Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
ugh :(

What we do with them? Private sales?

Turn them over to the states who could do with them as they please. This could mean maintaining a state park or selling or leasing the land for development. The Grand Canyon was almost leased for mining rights several times, and many states have sold off state parks in recent years to combat budget deficits.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
Turn them over to the states who could do with them as they please. This could mean maintaining a state park or selling or leasing the land for development. The Grand Canyon was almost leased for mining rights several times, and many states have sold off state parks in recent years to combat budget deficits.

And what would the upside of this be? Other than just decentralization of power?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
And what would the upside of this be? Other than just decentralization of power?

It would ostensibly be about decentralization of power like other states' rights arguments, but it would just so happen to benefit commercial interests at the expense of everyone else.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
It would ostensibly be about decentralization of power like other states' rights arguments, but it would just so happen to benefit commercial interests at the expense of everyone else.

And you know once the first state stuck their toe in this water and survived the PR hit the rest of them would eventually follow...then the protesters would arrive...oh, what a mess this would be...

Sometimes people need to be saved from themselves...this would be one such instance.

I've been watching Ken Burns' National Parks docu and planning a trip to Yosemite lately, so this really struck a cord with me. Yosemite was seriously mismanaged by the state of California.

edit: honestly, if they were trying to turn over the national parks to private ownership, I'd be right there with the rest of the protesters.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
I've been watching Ken Burns' National Parks docu and planning a trip to Yosemite lately, so this really struck a cord with me. Yosemite was seriously mismanaged by the state of California.

edit: honestly, if they were trying to turn over the national parks to private ownership, I'd be right there with the rest of the protesters.

Yeah, that is a great series. I have had it on my dvr for 2+ years now.

I think I'd be right there with you protesting...I'm just saying the whole scenario would be a mess.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
(We're also getting to the part of the race where a national poll actually has a bit of relevance...since we're about 3.5 weeks from "Super Tuesday")

National poll still equals irrelevant. At best, it is marketing. It is meaningless for any real purpose, during the primaries AND the general.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
National poll still equals irrelevant. At best, it is marketing. It is meaningless for any real purpose, during the primaries AND the general.

When there are 10 states all voting on a single day, spread out across the country, with a couple big ones (Ohio, Virginia), and only a week after the previous set of races, yes it actually matters, because there's no obvious single geographic or local trend that is going to override the national one. Yeah, it's still technically 10 individual states, but if one candidate has a solid national lead going into that sort of election, then he's going to walk away with a solid win on that day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
When there are 10 states all voting on a single day, spread out across the country, with a couple big ones (Ohio, Virginia), and only a week after the previous set of races, yes it actually matters

yep

Edited by mr_genius

Here's the full poll.

Riding a wave of momentum from his trio of victories on Tuesday Rick Santorum has opened up a wide lead in PPP's newest national poll. He's at 38% to 23% for Mitt Romney, 17% for Newt Gingrich, and 13% for Ron Paul.

Part of the reason for Santorum's surge is his own high level of popularity. 64% of voters see him favorably to only 22% with a negative one. But the other, and maybe more important, reason is that Republicans are significantly souring on both Romney and Gingrich. Romney's favorability is barely above water at 44/43, representing a 23 point net decline from our December national poll when he was +24 (55/31). Gingrich has fallen even further. A 44% plurality of GOP voters now hold a negative opinion of him to only 42% with a positive one. That's a 34 point drop from 2 months ago when he was at +32 (60/28).

Santorum is now completely dominating with several key segments of the electorate, especially the most right leaning parts of the party. With those describing themselves as 'very conservative,' he's now winning a majority of voters at 53% to 20% for Gingrich and 15% for Romney. Santorum gets a majority with Tea Party voters as well at 51% to 24% for Gingrich and 12% for Romney. And with Evangelicals he falls just short of a majority with 45% to 21% for Gingrich and 18% for Romney.

It used to be that Gingrich was leading with all these groups and Romney was staying competitive enough with them to hold the overall lead. No more- a consensus conservative candidate finally seems to be emerging and it's Santorum.

The best thing Romney might have going for him right now is Gingrich's continued presence in the race. If Gingrich dropped out 58% of his supporters say they would move to Santorum, while 22% would go to Romney and 17% to Paul. Santorum gets to 50% in the Newt free field to 28% for Romney and 15% for Paul.

Of course if there's been one constant theme in this GOP race it's that once you get to the top you tend to start heading back down. Only 48% of voters say they're solidly committed to their current candidate choice, while 52% say they're open to changing their minds. Santorum's support isn't that solid and when Romney uses his superior resources to pulverize him, we could see this lead evaporate just as quickly as it was built up. But for now there's been a stunning reversal in the race and Santorum's your new leader.

PPP is out with Michigan data, they have Santorum up 15 over rMoney in a state that should be rMoney's prime real estate, since his dad was their governor. Pretty small sample size, but the lead is well outside margin of error.

Rmoney needs to turn this around quick, if he can't score solidly on the 28th, he'll be in real, real trouble a week later for Super Tuesday.

Also, a number of conservative papers/orgs have begun calling for Newt to withdraw from the field, to clear it out so that it can be straight Santorum/Rmoney.

There appears to be 1 scheduled debate before Arizona and Michigan vote, on the 22nd.

Edit: ARG is also out this morning showing a 6 point Santorum lead in Michigan...they have Rmoney at a similar level, but they show a larger gingrich share than PPP does.

Rmoney with an anti-bailout, union/Obama piece Op-ed in the Detroit Free Press.

I don't know if the Republicans in Michigan are as anti-auto-bailout as Republicans elsewhere, but bringing extra focus on this issue doesn't seem like the best strategy to gain support in that state. Am I wrong?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Birther heads will explode.

No they wont, because he's a Republican, so of COURSE he's a citizen.

I'd love a Santorum candidacy. He'd be roundly whipped by Obama. Independents will NOT go for Santorum's fanaticism.

Rick Santorum may have some ballot access issues in Indiana. He's required to submit 500 signatures in each of Indiana's congressional districts, but in Marion county some of his signatures have been challenged. Perhaps his big worry...the guy at the top of the decision list is one of Romney's indiana campaign co-chairs...and thus, Santorum's ballot access depends on whether that guy is serious when he says he can be impartial.