon said in a statement.

In a tense sidewalk encounter Sunday morning outside the Washington bureau of CBS News -- where the Republican contender had just completed an interview on "Face the Nation" -- Cain evaded a series of questions about sexual harassment allegations.

Cain said he has "had thousands of people working for me" at different businesses over the years and could not comment "until I see some facts or some concrete evidence." His campaign staff was given the name of one woman who complained last week, and it was repeated to Cain on Sunday. He responded, "I am not going to comment on that."

He was then asked, "Have you ever been accused, sir, in your life of harassment by a woman?"

He breathed audibly, glared at the reporter and stayed silent for several seconds. After the question was repeated three times, he responded by asking the reporter, "Have you ever been accused of sexual harassment?"

That isn't a denial.

Herman Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon made an early attempt on Fox News last night to respond to POLITICO's story describing past allegations against Cain of inappropriate behavior toward female employees.

It didn't go so well, and ended with Fox host Geraldo Rivera warning Gordon that his refusal to say categorically whether women had been given financial settlements in response to complaints about Cain was a "recipe for disaster."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/...l#ixzz1cMl1UUBF

Also not a denial.

Eventually, the AP got an actual denial...but it took nearly a full day of spinning/blaming the liberal media/being called out by Geraldo for not issuing a denial for them to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Just for the record, I'm not assuming that these allegations are true by posting this, just noting it because it is clearly campaign newsworthy.

When your whole campaign is about having the character to be President, this could be a deathblow. It's not like he has foreign policy knowhow to fall back on. Or any kind of actual knowhow.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
When your whole campaign is about having the character to be President, this could be a deathblow. It's not like he has foreign policy knowhow to fall back on. Or any kind of actual knowhow.

Blaming this on the media can certainly work. It worked for governor a**-grabber in California. The LA Times ran that same type of story a week before the election, and they still won by saying it was a liberal media smear.

Turned out of course he wasn't just a womanizer, he'd had a child with a housekeeper about 2 years beforehand, so the LAT was right on track...but they were the liberal media, and that attack worked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Blaming this on the media can certainly work. It worked for governor a**-grabber in California. The LA Times ran that same type of story a week before the election, and they still won by saying it was a liberal media smear.

Turned out of course he wasn't just a womanizer, he'd had a child with a housekeeper about 2 years beforehand, so the LAT was right on track...but they were the liberal media, and that attack worked.

Yeah, but then again - an actor who has always been known as a womanizer of sorts isn't going to be as big of an effect. There are a whole lot of different mechanics that make Cain's situation different.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Governor Perry appears to have made something of a fairly bizarre speech performance in New Hampshire last Friday. Here's some video. It's also not just the editing...one of the attendees, Manchester NH's Mayor, commented that "It was different".

What the...

Drunk is definitely one possibility. I also wonder, if as his campaign is flagging, he's looking to try for a different image to get more attention. Trying to go a little more off the cuff, be more Cain-like.

So yeah, NBC News has confirmed that there was a settlement on at least one of the two allegations.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/...cash-settlement

NBC News has confirmed that one woman received a settlement from the National Restaurant Association after complaining about inappropriate sexual conduct by Herman Cain.

NBC News is not disclosing the name of the woman nor characterizing who she is.

Cain denied the allegations, saying on FOX this morning he was "falsely accused." "I have never sexually harassed anyone, anyone," he said, "and absolutely, these are false accusations."

Despite being the chief executive officer of the National Restaurant Association, he said he was unaware of any settlement with the accusers, though he didn't deny it.

"If the restaurant association did a settlement, I wasn't even aware of it," he claimed, "and I hope it wasn't for much. If there was a settlement, it was handled by some of the other officers at the restaurant association."

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
So yeah, NBC News has confirmed that there was a settlement on at least one of the two allegations.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/...cash-settlement

doesn't me he did anything. most companies settle these things, even if they are false.

but, of course, he certainly could have done something.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
doesn't me he did anything. most companies settle these things, even if they are false.

but, of course, he certainly could have done something.

One thing it does mean is that he was actually accused of it at the time. He can't sit there and say the accusations never happened. He can say they were false, but he can't say that the media is just making stuff up.

He'll try though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
One thing it does mean is that he was actually accused of it at the time. He can't sit there and say the accusations never happened. He can say they were false, but he can't say that the media is just making stuff up.

He'll try though.

he is saying that he was accused, and the accusations were false.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/10/...-smear-campaign

Herman Cain vehemently denied allegations of inappropriate behavior on Monday, telling Fox News that he was falsely accused while head of the National Restaurant Association more than a decade ago.

"I have never sexually harassed anyone," Cain said. "I was falsely accused while I was at the National Restaurant Association -- and I say 'falsely' because it turned out, after the investigation, to be baseless."

And now he's saying he was aware of the financial settlement after all

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com...-led-sex-charge

Cain also offered new information about the settlement of the case. Politico, which broke the sexual harassment allegation story, said that the woman received a money settlement "in the five-figure range." When van Susteren asked about that, Cain said, "My general counsel said this started out where she and her lawyer were demanding a huge financial settlement…I don't remember a number…But then he said because there was no basis for this, we ended up settling for what would have been a termination settlement." When van Susteren asked how much money was involved, Cain said. "Maybe three months' salary. I don't remember. It might have been two months. I do remember my general counsel saying we didn't pay all of the money they demanded."

Sorry, I don't buy this. If it was baseless and you settled to make it go away, why wouldn't you just say that in the first place? To say it was a lie less than 24 hours before you admit it wasn't is not a good sign.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
i wonder if Romney or Perry found out about this with some opposition research and leaked it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Actually I was thinking Romney, Perry, or one of the women accusers involved. Then I figured if it was one of the accusers, they may have tried negotiating with the campaign first.

The question becomes how they knew to get started. Almost always they get tipped off by someone. There just isn't the budgets anymore to do a full scale hunt for anything. Remember Woodward and Bertsein had Deep Throat Mark Felt

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
The question becomes how they knew to get started. Almost always they get tipped off by someone. There just isn't the budgets anymore to do a full scale hunt for anything. Remember Woodward and Bertsein had Deep Throat Mark Felt

I bet it was Perry. haha.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Supposedly Politico has been working on that story for at least 10 days...and the Cain Campaign has completely bumbled the response while Politico was working it up.

I think that is the key here. His denials may not be due to any sort of guilt - I think the Cainpaign is just a collection of inexperienced people who were not ready for the sudden rise into the spotlight, and they, like he, are stumbling pretty badly. Cain will fade like Perry and Bachmann did. Gingrich might be the next flavor of the month.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
I think that is the key here. His denials may not be due to any sort of guilt - I think the Cainpaign is just a collection of inexperienced people who were not ready for the sudden rise into the spotlight, and they, like he, are stumbling pretty badly. Cain will fade like Perry and Bachmann did. Gingrich might be the next flavor of the month.

I still think Gingrich has a chance. I would like to see him debate Obama.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
I still think Gingrich has a chance. I would like to see him debate Obama.

In some ways, I like Gingrich better than any of the other candidates. I think he is very sharp, he has a track record of working across the aisle, and he's very legislatively savvy. Of course he is also the biggest asshole amongst the den of assholes.