Question about MLB.com Blackout rules

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:08 AM)
I live in Chicago. If I subscribe to mlb.com, will any White Sox games be available to me?

Nope. I subscribed last year and didn't get any WS games. You can get them once they've been archived. That's it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Counter question: if I subscribe, will I get every game in Virginia? Everything I hear about the coverage revolves around blackouts; I don't want to spend all that money and not get all of the games.

You should, I got them all in St. Louis last year.

What ever part of the country you live in, your local teams will be blacked out. I live in Toledo which is Tigers/Indians/Reds market. I had it in 2008 and whenever we played the Indians or Tigers it was blacked out on MLB.com, but it wasn't a big deal because I could just watch it on TV.

And IIRC, Fox Saturday Baseball games are also unavailable on MLB.tv, not sure about Sunday night though.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
Counter question: if I subscribe, will I get every game in Virginia? Everything I hear about the coverage revolves around blackouts; I don't want to spend all that money and not get all of the games.

Go here to see which teams games are blacked out in your area:

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp#blackout

For instance, I put in a zip code for Arlington, VA (don't know where in VA you live) and it said that Nationals and Orioles games are blacked out--so you would not be able to watch the games v. the Orioles if you are in the blackout area.

The blackout rules do suck, but I guess I can kind of understand not getting Sox/Cubs games if you live IN Chicago. But according to the website if you live in Des Moines, Iowa, you dont get games for the Twins, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, Cubs, and Brewers. You live over 200/300 miles away from the nearest team, but on any given day 6 of the 15 games could be blacked out for you. What the hell?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
If you somehow register with a bogus address in another country, can you avoid the blackout rules?

For example, someone on this site is in Brazil right now, if he registered with a Brazilian address, I bet he avoids all blackouts.

They would know where you are based on your ISP.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
That & your IP address. Although, I think there are ways of masking your IP.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, IP address. I suppose if you had some proxy in Brazil or wherever you might be able to trick them, but this is beyond my personal knowledge so I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, they do it somehow based on where you are connecting to the Internet. So if you, for example, a traveling salesman who lives in Chicago, you won't get any of the games on your computer when home, but when you are on the road you will.

Your credit card address doesn't really matter.

Edited by Linnwood

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
The blackout rules do suck, but I guess I can kind of understand not getting Sox/Cubs games if you live IN Chicago. But according to the website if you live in Des Moines, Iowa, you dont get games for the Twins, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, Cubs, and Brewers. You live over 200/300 miles away from the nearest team, but on any given day 6 of the 15 games could be blacked out for you. What the hell?

It sucks

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
And you'd have to spend a decent amount of money for a proxy fast enough to handle streaming video.

Just buy a slingbox and get a buddy with a cable box to hook it up

Ding! Ding! Ding! This is the answer. Since I moved out of state, I set up a Slingbox at my brother's house in the Chicago area. I watch all televised Sox and Bears games through that now. It's well worth it.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Go here to see which teams games are blacked out in your area:

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp#blackout

For instance, I put in a zip code for Arlington, VA (don't know where in VA you live) and it said that Nationals and Orioles games are blacked out--so you would not be able to watch the games v. the Orioles if you are in the blackout area.

In fact I do live in Arlington. Already getting excited for when the Sox come play the Nats here this summer, can't beat $5 tickets and sitting wherever I want! Hoping to make it up to a few games a Camden, too.