Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
I'm not sure what you're missing here. I was commenting on your words to someone else:

"Again, I find it ironic, then, that you want to trade away the talent that we'd have cheaply for 6 years in the future for a one or two year player we can't afford to re-sign."

You're right, it doesn't have anything to do with signing or not-signing Damon. I never said that it did.

Right, which was about how he said we weren't thinking about the budget and wasting a 100 mill. payroll. I was saying keeping these prospects was very cost effective compared to having to plug in veterans.

But yes, considering our history and where our budget will likely be in 2 years, and the fact that Adrian Gonzalez will net one of the leadin contracts in the MLB, it's a pretty safe bet.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
I think I'd rather have Blalock than Nix, if that's what we're discussing. You already have Vizquel to back up the two MI positions and occasionally 3B, and Blalock can cover 3B on rare occasion, 1B more often, but mostly be a DH.

If I'm signing Damon, I'd keep Nix and go with an 11 man pitching staff because Nix is a better defensive backup and I don't trust a 44 year old as my only infield backup.

If I'm not signing Damon, then I'd so love to go with Blalock instead of Nix and a 12 man staff.

That's why I think the context is important there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
If we sign damon i get rid of kotsay. But I know we won't.

Wow, you're gonna hate him even if the DH situation is resolved by Damon? Call me crazy, but I think Kotsay is pretty great to have off the bench. Besides, who else will back up 1b?

EDIT: I can see trading him for a proper CI backup, though. One who can play both 3b and 1b.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
Wow, you're gonna hate him even if the DH situation is resolved by Damon? Call me crazy, but I think Kotsay is pretty great to have off the bench. Besides, who else will back up 1b?

Yah I would love Kotsay off the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
If I'm signing Damon, I'd keep Nix and go with an 11 man pitching staff because Nix is a better defensive backup and I don't trust a 44 year old as my only infield backup.

If I'm not signing Damon, then I'd so love to go with Blalock instead of Nix and a 12 man staff.

That's why I think the context is important there.

The bolded is what I was getting at.

But I see no big need for Nix even if we do sign Damon. That's what Vizquel is there for, and the likelihood of us seeing Vizquel come into a game and then in the SAME GAME another IF gets hurt, is extremely small. Its not a scenario that I'd screw up the roster for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
He's a guy who can drive in runs too. I'd rather not waste that.

On this team, that's certainly a consideration. But the way I see it, Damon would be the only one on the roster with a leadoff hitter's skill set. (Outside of maybe Beckham, who has less base-stealing ability and I don't want taking extra pitches right now.)

JMO, but I'd probably go: Damon, Beckham, Quentin, PK,.... and bat Pierre 9th. Damon's gap power would mesh nicely with Pierre's speed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
Really? I'd rather he lead off than Pierre.

I would as well, but would be OK with him batting 2nd if the Sox sign him. That way Damon's OBP can still be effective for the 3-4-5 hitters and if Pierre gets on Damon will take some pitches to give him an opportunity to steal 2nd and Damon can have an opportunity to drive him in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
You dont have to believe my sources. Not a big deal. No need to try and make fun of me though.

yeah, I think your sources have been solid in the past, and it's not like you're on here everyday posting something claiming they're from sources.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
yeah, I think your sources have been solid in the past, and it's not like you're on here everyday posting something claiming they're from sources.

I take it that Rock's source has bad news regarding Damon?