Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
I have to imagine that the American companies have plenty of foreign employees as well. And that, to me, was why I never understood the whole "rah rah, buy American" bulls***. They're "American" in that they were founded here, period.

Well, and the profits mostly stay here, and the higher paying upper management jobs are mostly here. There is a little more to it than you characterize.

Still, I overall agree that the buy American stuff is a bit silly at this point. There are foreign cars with higher American parts and manufacture content than some American cars at this point.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
Well, and the profits mostly stay here, and the higher paying upper management jobs are mostly here. There is a little more to it than you characterize.

Still, I overall agree that the buy American stuff is a bit silly at this point. There are foreign cars with higher American parts and manufacture content than some American cars at this point.

Nobody cares about that, to get right down to it. "Buy American" is usually meant to help the average guy working on the floor of the Ford plant. If Ford really gave two s***s about those people, like they want us to, they'd put more time into making a better car. More people would then buy them and they'd be able to hire more people in America.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
Nobody cares about that, to get right down to it. "Buy American" is usually meant to help the average guy working on the floor of the Ford plant. If Ford really gave two s***s about those people, like they want us to, they'd put more time into making a better car. More people would then buy them and they'd be able to hire more people in America.

The argument about making better cars is a decade or two stale. GM and Ford products have improved a lot in that time, in fact until recently Ford was right there with Lexus near the top in reliability. I don't do the Buy American thing, I buy the best car for my needs - sometimes its a Ford or GM product, sometimes it isn't.

Chrysler, on the other hand, has been a garbage brand all along.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)

Also the engineering

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
The argument about making better cars is a decade or two stale. GM and Ford products have improved a lot in that time, in fact until recently Ford was right there with Lexus near the top in reliability. I don't do the Buy American thing, I buy the best car for my needs - sometimes its a Ford or GM product, sometimes it isn't.

Chrysler, on the other hand, has been a garbage brand all along.

100% agreed

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Hey, Toyota does employ a good number of American workers. (Thanks in no small part to a Reagan era trade war regulation requiring them to do so to continue selling their products here).

^^^

post of the day.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
This is pretty embarrassing:

RomneyRallyDetroit2-12-e1330103805222.jp

Romney campaign speech in Detriot

They couldn't possibly have thought that they would have that many people attend a primary campaign stop.

Edit: Was he making a speech about the American auto industry or something at Ford Field?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
They couldn't possibly have thought that they would have that many people attend a primary campaign stop.

Edit: Was he making a speech about the American auto industry or something at Ford Field?

Make some excuse and change to a smaller venue or something. Less than 2000 people at a stadium that holds more than 60,000. Even a basketball stadium would look pretty sparse with 2000 people.

He was making a general economics speech but I'd guess that the auto companies played a big role. Still, you have to think about the images that would come out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

With 5 to 10 thousand people, they could have made that event look huge, actually. If your stage is just past the end zone, the cameras only see one portion of the stadium.

Jeb Bush:

"I used to be a conservative, and I watch these debates and I’m wondering, I don’t think I’ve changed, but it’s a little troubling sometimes when people are appealing to people’s fears and emotion rather than trying to get them to look over the horizon for a broader perspective, and that’s kind of where we are,"
Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
He just openly said he "used to be a conservative" and essentially trashed movement conservatives who are driving their party off of a cliff. I doubt it.

Like when John McCain ruined his Republican career during his brief flirtation with being a centrist.